5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a huge eye-opener, March 16, 2005
This review is from: Divorce: God's Will? (Paperback)
Until I read this book, I believed, as many Christians do accept blindly, that divorce was just not allowed. And I believed that if a person got a divorce and then married someone else, both parties in the new marriage were committing adultery.

Therefore, I stayed in a marriage where the man was abusing me for 18 years. My only hope in life was for death of either him or me so I could be free.

Meanwhile, my four children suffered because I was not a happy mom and Dad was mean to Mom. No matter how hard I tried to please him, he always found or invented something else for which to berate me. He felt it was his right as a Christian man to control me and that I was required to "submit" to him whether I liked it or not.

Something just did not seem right about that whole arrangement, but I didn't know how to explain it.

I began searching the internet for any information on divorce being permitted from a Christian standpoint. I realized that I might be "looking for what I WANTED to see," so tried to keep an open mind and to carefully consider the validity of whatever I found, to not just "take someone's word for it" that what they wrote was true.

When I found Stephen Gola's site, it was a foreign subject to me. Could God actually approve of divorce?

I checked out the Scripture references which Mr. Gola explained in his book, "Divorce: God's Will?" to be sure nothing was being assumed. It all began to add up.

After reading the sample pages on the web-site, I wanted to see the whole book, so I ordered a copy. And I was not disappointed at what I read.

Since reading "Divorce: God's Will," I have read many other articles that agree with Mr. Gola's explanation of the common and oft-misinterpreted Scriptures concerning divorce, adultery, and remarriage.

I cannot recommend this book enough, to anyone who has questions about what is right concerning divorce and remarriage. It is an excellent jumping-off point for getting one going on seriously looking into the Bible -- not only for these issues discussed but also for anything else one is studying in the Scriptures. It has made me all the more aware of the need to carefully dissect the Word of God and not rely on tradition.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]