5.0 out of 5 stars The best laptop ever!, August 29, 2009
This review is from: Acer Aspire AS1410-8414 11.6-Inch Sapphire Blue Laptop - 6 Hour Battery Life (Personal Computers)
This laptop is just by far the best laptop for the overall features.

Pros:

1. Very thin and light. Just a bit bigger than today's netbooks
2. Much faster than Atom based netbooks
3. Bright and large screen with true HD aspect ratio. Very useful resolution.
4. 4g upgradeable memory cap.
5. Great webcam and good microphone
6. Amazing battery life even with Core2solo CPU. Last longer than my other netbook with the same capacity battery.
7. HDMI out! wow
8. Wireless N and Bluetooth
(Edited:8/31/2009) No Bluetooth! My bad assumption from the bluetooth switch and LED indicator on the laptop. Sorry...
9. Multi finger/gesture touch pad like iPhone
10. Very usable keyboard
11. Quiet fan and harddrive
12. It does not get hot like my other netbook
13. Great speakers!
14. Centrino architecture seems to be faster in network response compare to Atom based netbooks
15. Inexpensive for the quality laptop with all the features
16. (Added on 8/29/2009) Spacious 250G HDD
17. (Added on 8/29/2009) Free upgrade to Windows 7 from Acer. Nice! (However, it was little tricky to register using Chrome. I had to use IE. They may have fixed the issue though...)
18. (Added on 8/29/2009) The lid opens up wider (deeper?) than my netbook. This is kind of important to me while using it on my lap.

Cons (I do not really care about these cons, but here they are)

1. Vista. I like XP myself
2. Shiny LCD screen is too reflective. This may be just me.
3. HD movies from Vimeo and Youtube are bit sluggish (not because of network bandwidth. It is more like not enough CPU power for Flash based HD movies.
(Added on 8/29/2009) Even though the movies are cached all the way, the CPU hits 100% with Flash based HD movies. SD movies are just fine. I can kind of watch HD Flash movies better with this laptop than my Atom netbook though.
4. All the pre-installed applications that I removed.
5. My wish for the laptop design to be somewhat like macbook or HP Mini series.
6. I thought the CPU had hyper-threading like Atom. Task manager shows only one thread. I know it is "solo", but Atom shows two threads.
(Added on 8/29/2009) The CPU does not have HT (Hyperthreading). I had some wrong info there. Even without the HT, this little laptop performs much faster than my Atom netbook.

Although I listed cons, they are very least items that I wish for. Of course, It does not perform like Intel i7 CPU based desktops. However, for the size and usability, this is a champ of all laptops and desktop PCs I have ever owned. I will use the i7 desktop for Video and photo editing. That may be only 5% of all my computer usage. The rest, 95% of tasks can be done with this little laptop for me. I cannot talk about the durability yet, but it seems to be well built. Anyway, this is a great laptop with very reasonable price tag!

(Added on 8/29/2009) Some usual stuff that I did to make the laptop even better.

1. Usual Vista tune ups like turning off Aero and other graphic intensive features.
2. Removed many pre-installed apps mainly Office trial and Anti-virus software.
3. Turned off unused start up programs

(Added on 8/30/2009) Some tests
1. HDMI out to HD TV
1080p resolution worked perfect including sound with not much config. 1080 resolution gets everything too small to read for my setup. I switched to 720p. My TV does not adjust automatically, so I had to adjust the size using Intel TV wizard software (This app cannot be used with Dual monitor config. Switching to Digital TV only mode enables it.). I adjusted using the app to 720p. The app works, but the screen refreshes every time the adjustment button was clicked, I had to press the adjustment button very slowly and patiently. When I clicked too fast, the app froze with 100% CPU for a long time like 10 min. I had to restart. Other than that all worked perfect!

2. Web cam and digital microphone using Skype
I wanted a small laptop with webcam, so I can put it right next to my baby and show her to my parents in Japan via Skype. My other netbook kind of worked, but in low light situation, the video was so dark that they could see only my white eyes. Mic was also giving them echo. When I tried with this laptop, it was literary day and night. This laptop webcam is optimized for low light. They could see my baby clearly. The mic was clear and no echo. The only minor issue is that the image is bit white tinted with default setting. My wife thought I was smoking... haha. I had to tweak a bit in config. Nonetheless, the webcam and mic worked great for Skype. FYI: It does not perform like high resolution after market webcams, but the built-in webcam satisfies my needs very well.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2009 4:09:44 PM PDT
Ray J. says:
Y. Yamamoto: The Atom processors have HT Technology built into them (hyperthreading). This only gives you 30% boost, at best, and only under certain circumstances. Next time look on Intel's website before you buy. Any Core 2 processor is going to be much more powerful than any Atom is. Flash-based video is totally dependent on CPU power at this time. Future deployments of Flash are rumored to include code to offload some of the work to the GPU. Flash video running from your hard drive should be fine, but Internet-streamed flash can be choppy on even stronger processors than the SU3500.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2009 5:11:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2009 7:38:47 PM PDT
Y. Yamamoto says:
Thanks for the info... I checked the CPU on Intel website. It does not have HT as you mentioned. I was wondering many new Intel chips started having the technology on many CPUs (Although p4 had it for a while). Some netbook website said it did. that was all. The CPU hits 100% with Flash based HD movie even if it is entirely cached. SD Flash movies all work and HD 720P movies other than flash work great! Anyway, I did not mean to be negative. I just love the laptop. It is really nice. I literally sleep with it. haha

Posted on Aug 30, 2009 5:23:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2009 5:23:46 AM PDT
J. Peng says:
Have you tried HDMI output to TV?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2009 8:14:47 AM PDT
Y. Yamamoto says:
Hello, Yes, I tried the HDMI. 1080p resolution worked perfect with sound with not much config. 1080 resolution gets everything too small to read for my setup. I switched to 720p. My TV does not adjust automatically, so I had to adjust the size using Intel TV wizard software (This app cannot be used with Dual monitor config. Switching to Digital TV only mode enables it.). I adjusted using the app to 720p. The app works, but the screen refreshes every time the adjustment button was clicked, I had to press the adjustment button very slowly and patiently. When I clicked too fast, the app froze with 100% CPU for a long time like 10 min. I had to restart. Other than that all worked perfect!

Posted on Aug 31, 2009 10:41:54 AM PDT
R. Yates says:
You mentioned there is Bluetooth built-in. All other spec sheets I have seen state otherwise. Can you confirm?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2009 1:00:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 31, 2009 1:13:56 PM PDT
Y. Yamamoto says:
You know what I did not test Bluetooth on 1410 yet, but I saw a Bluetooth on/off switch right next to the wireless switch. That was why I put it in my review. I can see the switch works, and Vista recognized the action, but the bluetooth LED indicator does not get turned on. This is strange. There are all the hardware blutooth switch and LED indicator, and then there is no bluetooth. I see bluetooth driver on the Acer website. I will do more research. If it did not have bluetooth, I will update my review.
I apologize for my assumption if it does not have it.

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 9:04:25 PM PDT
Bill Nguyen says:
Does the Acer Aspire 1410 have an American keyboard? The pictures on Amazon depict it with a European keyboard (L-shaped enter key, extra key on home row, small left shift key), so I'm wondering if the 1410 does or doesn't have one.

Posted on Sep 15, 2009 5:22:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2009 5:22:56 AM PDT
About your fuzzy webcam.
Some 1410 users failed to notice a thin protective film that needs to be removed.
Most report excellent performance after removal.
Just a thought!

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 9:16:39 PM PDT
N. Nickerson says:
How did you get your free Windows 7 upgrade? Was it offered? Did you have to request it?

Thanks,