1.0 out of 5 stars SGU: 5 stars; SyFy (or whatever they call it): 1 star. Won't Buy, Won't Support!, June 29, 2011
This review is from: SGU: Stargate Universe - The Complete Final Season (DVD)
Once again, lacking patience and with only an eye on the bottom line, Syfy (or SciFi, or NBC Universal, or whatever) has cancelled a series that required development and did not provide immediate gratification/fulfillment. The ads want you to believe they support quality TV, but SyFy's actions say otherwise.

So as a PSA, here's a short summation of how I see SysFy and its relationship to the channels' shows' fan bases -

"Battlestar Galactica" - under pressure throughout and barely makes it to the end; fans screwed because we could never be sure we would get a complete story. "Caprica" - brilliant - cancelled before it can get out of the starting blocks; again, fans screwed. "Stargate Atlantis" - cancelled before the envisioned end; fans screwed. "Stargate Universe" - really on the way up and destroyed by the network before it could get going; fans screwed.

"Firefly" not picked up by SyFy; fan base established and ready to support SyFy. Nope - fans screwed. "Defying Gravity" - hung out to dry by ABC leaving an amazed and distraught audience; fan base established and ready to support SyFy. Nope - fans screwed - not picked up by SyFy (which it probably could have had for a song).

Don't be surprised when "Eureka," "Warehouse 13," and "Haven" get the boot (or become ridiculous parodies of their earlier selves. For instance, "Sanctuary"). Fans - get ready to be screwed.

Instead, what does the channel that promotes itself as the imagination channel give us? MMA fighting, 10-year lame, failed series reruns, really bad Saturday night "blockbuster" (sarcasm) original movies, and ridiculous paranormal reality shows.

I'm done with SyFy. Won't spend another dime on your DVDs, won't watch the channel (live or DVR'd). I cancelled my magazine subscription. You screwed us; well, right back at ya. Good-bye and good riddance.

Bronx cheer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 30, 2011 12:56:17 PM PDT
Stardust says:
The real reason Syfy cancelled SGU was because no one watched it, and if the DVD/BD sales are anything to go by, no one bought it either.

Some ratings reports for some Season 2 episodes from Nielson as reported by TVbythenumbers.

Stargate Universe (SYFY)
- 0.823 million viewers
- 0.5/1 HH
- 0.3/1 A18-49

Stargate Universe (SYFY, 9pm)
0.6 HH, Viewers: 0.861 million, 0.3 A18-49

Stargate Universe (SYFY)
- 0.814 million viewers
- 0.5/1 HH
- 0.4/1 A18-49

Syfy aren't evil, or mean or whatever, they were losing money on this show, huge amounts, would of you of rather of seen Syfy go broke and continued this for a Season 3? Or would you rather the network grew and had more stuff like Eureka, W13, Battlestar Galactica Blood and Chrome etc?

You dont have to be a fan or a hater to know the fact the show got ridiculusly bad ratings, feel free to view the Wikipedia link I posted which backs up my point.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2011 3:54:36 PM PDT
All valid points. But it presumes a commitment by SyFy at the start of something to try to see it through. They knew Caprica was risky, the same with SGU. But they launched nevertheless. And in launching a risky endeavor, they asked the fans to sign up. Core fans did (maybe not the envisioned core, but cores nonetheless) and now the shows are gone. Okay, maybe I could side with you with one show or two, but this has been SyFy's MO of late. You can't keep a fan base if no one knows what is going on and if loyalty to a show doesn't go both ways (in contrast to how SyFy operates, I think CBS showed real class in how they handled, at great cost, another of my favorites, "Jericho").

Since we're talking about SGU....

In the case of SGU, it was bumpy from the start. The show never really had anything more than the network's tentative support, yet they launched SGU nonetheless and asked for fans to support it. Some of us did, but I suspect many didn't because they sensed SGU was doomed from the start. Very similar to how ABC handled "Defying Gravity" (a show I put up there with "Firefly").

Not sure you're of the same ancient age as I am, but I was a real fan of the original Star Trek series. Wildly popular with a core group, it never really had the support of NBC who by Season 3 was pushing outlandish episode plots on the show. Nevertheless, die-hards (I would like to include myself in that category) continued to push for a quality Star Trek franchise and look what happened - a silly but necessary cartoon series (I loved it, I'm ashamed to say!), an astonishingly successful book franchise and the return of Star Trek to the big and small screen in a number of great incarnations (all of which I loved except for "ST: Voyager" (which I thought was okay)). In other words, wonderfully profitable in the long term until the short-term bean-counters got involved. My favorite of the franchise, "Enterprise," suffered the same fate "SGU" now deals with - not having a full commitment from the network it aired on right from the series' pilot, it was doomed to failure.

So what's the point? Well, OTA TV really does depend on advertising to survive, but it has always been the (unspoken) rule that cable could take a little less profitability because niche channels (like SyFy) were a) on cable (where subscribers PAY for TV) and/or b) subsidized by the more profitable channels. That was ALWAYS how SyFy was portrayed to the world (I've watched shows on SyFy from Day 1).

This profitability model has obviously changed at SyFy. And not for the better because Sci-Fi as a genre is by every demographic a niche market. So I don't dispute SyFy was losing money - I argue that losing money was to be expected, but that some of those losses could be recouped down the road by a variety of means (including fans knowing that you are going to stick with quality projects).

Sorry if I'm rambling, but I wanted to get this fired off during the minute I had to do so. In the end, all I'm saying is that SyFy is losing its core demographic because corporate execs aren't seeing short-term profit and thus are sacrificing long-term sustainability. In asking fans to support programming that it itself won't right from the starting gate, SyFy won't be anything other than one of the hundreds of junk channels no one cares one dime about. In other words, a self-fulfilling prophecy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2011 4:33:22 PM PDT
Stardust says:
I mostly believe.

Interest in Stargate isn't what it was anymore, when Atlantis came along the first Season was getting well over 3 million viewers in America, near 4 for Season 1, now season after season these numbers were dropping.

Along comes SGU, people gave it a chance and pretty much left. The show premiered to 2.3 million viewers though it did have good DVR stats.

Syfy renewed the series despite the fact it dipped below 2 million in the first 10 episodes numerous times.

Season 2 came along and it was clear it didn't build a loyal enough live audience and thus it was cancelled.

I mostly blame this due to a shift in demographic for the channel, its no longer the *Geeks* channel for hardcore Scifi fans, its more a channel watched by a wide range of ages, male or female and is taking on a more *Family* feel.

And lastly I blame the fact that rising costs for a decent Scifi show go against them, if you compare a budget of a 90s Scifi show to a 00s/10s show, it'd probably be double, if not triple.
Thus ratings don't cover it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2011 2:14:57 PM PDT
Thanks for the conversation.

I guess, in the end, I feel like a spurned lover (as I am very much in the "Geeks" class!).

Enjoy your 4th of July holiday weekend (if you're located here in the "good 'ole USA").

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2011 5:03:02 PM PDT
JayJay says:
Wrong. It wasn't that nobody watched it it was because no Nielsen families watched it. Last I heard the Nielsen company was told by the TV companies to NOT count DVR views either so every Nielsen reported viewer had to watch it as it occurred. I don't know about you but I don't know nor know anybody that knows anybody that was a Nielsen viewer. Whoever these people are must all be absolute morons because the all the good shows are getting cancelled over and over again and being replaced by more and more reality shows.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 11:08:48 PM PDT
Darr Darr says:
The reason the "TV companies" don't want to count DVR watchings is because they know we double-click through the commercials (on Tivos, single-click is 3x; double is 10x speed). If they want us to watch it only when it's ON, try not putting it on friday nights. They claim they're shooting for 19-40, then put the show on the night most of that age group goes out. (It only took 2 seasons to kill Friday Night Lights once NBC moved it to friday night, exactly when most of us original fans are at local high schools watching varsity football games.)

Or, show it a few times/week to be sure people watch it long enough to get involved. e.g. The first season, FOX showed 24 at least 3 or 4 times a week during prime time, so everyone could follow it even if they didn't have a DVR.

Whether the networks want to count us or not, the ad agencies they hire need adapt to the new reality if they plan on surviving, and put the static message on the screen for 15 to 30 seconds in the background, so it's clearly visible even when DVRs fast forward through the ads.
How can they not grasp that... do they prohibit all their employees from owning Tivos or other DVRs?

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 4:11:10 PM PDT
Scott Fort says:
One of the problems with Syfy is their tendancy to jerk shows around in the schedule. I would describe myself as a loyal watcher of television shows. Once I develop a loyalty to a show then I will rarely stray away from that show as long as it continues in its same timeslot. When SGU was moved to Tuesday night they lost me for the first-aired episodes as I was already watching something else then. I had to catch one of the replays later in the week. When they stopped the replays they lost me altogether and I own all of the SG1 and SGA seasons on DVD. Had they left the show on Fridays I would still be a viewer as I am now with Haven.

I was a Neilson rater for one week about 6 years ago. I know there are households that are wired in for longer periods of time but I just received a booklet in the mail out of the blue and delighted in filling it out and sending it back. For a short time I actually felt like I had had the opportunity for my preferences to be heard but several of my favorite shows were still canceled and reality returned. Neilson needs to learn that their methods have to change with advancing technology and find new ways to get accurate viewer information. When a new episode is aired three times in one week do the ratings reflect total viewership of all three times? How is the worth of a show evaluated with respect to epsidoes streamed from the Syfy website? Maybe Syfy has provided wide access to their original content at the expense of the ratings which determine the profitability of those shows.

Neilson should find a way for the disgruntled viewers to participate. Use the systems pioneered by American Idol and America's Got Talent to solicit input by phone or text. Or how about we vote with our money? Let us call or text to get a $1.00 charge to our phone bill. Then we have 100 votes to spread out and support our favorite shows. A penny a vote wouldn't be gouging the viewers and the income should pay for the new system. That it costs anything at all should control "ballot stuffing".

Or maybe the networks should try something different for advertisers. Pick a certain sponsor each episode to spotlight and let viewers know that a purchase of that product during the following week will help show support for the show. Advertisers should get an accurate idea of how their advertising is working for that show.

Lacking all of that the networks need to do something to placate the viewer, like M.A.Hallisey and myself, who feel "screwed". Take pre-paid pre-orders for season DVDs with an announced target to be met for renewing a series for another season. Or keep ratings up by guaranteeing some type of closure to a new series. Yes, promise a two-hour wrap-up movie if the series doesn't run its course so we don't invest more of our valuable time in yet another prematurely canceled series that leaves us hanging with a cliffhanger. They have to do something or they will make themselves obsolete. I've been burned too many times with an unfinished storyline. I think I will be staying away from any new series with a serial storyline until season three. I'll just pick up the first two seasons on DVD to catch up if it looks like something I would like.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 4:52:39 AM PDT
Patricia says:
Hay just so you know and I learned this in collage Wikipedia is not a credible source, Because any one can add information to Wikipedia with out sources being checked. Having said that, I feel the same way "SGU was not everyone's cup of tea. Regardless, it was good TV. Imaginative, thought-provoking, different. And in current SyFy tradition, now cancelled." we fans get screwed every time!

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 7:08:06 AM PDT
I agree fully with you, M. A., we fans always get screwed because the greedy network geeks think they know what we want to watch. What the hell does wrestling have to do with Science Fiction???????

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 1:32:44 PM PST
First they iised off sg-1 fans by canceling sg-1 then they canceled Atlantis and issed off the rest of the stargate fans. Then they tried to shove this show on us. Most stargate fans including myself never tuned in and never turned on sci fi being we were ticked at them. So the show made it 2 seasons . Are you surprised ?
Sci-fi is on my HATE list I wont watch another show on there ch because as soon as I do and start enjoying it they prob will cancel it. About universe I did buy season one a few months ago and enjoyed it. It's not SG-1 type of quality but it's not bad . I would have tuned into atlantis and Universe if they had them running together back then . I guess it's just the way they did it. Taking away peoples favorite show and giving us another. It's like if your really wanting a pizza and some one takes it from you and offers you peanuts.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (1,042 customer reviews)

$14.98 $8.99