4.0 out of 5 stars Avant garde performer, low light champion., May 7, 2011
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX230 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 14x Image Stabilized Zoom 28mm Wide-Angle Lens and 1080p Full-HD Video (Black) (OLD MODEL) (Camera)
I have canon sx210-IS for almost a year now, but when my baby spilled water over it, it stopped working and the cost of repair estimated by Canon repair service was costing me almost equal to a new sx210-IS price, that was when I decided to buy this upgraded version from Canon.

Most of features of this camera were also the part of its predecessor, but let's focus on the new features which make this one better than its' predecessor:-

*Low light support: This is the most talked about feature, and this was be one of 'THE reasons' I chose this camera and it really worth a pat on back for this . The results are really amazing for a point and shoot category camera.

*Super slow motion video: The results are really awesome. It is amazing to see my baby; flipping her hair and running, trying to catch a butterfly - in super slow motion! I should say that the slow motion option with 240 fps is for brightly lit places; otherwise the results are not that good.

*Full HD video: This definitely is an improvement over sx210 is, which can only shoot 720p videos. This makes the video quality of sx 230-HS exceptional.

*GPS tracker: It is a nice to have feature. I used it once but, this sucks the battery so I keep this option off, all the time.

Other features worth mentioning:-
*14x zoom: It is really amazing how they are able to put 14x zoom in such small body. It is worth mentioning the fact that these super zooms are only effective if they come with automatic image stabilization feature and let me ensure you that this camera as its' predecessor - sx210, does this job exceedingly well.

*12 mega pixels: Although SX 210 has 14 mega pixels but I would not consider this as a degrade. Too many pixels packed in a small camera, do not do any good to image quality (though my wife still considers this as a degrade, can't help)

*The low wait time: Between two shots is definitely an improvement over sx210.

*Battery life: The charge drains out fast, so would advise you to have a standby battery with you if you are planning to go out with this camera. This was the main reason I did not give it 5 star rating.

Conclusion: I would recommend this camera to all of you who are not satisfied with the image quality of your camera and are looking for a camera which gives nice indoor image quality, specially under low lights. I am using this camera for almost a month now and I am loving it and also bought a hard case for it this time :) remember...

Edit:
Suggestions-
* Wish I could edit, and upload my pics and videos online, straight from the camera thru wifi.
* A camera mode to capture time lapse videos, a feature similar to the one provided by some of the iPhone/iPad apps.
I know I am asking for too much but my assertion is, if a free iPhone app can do this then why can't a decent canon camera?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 9, 2011 8:31:10 AM PDT
NexusOwner says:
what kind of case did you buy for it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2011 12:28:44 PM PDT
NJ's dad says:
rooCASE Nylon Hard Shell (Black) Carrying Case with Memory Foam for Canon PowerShot SX230 HS GPS-enabled Digital Camera

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 6:13:23 PM PDT
My problem with my cameras is that when in a setting other than auto the pics come out blurry if my subject moves at all..but sometimes the auto is just not the perfect setting for the situation. How does this camera do with motion?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 10:55:32 AM PDT
NJ's dad says:
IMHO, the blurriness does not depend upon the camera mode like, Auto, A, M, P... It depends upon the shutter speed and to some extent, on the ambient light conditions, exposure etc. rather. Higher the speed lower the blurriness. But this comes at the expense of the picture noise.
For more info check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_speed or do a google search with shutter speed and image blur.
As far as this camera (sx 230) is concerned I have taken good pics with different pic modes, I have also seen image blurriness in some cases. Hope this helps

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 8:33:53 PM PST
now what says:
Nice review, thanks. Very informative. You are totally correct about the pixel count. 14MP is too much for the small sensor in this type of camera. Consumers thought high MP count was "in," but after a certain point all it does is create electronic "noise" in the image and generate tiny spots and a grainy look. 12 or even 10MP is plenty for this type of camera. Many camera makers have reduced MP count precisely because it was damaging IQ. To use a common analogy, putting more small buckets in a small space doesn't allow you to collect any more water. A few slightly larger buckets will do the job better.
I just wish this camera had some sort of viewfinder--the LCD screens are really tough to see in bright outdoor light situations. :(

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 6:17:02 PM PST
DJK says:
While the camera cannot send photos via WiFi, if you get the eyeFi SD card, it can send photos to your computer. They aren't expensive and do indeed work well.

Dave

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 1:23:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 1:23:33 PM PST
NJ's dad says:
Thanks @DJK, will check this out.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 5:30:35 PM PDT
Ann0d says:
what brand spare batteries do you buy? Someone told those ones that are like 3 dollars sold here work well? Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 7:06:11 AM PDT
Hi Ann0d,
I am using battery from my previous camera (sx 210-is), that stopped working. I'm not much sure about spare batteries but there r many nb 5l batteries available on Amazon and have got reviews too.

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 2:41:50 PM PDT
J. Gibbs says:
Thanks so much for this awesome review. I think I just made a decision on a new camera, finally. My old Sony (not sure what model but 5 years old) doesnt have great video quality, and its low light settings are awful. I have recently tried to blow up some pictures from my old camera and they just turned out pixelated because of the poor settings on the camera. The old one has worked up until now, but I am taking hundreds of pics a month now of my new baby, and lots of short videos.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›