5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable for people with sensitive systems !, February 15, 2007
This review is from: The Acid-Alkaline Diet for Optimum Health: Restore Your Health by Creating Balance in Your Diet (Paperback)
I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue some years ago, and I have been suffering from bad digestive problems, insomnia and various other ailments for a long time.

This book has made a huge difference to my life. I came to it thinking I knew quite a lot about diet and nutrition, but it has opened my eyes. Most importantly, it has made me understand why some "healthy" foods that many nutritionists insist are "really good for you" make me feel unwell.

Of course asparagus, onions and garlic are "really good" for many people, but sadly they're not good for me. I feel unwell when I eat them, and Vasey is the first person who has given me an explanation that feels right: they are sulfurous vegetables, and sulfur being an acid, they can be hard to handle for a system that's become as weak and sensitized to acids as mine.

There were many other revelations. You come across so much conflicting advice, sometimes it's hard to know what to believe. Some people tell you to eat lots of fruit "because they're alkalizing". Others, like Young, tell you not to eat them "because of the sugar". Who do you believe ? Well, neither advice made sense to me because my own experience was different. How could fruit be alkalizing when I felt so unwell after eating most of them ? Yet how could it be because of the sugar since I was doing well on "sugary" bananas ?

Again, it is Vasey who has given me the answers: for some people fruit are alkalizing, for others they are acidifying. It depends on the person. Some people's systems aren't able to metabolize fruit acids, and therefore eating fruit can acidify them even more, but since the banana's acid content is too weak to cause acidification it is usually well tolerated by them. I believe Vasey is right because of personal experience. Tomatoes, too, make me feel unwell, and he confirms that they're very acidic. The list goes on.

In fact, this book has been one long confirmation of my "gut feeling". What a relief to finally find someone who's spelling out what my body has been telling me for years ! I just wish I'd listened to it sooner. Vasey is a godsend, and I believe he really knows what he's talking about.

So I'm puzzled by some of the other reviews here. One reader even claims that Vasey says soy is alkaline. Did we read the same book ? Vasey in fact says soy is a potent acidifier, it only becomes alkalizing if it is sprouted. It is Young who champions soy, not Vasey.

The supplement section in this book is indeed useless. The author is Swiss, and there is a tradition of taking alkalizing powders in continental Europe, where you can find them quite easily in the shops. It's not so easy here. I did try the mail order addresses mentioned, but the products didn't work for me. I even wonder how much Vasey actually had to do with the mail order addresses for the American edition of his book, as he would never have approved of some of the products on offer there. He would never have approved of a product that includes lots of phosphorus, for example, as it's simply too acidic for a sensitive system to cope with. So yes, this section is a weak point. It's not that big a deal, though. We have excellent calcium/magnesium citrate supplements in the shops here, and they do the trick for me.

It's also true that this book doesn't give you detailed eating plans and recipes the way some books do. What it does give you is a lot of invaluable information. Vasey understands that there will never be a "one size fits all" diet that works for everyone. Every'body' is different, and ultimately you have to find out for yourself what works for you. Nobody can do that for you.

Of course not everything in this book will be right for you, I don't eat dairy, for example. But Vasey has given me the information and confidence I needed to work out the right diet for ME.

The most important thing of all: listen to your body !

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 17, 2007 5:44:57 AM PDT
T. Wolfe says:

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 1:57:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2013 4:47:23 AM PDT
Your review was very helpful to me. Just to think I was going to start eating alot of tomatoes because a medical student told me they were extremely healthy. I do check this website, (which you may like alot) nutritiondata dot self dot com. You can put a food item in it's search and it will tell you alot about the food including calories, sugar content and acid/alkaline. I love that site, use it alot. Anyway, until I can muster enough money to buy this book can you please comment back, and list some good foods to eat in your opinion since your body seems similar to mine. I would appreciate that. I was really surprised what you said about bananas and feeling well, because it gives me a new view on them. I always looked at them as a fruit loaded w/starch and sugars. Thanks.

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 10:10:54 PM PDT
Sasha V says:
The reason why fruits are acidic to you is because you haven't detox and are ACIDIC already!! the fruits are detoxifying. Unless your body is clean and detoxed the fruits are going to feel acidic. In reality they are actually working and cleansing your body naturally. I lived on a fruitarian lifestyle for 9 months and my body never felt so amazing. Tomatoes and oranges and citrus are good acidic and astringents on the body expelling mucus and toxic waste. You felt unwell because your body is probably not used to detoxing. Fruits are mother natures perfect foods. Some work better than others depending on our health.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›