5.0 out of 5 stars Most impressive!, November 5, 2010
This review is from: Canon G12 10 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.8 Inch Vari-Angle LCD (Camera)
As I'm an old film guy who has resisted digital photography almost as much as dentist visits, I've really avoided making the jump. Of course, I've had a few small point and shoot cameras for quick snapshots. But recently, I've found it necessary to get a camera with more capabilities and quality.

I'd love to have a higher-end DSLR, but flying these days really doesn't lend itself to lugging a big camera bag with a couple of lenses, flash, etc. I gripe just taking my shoes off at the security checkpoint. And I am avoiding paying checked bag fees as much as I possibly can!

Last April, I finally decided to get something a bit nicer, and after weeks of searching through review after review, I finally settled on a Fuji HS10. At first, I loved that camera. Then, I discovered that particular unit was eating batteries with the voracity of John Pinette at a Vegas buffet. So, back it went. And I waited and continued to research.

Then, along comes Canon with this G12. Remember, I'm an old film guy, so I like some controls. But after 5 minutes playing with this camera, I was most impressed. Startup - it's ready to go in a flash. Focus - spot on for 99% of the photos I've shot (nothing's perfect), and that 1% I can peg on me for focus issues. Low light? Simply amazing! This camera's ability to compensate for low light is borderline spooky. Combined with the lens image stabilization, I've taken shots that would have required a tripod, cable release, and good old-fashioned luck with a film camera.

Sports mode is very good. While the 'rapid-fire' shots aren't blazing fast, they are sharp, clean, and quick to save. In fact, the camera is fast with saves in most every mode I've tried. And speaking of modes, I discovered one that I've fallen in love with - Nostalgia mode. With a quick click of the front-mounted scroll-wheel, one can age a photo making it appear a bit washed out and grainy. For artistic shots, this mode just made me feel like I was working darkroom magic without the darkroom!

Some folks have complained that it's too big for a pocket. I didn't really have any issues with that. In fact, I think that for everything this camera can do, it's size is one of the biggest selling points.

I just returned from a quick trip to Jamaica where I took all sorts of shots. The ones that got the most compliments were the low-light shots. And everyone that asked and showed this camera were amazed at what it was able to do.

As I mentioned - I'm incredibly impressed with this camera.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 5, 2011 11:20:29 AM PDT
careerhal says:
From one "old film guy" to another, this is the most sensible review tht I have read about this camera--as I could very much identify with everything you said.

Being an "old film guy," I decided that I no longer want to lug around an SLR (or DSLR)--after having owned a Nikon F4s, which was like carrying around a cinder block, I'm going to go for a sophisticate rangefinder camera, and the G12 would seem to fit my needs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 3:35:07 AM PDT
p.chancey says:
As another old film guy to two other of us "old timers", i just purchased the G11. you review is spot on in that you are allowed creative controls (manual) and several buttons and dials. After years of lugging around Nikon bodies and glass together with a tripod, I am not going to know how to act without all that equipment. The tripod alone is a 35 year old Bogen and they made then heavy back then.

I plan to take this new camera, G11 when I travel, make a run to the Botanical Gardens and hopefully use it for close ups of my wife's orchids. We'll see.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 3:53:06 PM PDT
Tankery says:
I might check out the LX5 or the new LX7 Lumix before falling in love with the g12. I have an LX5 and for macro shots the color saturation is far better. I needed two 11 by 14s of close flowers and I took multiple pics with both and the LX5 won out both times. Otherwise the G12 is bulkier but a fine camera with a slightly larger zoom.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 7:20:52 AM PDT
E. Kavet says:
One selling point for the G12 is the optical viewfinder. It's hard to find a camera that still offers one. My choice was between the Nikon P7100 and the Canon G12. Both cameras have great reviews.

Side by side they seem to offer great images. What sold me on the G12 is the ability to switch ISO's from the top of the camera rather than the Nikons menu option. It may seem like a petty move but nothing more annoying than going into the menu and searching for a shooting option.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›