1.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful....only if they all work! Not worth the money..Gemmy Customer Service is horrible!, December 4, 2010
My wife and I decided to bite the bullet and by all new LED's this year. Mainly because I grew tired of running a power source to every second strand of our old C-9 bulbs with icicles. (otherwise you blow a fuse...something you avoid with the new LED's) The neighbors know us for having a lot of xmas lights every year...and we wanted something new. A plus with LED's is that they are cold to the touch and use way less energy than regular traditional lights.
We purchased 6 sets of these for a cost at over 250.00. When we got them home...setting up was easy. They all plug into each other and there is no worry about blowing fuses. They do a beautiful 5-minute light show and we received several compliments right away. However, after a day or two...one strand has a bulb that stayed the same color. Another kept coming off timing with the rest. I tried to get a hold of the manufacturer and found it is a company called Gemmy. Mainly famous for that annoying bass that talks on a board.... that was all the rage a few years ago. Their customer service is horrible! You can only email to receive a response. When I called corporate...they seemed confused at how I got the number and refused to answer any questions. I stated we only had them a few days and had those problems..and asked if they recommended anything. They wrote back and said..."Sorry...since you have had these over a year...we can not do anything for you. We recommend you rub a key on the plug and re plug them in. If you still have troubles...you might want to call an electrician at your own expense!
I wrote back and said...Over a year? I mentioned in the first sentence it has only been a few days! They responded with sorry...and said..they keep no stock on hand for the public..and to take them back for a refund or exchange. Basically..."Go away"...it's not our problem.
Anyways...we found a store that still had a couple in stock...quite far away. I bought two sets and brought them home. Only to notice that ..one seemed to have been returned...as it was repackaged....and when we hung them up...the blue...was "purple" and not the same (probably why they were returned in the first place!)
Needless to say...at a cost of over 250.00....I expected to use these for at least 5 years.....however, after only a week...we have had several issues and I now know what I can expect from customer service in the future.
Unfortunately, I have a feeling...we will end up taking these back to Lowe's for a refund. I only hope I can find one more set to swap out the defected "blue/purple" set...so they all look the same. My wife is pretty upset. I would contemplate keeping them...but I have a feeling...next year when we open the box...to use them...something will be wrong..and we wont be able to find them anywhere...so we will have an incomplete set..and it will be too far along for a refund or exchange...and we are out 250+ for just a few weeks of use.
Buy at your own risk.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]