Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now STEM

1.0 out of 5 stars The only book I've ever returned, July 31, 2011
This review is from: The Paleo Diet Cookbook: More Than 150 Recipes for Paleo Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Beverages (Paperback)
What a disappointment. I've never returned a book before now, but honestly, this one was a dust collector right off the bat. Baked apples? Seriously? I don't know many people who don't know how to put some cinnamom and nutmeg on an apple and put it in the oven. I need a recipe book for that? Maybe it's because of the incredibly strict rules that Cordain follows. Get off grains? Oh yes. Loose the sugar? Absolutely. Avoid soy, corn and other processed oils at all costs? Too right. Toss the processed food? You bet. Try to find grass fed, pastured, free range and organic? I'm with you. But if you then remove all dairy (cheese, butter, cream) and go low fat (why you would do this I have no idea), it's pretty darn hard to create a dessert.

Here's my take on paleo eating in a nutshell (it'll save you the price of a cookbook): Cook some grass fed, free range or pastured meat or wild fish (the size of your palm is about right), put it on your plate and fill the rest of the plate up with organic veggies and salad (raw is always good). Snack on nuts. Easy on the fruit (berries are the best!) and heavy on the veggies. Stay far, far away from sugar, grains, beans, soy, processed stuff and food covered in chemicals. Don't eat animals that were fed these things, either. Dairy? Some say no, some say okay. Honey? Same thing.

Want to approximate your old favorites? Cauliflower is life's wonder food: use it in place of rice or potatoes. Spaghetti squash is pasta, as is zucchini. Cabbage can be lasagna noodles. Romain lettuce leaves = wraps for just about anything you could put in a sandwich. Turnip and rutabagas do just about anything potatoes can do. High heat frying can be done in pork fat, beef tallow or (to some extent) coconut oil.

Want to make desserts? Bake with almond meal and coconut flour. Use stevia or xylitol to sweeten (both are natural sweeteners). Use coconut oil, butter and olive oil. Eggs and cream help a lot. Organic feta and cream cheese can be found. That's if you eat dairy. If not, you can still do some baking with coconut oil and eggs. You can make SUPERB ice cream with premium coconut milk (the high fat stuff), stevia, eggs and some melted Lindt 99% chocolate. No sugar, no dairy, total paleo, and you won't believe your taste buds.

Anyway, this book offered nothing new, and certainly nothing worth writing (or reading) about. No pictures, no new ideas, no fun, some items really hard to find...just not much there to love.

Pick up The Primal Blueprint Cookbook if you're looking for paleo meals, or a good low carb recipe book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 14, 2011 4:30:41 PM PDT
B, I couldn't agree more. And your "paleo in a nutshell" advice is helpful even after reading a few paleo cookbooks. I need to try more rutabagas and turnips, and your cabbage leaf advice is brilliant. Thanks for such a helpful review.

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 9:51:28 AM PDT
Great description and summary!

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 12:20:14 PM PDT
BernerMom says:
Loved your review, probably because it fit so very well with my own experience. But I also appreciated the "nutshell" version of the reviewed book. Thanks! Ghee (clarified butter) is also good for high temp cooking, plus good for travel as it doesn't need refrigeration. Xylitol is not a natural sweetener despite manufacturer's claims and some people (like myself) have severe reactions (bowel pain for 3 days, in fetal position). Be careful about recommending it. Cabbage as lasagna leaves sounds god awful to me, but I've used thin sliced eggplant or zucchini, the latter of which is nicely formed for such.

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 3:16:41 AM PDT
Excellent review, but in the author's defense, the baked apple recipe was probably put in there for me. When I'm hungry and I just can't figure out "what can I have?". Oh! There's a simple recipe I could make quickly!

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 2:02:25 PM PDT
I hate reviews like this. It comes across as incredibly arrogant, snide, and just plain rude. It may not have helped you but I'm sure more than a few have found it helpful. It's clear you have read quite a few books on the Paleo lifestyle so I'm not quite sure why you bought this book to begin with. It's very clear that it leans towards beginners. So instead of being a jerk about it how about look in the mirror and realize you shouldn't have bought this book to begin with.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011 2:52:41 PM PDT
I disagree, K. This book is touted as THE book to read about Paleo life, and it just doesn't live up to the hype. This review is of the cookbook, too, so it is reasonable to expect that we will get some interesting ideas about what to cook or maybe some photos. But I, at least, did not, and it's clear the reviewer did not either. It's not snide to say that there are better books for the beginner out there. This book isn't the best for beginners OR for more advanced paleo eaters. Its only cred is that it was one of the first. That's not good enough to warrant a purchase, in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 2:26:19 PM PST
W. Fisher says:

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 11:48:27 PM PST
H.A. Barker says:
Dude, you should write a book.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 9:13:45 AM PST
jenn says:
Actually, K. Hemmerling, you are the one who sounds arrogant, snide and rude. I do not know the author of the original post, but thought their review was one of the most helpful I have seen. You should take your own advice and look in the mirror before calling people names. Sad.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 12:28:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2012 12:33:19 PM PST
K you seem to have issues....The people it helped can write a shimmering review and allis well! I loved the review, it got to the matter of things and gave me the insight I was looking for.I saw no rudeness except in your reply to this person's review. I get tired of people who write uniformative reviews and ones that aren't really reviews but whinning, like I am now....lol.....P,S, I know the Author he is a professor at CSU in Ft Collins, CO.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›