Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Eneloop Vs Eneloop XX., July 8, 2011
The good:

1) Made in Japan.
2) Pre-charged & ready to use.
3) Rechargeable 1500X (X = times / cycles). I'm happy with just 500X.

The not so good:

1) 2000 mAh. That's not enough juice to provide stamina for power hungry devices.

Background:

For over 4yrs now, I've been using the 'made in Japan', Low Self Discharge (LSD) AA & AAA rechargeable batteries from Sanyo called Eneloop & Eneloop 1500. I use them with all the remote controls & electronic devices / gadgets that I have. I have over a dozen pairs of the Sanyo Eneloop batteries & I like to keep them organized. I have them all marked / labeled in pairs so that I don't mix the batteries when I'm charging them. The plain white color of the Sanyo Eneloop is a plus point here.

For remote controls, the Eneloops are perfect. A single charge c'd stay for more than a year. No complaints. It's when I use the Eneloops with the Canon PowerShot A590IS Canon PowerShot A590IS 8MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom that I wish that these batteries had a lil' more juice in them. I c'd barely touch an average of 200 shots with a single charge. That's when I gave the Sanyo Eneloop XX a try & I'm impressed with it. The milliampere-hour (mAh), a measurement of the electric charge transferred by a steady current of one Ampere for one hour (check Google for more detailed explanation), in the new Sanyo Eneloop XX has been upped to 2500 mAh. This increase of 500 mAh really shows an improvement in my compact camera's performance. I've already taken over 400 shots with the first charge & I'm still counting. Even the refresh time between shots have reduced a bit.

Conclusion:

Just a few yrs ago, the Sanyo Eneloop (rechargeable 1000X) used to be priced @ USD20 / 4pcs. It's now selling for about USD10 / 4pcs on Amazon & is very good value for money SANYO eneloop 4 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries. The newer Sanyo Eneloop 1500 (rechargeable 1500X), with no performance advantage over the original Eneloop, is priced @ about USD15 / 4pcs. I got the Sanyo Eneloop XX (rechargeable 500X) from B&H, NYC @ USD20 / 4pcs Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries - new 2500 mAh --eneloop xx -- 1 pack of 4 batteries - Limited Quantity.

I'm sure the prices will eventually come down with more competition & with newer models getting released every year. For now, the Sanyo Eneloop XX sh'd only be considered for power hungry devices such as compact cameras & remote controlled toys. For everything else, the original Sanyo Eneloop (rechargeable 1000X) is still a very good purchase & has not run out of juice just yet.

I find 1500X a lil' over exaggerated. Even if I charge a pair of Sanyo Eneloop XXs every week, 500X will last me over 9yrs. I know I'll replace / upgrade these batteries in about 5yrs or so with whatever c'd be the latest & greatest in LSD rechargeable battery technology then. For 2000 mAh LSD rechargeable batteries, I'd stick with the original Sanyo Eneloop (rechargeable 1000X) & save some bucks.

For best results, I'm using the Sanyo Eneloop batteries with La Crosse Technology BC-700 power battery charger La Crosse Technology BC-700 Alpha Power Battery Charger.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 18, 2011 1:28:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2011 1:31:51 PM PDT
Chris White says:
Thanks for the comment on the XX's. Great point on the 500X charge. The extra mAh is more valuable for power hungry devices than an extra 18 years of under-powered devices.

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 4:25:40 PM PDT
E. S. Franke says:
2000mAh batteries (Eneloops) outperform Energizer 2500mAh batteries in my testing. My guess is they really aren't holding the full 2500.

I get more shots from the Eneloops, despite the lower rating. Even when both are drained in the same day (before significant self-discharge takes effect).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 3:55:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2011 3:58:01 PM PST
J. Myers says:
What charger do you use, E. S. Franke? I use a LaCrosse BC-900 and it can "tell" me (using the "refresh" setting on the charger) exactly how much "juice" is in each cell.

I'm curious, George Denver, does your BC-700 have this setting? It's intended to minimize/eliminate any "memory" and it seems to work very well. I bought my first Eneloop cells over six years ago and I've noticed no loss whatsoever (possibly because I use that "refresh" setting every ten charges or so).

I bought my first two packs of these to power a Marantz PMD660. It's rather "power-hungry" with "phantom power" turned on. Still; I get at least 90 minutes on a charge before I swap the battery. It has nothing to do with Eneloop but my second-favorite thing about the PMD660 is that I can do a battery swap on-the-fly (by changing out the cells in pairs). My favorite thing about -my- PMD660 (in case you wondered) is what Oade did to the preamps. Truly; the man is an artist...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 2:07:23 PM PST
Interesting, J. Myers. I bought these specifically to power my Marantz PMD671. How do you change the batts out "in pairs?" Mine comes with an eight cell battery holder that must be removed. Also, I considered the Oade mod, but the damn thing already sounds so great for voice recording I decided not to spend the dough. Do you think I'll appreciate the upgrade if I'm only recording dialog for video?

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 2:07:21 AM PST