3.0 out of 5 stars Echoes at Dawn, July 4, 2012
This review is from: Echoes at Dawn (A KGI Novel) (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was my personal favorite from the series, however, it's still only three stars to me.

I enjoyed this book but it wasn't perfect so I'll say what I liked and didn't like.

What I liked:

I liked that there weren't too many mushy Kelly scenes. I love the idea of a strong, loving family, but the Kellys are over the top and intrusive, in my opinion. Their gushy scenes usually annoy me because there are so many. I might be in the minority, but I appreciated this book because the Kellys were in the background.

I liked the personality of the heroine. Grace was an extremely resilient and compassionate young woman whose been through a lot in her life and still managed to be so brave and tough. I loved that about her. She made decisions that I could never in a million years make and I respected her greatly for it. She wasn't perfect, but she was still by far, my favorite heroine of the series.

I also enjoyed Rio's personality. Honestly, I understand the idea of not giving anyone your blind trust, so I can understand why he didn't trust anyone completely. I liked that he was protective of Grace, but also tried to help her build her confidence and toughness back. He didn't baby her. We got to find out some interesting things about Rio in this book, including his birth name and his family background.

I also liked the plot twists in this novel. I'm not going to spoil it, but there were a few events in the book where I was surprised because I didn't expect that., especially considering a certain member of KGI on Rio's team. The character introduced, Hancock, has a hand in one twist, and I have a feeling we'll be seeing him again. He's an interesting character, I think.

What I disliked:

First off, I believe in attraction at first sight, but love at first sight I do not. Rio claims to have loved Grace from the first moment he saw her on the video camera in Book 4. For a man who is so distrustful I have a difficult time believing that he could fall in love at first glance. I didn't like that he professed to loving Grace after less than a week of knowing her in flesh and blood. In addition, Grace claims to have fallen in love with him quickly as well, but for a woman who avoided attachments to men or people due to her on the run lifestyle, I have a hard time she fell in love with him so quickly. Yes, he rescued her, yes, he was kind to her, but I still feel as though there could've been some more buildup for love between them than less than a week. Especially considering that Grace should've been a lot more hesitant to get involved with him considering her background and his past. I feel that she shouldn't have trusted him as quickly. If I was Grace, I don't care how he rescued me and took care of me, I'd be less trustful of him regardless because of everything else I went through in my life.

I also disliked that almost half of the book was Rio's team and Grace sitting around at his house while she recuperated. I get that that was probably done to strengthen the bond between Grace and Rio but considering how quickly she jumped into bed with him, despite her being a virgin, I don't think all of that filler material was needed. For some reason, she loved him enough to give him her virginity, so she was probably well enough for them to make a move on the guys who were looking for her. Just my thoughts.

I also disliked the plot device used in Grace's story. I thought it was unnecessary. From Book 4 we got the idea that the U.S. government is after Grace for her abilities. Naturally, I expected the book to revolve around saving Grace from government abduction or getting them to understand it's wrong to treat human beings this way or something like that. It turns out that a man named Gordon Farnsworth is after Grace to heal his daughter. So what does he do? Capture her and torture her for weeks by making her heal severe illnesses and ailments to make sure she is capable of healing his child from her cancer. Now, if I was a guy trying to make someone help my child, I wouldn't torture her and piss her off. Why didn't he just ask her? He might've still had to capture her, but I'm sure if he'd treated her like a human being instead of a test subject, she'd have been more willing to try to help. It didn't make sense to me. I understand that it was done to provide a reason for Rio's team to go after Grace but it still bothered me.

There was something else that bothered me but I can't get into it without giving away the ending.

Overall, the book was decent. It was my favorite of the series, but I admit that that's only because of the lack of Kelly family love in the series, not because it was necessarily better than the others. I don't dislike the Kellys but their family can be too much to handle.

Still I have a problem with the heroines of this entire series. They all seem to be starved for familial affection. Every last one of them. And none of them come from a stable family unit, so they all love the togetherness and nauseating affection of the Kelly family, because they don't have their own family units to get this from. Just once, ONCE, I'd like to see a heroine have a normal family in this series and not become so easily attached to the Kellys because they give her what she's never had.

I think for this reason, I'm honestly looking forward to the next book, Shades of Gray. I really, really want to see PJ and Cole's relationship evolve.

You don't have to agree but that's my opinion.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 4, 2012 8:40:37 PM PDT
I've noticed that about all of MBs books. Her heroines never have any family.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 9:30:13 PM PDT
Bonnie Bear says:
Thanks for your review. You summed up a lot of my frustrations with this series. I stumbled upon the first book out of the blue and I stuck with the books against my better judgment. It's interesting to me, to see the Kelly family but man, that mushy family scenes are a tad too much. It's deeply nauseating and very cringeworthy. Now apparently they all live on a compound, talk about lack of privacy. I like the family dynamic but it gets a bit much and I am very happy to see the Kellys are in the background in this. I will read this book then.

The heroines never having a family is getting a little tired. It was novel with Rachel but now it's just a tired trope. I hope PJ gets to actually do stuff and not be a passive observer in her book the whole time. Enough with the manic-lipchewing-frantic-affection-starved-damsels in distress.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 1:55:45 AM PDT
I completely agree. I'm so tired of them not having any family of their own. And I hope that PJ's story is amazing. I really like her and I would hate for her to be starved for affection like the other heroines. That might make me quit the series.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 2:24:07 PM PDT
I agree on many points and would add that the love scenes were a little disappointing. They read more like a how-to or instructional book than the steamy, passion-filled scenes Ms. Banks is known for. I felt like it was a result of the unexplainable love at first sight and the lack of believable emotional connection that early on between the H/h. I also thought for as beat up and physically and psychologically distressed as Grace was that for them to start a physical relationship just a day or two after she is rescued was waaay too soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 3:01:43 PM PDT
Bonnie Bear says:
Yeah, Ms Banks has the tendency to have her heroines (Rachel from the first KGI and Shea) involve in sexual gymnastics after being in some pretty harrowing physical and emotional scenes. There's nothing wrong with love at first sight but there has to be a more honest connection than the heroine feels grateful to have been rescued.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 1:27:13 AM PDT
Reviewer Aus says:
My thoughts exactly (the magical healing wasn't my favourite thing either). The heroines always injure their arms too!
Great review!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (213 customer reviews)

$7.99