4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive but works great!, August 23, 2013
Although I was initially dismayed to discover that this DVD player has no HDMI port (especially since Amazon pitches their HDMI cable as an add-on item), I'm really happy with its performance.

I bought this region-free player to complement a boxed set of BBC documentaries (David Attenborough's LIFE series), and frankly, for the low price I did not have high expectations. But the Region 2 DVDs play flawlessly, and the picture is crisp and clear on my large LCD TV even with just the yellow video input cable. It's a very nice player for a very minimal investment.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 16, 2014 8:27:08 AM PST
Thanks for this review. The full "Life on Earth" series, which I bought from Amazon in UK, is EXACTLY why I'm looking for a multi-region player.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2014 4:40:39 PM PST
Karin W. says:
Glad it was helpful! Enjoy your DVDs...I've really been having a great time watching this series.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2014 9:45:10 PM PDT
M. Casey says:
I am seriously considering getting a multi region player, but I am no tekkie. The reason I want a multi region player is because a favorite show of mine, The Ghost and Mrs Muir, is finally being released, but only in Australia. I don't care about hdmi, though I think my flat screen has a connection.

This player will work with Australian dvds? And if so, one other question... I have read that sometimes with multi- region players that sometimes the programming will make you choose one region to play, and only that region. Does this player make you do that?

Thanks for your help.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2014 11:31:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2014 11:31:43 AM PDT
Karin W. says:
Hi! To answer your question, this player does not make you select (or commit to) a region. It just plays the DVDs...very nice. Setup was very easy, too. Just one cable to connect, with three connections (red & white for Left and Right stereo sound, and yellow for video).

So far, I have successfully played BBC videos from England and movie DVDs from Hong Kong.

Enjoy your series! It's so much fun to revisit beloved shows and movies when they're finally released on disc.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2014 1:14:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2014 1:15:31 PM PDT
M. Casey says:
Thanks, Karin!

I actually tried yesterday to go to Best Buy to see if they carried any multi region players, and they don't. (in fact, they suggested Amazon!) Since the set is still on the expensive side (With shipping, they are going to be more expensive than the player is) I didn't want to buy something I couldn't use. GAMM is the only series I was really interested in, and It looks like I will be stuck watching them only in the bedroom, but for what the player costs, It seems like a good investment.

The series itself won't be released until April 16, but that being such a short time away, I think I am going to go ahead.

Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2014 1:13:48 PM PDT
Kiki says:
It does not play region 2 for me. Is there a trick?

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 1:14:41 PM PDT
Kiki says:
It doesn't play region 2 for me. What's the trick?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2014 1:15:12 PM PDT
Karin W. says:
Nope, no trick on my machine. I just put the DVD disc in and it plays...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›