2.0 out of 5 stars Nice to look at...painful to listen to...doesn't last long (UPDATE), June 2, 2011
This review is from: Coby LEDTV2326 23-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV/Monitor (Black) (Electronics)
7/30/14 UPDATE - I took the TV apart to see if I could find anything to explain the edgelight dropping out randomly, and did find a ribbon cable with a very loose connection. I re-seated it and haven't seen any issues so far. I also found a label on the LCD panel itself that explains why the picture quality is as good as it is - my unit has a Samsung panel. For this I am adding back one star. I can't add more because the average consumer shouldn't have to disassemble their TV to get it to work properly.

11/14/11 UPDATE (moved to the top per commenter suggestion) - after five short months of use, the LED edgelight is failing. It will start to flicker, then go completely black. If you look closely, you can see that the LCD screen is still producing an image, but there is no backlight. With the piddly 90 day warranty, I'm out $200. Stick to the major brands. Don't buy this.

I bought the Coby LEDTV2326 after researching affordable tvs to replace a failing Audiovox LCD TV/DVD combo I've had in my kitchen for six years. It gets a lot of use, as the kitchen is the hub of our house. I decided to forego the built-in DVD player, as convenient as it has been, because I wanted to keep the price down, and I have two extra DVD players just collecting dust in the basement. One sits atop the fridge now.

Upon unboxing, I was impressed with the thin, sleek build of the Coby. Five minutes later it was hooked up and searching for channels...it's that easy. I have it connected to standard cable, so it found the expected 58 or so SD channels. I was surprised to see that it also found 45 HD channels...I expected some, thanks to its QAM tuner, but not nearly that many. Bonus.

HD picture quality is beautiful. I can't say anything more.

SD picture quality is sub-par when compared to other HDTVs I own, and others I've seen. It's not great...but its watchable.

DVD quality (480p) is quite good. Not HD, but very crisp. Blows SD cable away.

One more thing to note about the picture - I can definitely see bright spotting around the perimeter when the screen is totally black...this indicates poor back (edge) lighting. Were it my main tv, it would go back for this. It's a kitchen tv. No big deal.

Now for the sound...I've never heard worse sound quality from any tv in my life...and I'm a videophile, so I've experienced a lot of tvs. It sounds like you're trying to listen via a pair of crappy headphones sitting on the table in front of you. It's literally unbearable. Thank God they included a headphone jack. I bought a $25 pair of decent computer speakers to solve the problem. It sounds great now.

Overall, if you're looking for a good display for mainly HD or DVD duty, and you're willing to augment (replace) the included sound with a cheap pair of computer speakers, buy this tv. It's definitely worth two bills. If, however, you don't like the idea of separate speakers and just want a plug-and-play tv, buy something else...one with forward-facing speakers (hard to find, but obvious due to the perforated grilles you'll see under the screen). Any display this size with down-facing speakers (the majority) is going to sound like crap.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2011 4:30:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2011 4:31:18 AM PST
I'm sorry to hear that, but it doesn't surprise. I've purchased a couple COBY products in the past (CD player, DVD player) and they both failed VERY quickly. It's easy to get suckered by COBY's low prices, but experience shows they're just not worth the risk. Your final word of advice (stick to major brands) is hard-earned but solid.

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 3:55:15 AM PST
Analog Kid says:
"Videophiles" don't buy Coby.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 5:09:37 AM PST
D. Bouley says:
Really? What do videophiles buy for their kitchen, then, genius? A 50" Panasonic plasma? Sorry, I reserved that for my HT room. The wife didn't like the idea of losing all that cupboard space.
For those who don't think they already know everything - being a videophile doesn't mean you have to spend top dollar on every piece of equipment in your house. It's about the pursuit. Don't let guys like 'Analog Kid' (emphasis on kid, I'd wager) scare you.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 8:43:33 AM PDT
Thanks for an excellent review. I will steer clear of this one!

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 10:27:23 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 24, 2012 10:34:07 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 10:20:59 AM PDT
Reece Ram says:
Your review seemed like the product was ok at first. if i had not had a chance to read all the way through i might have though this was not so bad of a product. just a suggestions put the updates at the top so the most relevant information is read first. Thanks for the review i will not be spending any of my money on this product.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 4:57:26 PM PDT
Glad I read the reviews as all complained about sound quality. Off my list. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 4:06:19 PM PDT
redstick says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 10:27:18 AM PST
Yeorwned says:
'Analog Kid' is right though. Videophiles don't by Coby. You are also right that a videophile doesn't mean you spend money blindly but you definitely don't go down to the bargain basement even for your kitchen. Be content in your status as an average consumer, not a videophile.

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 3:36:47 PM PDT
noober says:
@ D. Bouley

Thank you for your helpful comments. Too bad I already have a Coby.

This unit has the worst sound on any TV set I have ever owned. No comparison with any of the others, it just stinks.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (634 customer reviews)

$279.99 $191.84