3.0 out of 5 stars No nutritional info, could make some recipes surprisingly unhealthy, August 15, 2012
This review is from: Forks Over Knives - The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year (Paperback)
While this contains a lot of great recipes, better proof of the program's health benefits could have been reinforced with the listing of nutritional information per recipe.

I follow a popular diet program and have found it difficult to lose and maintain my weight when using "plant based" (a.k.a. vegetarian and vegan)cookbooks without nutritional information.

I ran the sample recipe "Mushroom Stroganoff" though my nutritional builder and it turned out that the recipe serving, made as listed, would consume half of my recommended daily intake.

I'm not debating the health benefits of this lifestyle, I've felt it, the problem is the carbohydrate loads are so high in comparison to the overall dish, making it difficult for someone like me to sustain weight for the long haul.

It has a lot of recipes, could use some more pictures, but may require adjustments to ingredients to suit health restrictions (diabetes) or those of us who are "the last few pound, dieters"

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 15, 2012 2:27:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2012 11:03:07 PM PDT
This is a cookbook for a whole foods plant-based diet. Don't expect it to jive with popular fad diets. To understand this way of eating, see: Forks Over Knives (movie), The Starch Solution, The China Study, Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease.

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 5:31:54 AM PDT
silverstars says:
Thanks for your review -- I also will not buy a cookbook unless it has the nutritional information for each recipe. In addition to carbs and fat, there are other things (eg sodium, protein) I find I need to pay attention to as I get older. Although recipe builders are helpful, having the info already there saves a lot of time.

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 10:24:41 PM PDT
aliving1 says:
With the high incidence of diabetes in our population, not having nutritional information makes it difficult. Also, having recipes that use large amounts of pasta would make it harder for many people to follow. Put the vegetables back in vegetarian!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 9:22:30 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 18, 2012 9:23:08 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 10:13:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2012 10:14:20 PM PDT
Go to youtube and look up Caldwell Essylstein and Dr. John McDougall. They don't count calories because the foods they want you to cook are natural low in oil and have moderate amounts of protein. If you eat like this all the time heart disease and T2D goes away and the pounds drop off.

What is allowed is everything that grew from the earth, vegetables, fruit, legumes, nuts, and grains. That means, no meat, no fish, no dairy, no eggs, no refined sugars, no process food and NO OIL. A huge proportion of Chinese eat rice every day. It makes up something like 80% of their daily intake of food. You can live on rice and potatoes if you want. It might get a little boring, but after about 3 weeks of eating rice and potatoes you start to get used to it.

I do my best to be a good McDougaller. I have lost 22 pounds in 2 months! I never thought I could do it. I have tried Atkins and similar diets. This is the only one I have been able to stick with. Thank you Dr. McDougall!McDougalls' All-You-Can-Eat Cookbook

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 12:02:13 PM PST
Ayla says:
I'm not on a "popular fad diet;" however, I choose to limit some types of foods such as high glycemic vegetables. I think in this day and age when we talk about healthy eating, we expect to see some nutritional information included in a cookbook about healthy eating.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2013 12:41:27 PM PDT
deezee says:
If you're interested in healthy eating, I certainly hope you gave up some of the most unhealthy foods in the SAD: meat, fish, dairy, and eggs.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›