1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money. Definitely NOT remastered!, February 13, 2005
This review is from: Rescue From Gilligan's Island (DVD)
I saw all the bad reviews here, and because of Amazon's confusing policy of posting reviews for ALL the various DVD editions of a particular movie together on the same page, I thought that they must all be referring to the older version that sells for 5 bucks.

When I read Amazon's description for the new 2004 edition released by Westlake Entertainment Group, it said "Format: Original recording remastered, Color, Digital Sound". So I thought this must be a new version nobody had dared to try out yet due to all the negative reviews, and went ahead and forked out the extra 10 bucks to try it.

Well, I'm here to warn you that about the only thing accurate about Amazon's description is that the movie is in colour (faded, yellowed, scratched colour, yes). Although the DVD package claims it has Dolby, the sound is terribly muffled and clearly NOT Dolby quality at all. And NOWHERE on the package does it say anything about being remastered. I don't know where Amazon got this crazy idea, because this company obviously has never even heard of the word "remastered". The picture quality is terrible and the film itself is in very lousy shape.

As for the movie, although it's a key piece in the Gilligan story, unfortunately the writing really drags. You'll find yourself wanting to hit the fast-forward a lot. And with the exception of Mary Ann and maybe Mrs. Howell, it seems that in the intervening years the others have gotten out of practice and forgotten how to act, as they deliver their lines in a very lame and flat way. I found myself missing the brilliant non-stop comedic punch of the original series, as a lot of the comedy here instead seems very awkward and forced, and just falls on its face. Also there is a new Ginger, and while she does do a pretty good job of looking the part, she hasn't mastered Tina Louise's breathy, sexy way of delivering the lines.

So overall I feel like I wasted a lot of good money on a garbage-quality DVD of a very lame movie I probably won't want to watch again. Over the past year I've been stung so many times by el cheap-o outfits putting out shoddy DVDs like this that I am getting so fed up I'm seriously thinking of stopping buying DVDs altogether! I think the industry has got to start setting some standards for quality and policing itself or something. The situation right now is ridiculous! Till then, all we can do is withhold our hard-earned $$$.

So anyway, you have been warned, so don't let them rip YOU off this time too!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 27, 2008 12:34:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 27, 2008 12:41:11 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 27, 2008 12:37:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2008 12:42:40 PM PDT
Avalon Don says:
Tina Louise didn't like the show or Ginger. She wanted way more $$$ than the rest of the cast to come back. Judith Baldwin does a decent Ginger. I agree the transfer is horrible. It's best to watch this on a 19 inch TV. I will say "Attack Of The Crab Monsters" is ten times worse. I was glad to see them rescued and the celebration in Hawaii. We do though need a reissue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2009 1:57:45 PM PST
Bobby Brady says:
Originally they told Louise she'd be the star of the show. Should've been called Ginger's Island. Heh heh!

I agree this needs some serious work for a future DVD release. Why they didn't do so when they did the 3 seasons is beyond me. Very strange. At least we have it in some form. I picked up a differnet DVD, one that included some western I never bothered with. The over the hill gang or something? Will probably give that a look one day...before I"m dead.

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 9:12:02 AM PST
A really remastered DVD of the movie is scheduled for release in 2011. We'll see if that one is any good. It seems every copy of this movie is taken from a bad VCR tape, and it has a good protion of the show missing too. A laugh track would have helped a lot too, hopefully the new DVD has one.

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 2:03:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2014 2:03:46 PM PDT
Spike says:
_______________
Perhaps one of the reasons is that this movie is the very first Gilligan's Island episode not to feature canned laughter, which at least in MY opinion, is an improvement.

I've often wondered how funny MANY of the comedies in the 1960s would be if the canned laughter weren't there. Many may actually become dramas or soap operas. Rescue from Gilligan's Island may be the first experiment.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.2 out of 5 stars (203 customer reviews)

$13.49