5.0 out of 5 stars Love it - highly recommended - Pyrex v. Plastic, March 22, 2006
This review is from: Pyrex 6022369 Storage 14-Piece Round Set, Clear with Blue Lids (Kitchen)
Trying to live a more sustainable lifestyle - using more reuseables and less disposables, and Pyrex is PERFECT for that!!!

I had been using plastic Gladwear, Ziploc, and Rubbermaid containers, but had several problems with them:

1. Storing tomato sauce and then re-heating it in the container dyed them a weird shade of orange.

2. They are supposed to be microwaveable but I found that after a few months of normal use, they were useless - warped, funny colors, scratched, etc.

3. The plastic scratched easily, creating chanels where bacteria could grow - eww.

4. I've read multiple articles from multiple magazines quoting multiple studies about how microwaving plastics release toxic chemicals into your food.

5. After several months of use, they were beat and had to be recycled - recycling is, of course, better than throwing them in the trash, but the process of recycling creates pollution and not only that, I'd have to go out and buy more, spending more money, which was what I was trying to get away from. Good for the company, because they got more money, bad for me, the customer.

BUT this Pyrex set is GREAT! 7 containers, 7 lids. LOVE IT!!!

1. I can reheat food in the microwave (without the plastic lid) and don't have to worry about chemicals leaking in to my food.

2. They do great in the freezer - we use one of the small ones to hold ground coffee - we buy beans and ground several days worth at once, then pop the grounds in the small container and into the freezer.

3. It's Pyrex, so it's no big deal when my daughter accidently drops one helping me put the dishes away.

4. I can use them to hold raw marrinating meat, chicken, or fish without having to worry about them holding on to the bacteria.

5. They are dishwasher safe, just put the lids on the top rack only, and they come out perfect, very smooth surface so they are easy to wash.

6. I've read other reviews saying that they look nice too, so they can go from fridge or oven (7. Oh yeah, they are oven-safe too) to table as serving dishes - this is true, if we ever had a dinner party, I would't think twice about using them as serving dishes.

8. They are simple, which I love, because I won't have to worry about them clashing with anything (we are a young family so we have hodge-podge of kitchen stuff anyway so it doesn't matter right now).

9. They "nest" together very nicely - we live in a small apt with limited kitchen storage, but these containers, one stacked up inside the other, with the lids separating the containers, don't take up any more space than my old plastic junk.

I use these ALL THE TIME, I can't say enough good things about them. All of mine are "in commision" right now, except for one which is in the dishwasher. My one complaint is a set of 7 lids and 7 containers is not enough, I need another set, LOL. :-) (I also have the loaf pan w/ lid - very nice, small, but nice, good addition to my set)

Highly recommend! :-)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2009 5:17:53 AM PDT
MG Berger says:
This review convinced me to purchase them..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2009 10:25:31 AM PST
J. Sosnowski says:
How do you like yours? I still have mine, still love them!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2009 8:19:05 AM PST
Same here. Although, check out Kohls too. I got the 14 piece set for $17 after rebate and 15% coupon. I am excited to get these for my wife for xmas. I agree, those tupperware things get ruined too quick, yucky orange shade and mutilated looking. Plus the toxicness of warming up in microwave so they say... i might buy stock in pyrex now!

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 10:47:07 AM PST
shawn says:
It's always helpful to cross reference what you read on the internet with snopes.com to verify it's truth... as for the plastic leaking chemicals into food when microwaved:
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp That being said, i'm still going to buy these ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 10:44:47 AM PST
E. Snyder says:
If the food gets so hot that the plastic melts, where do you think the plastic goes to other than in the food? Uou can see where the edge of liquids melt into the plastic - that's why you see an orange "ring" around plastic containers. A tip is to never use the "High" setting with plastic containers - the food can't dissapate the heat into the center of the food quickly enough and gets very hot, melting the plastic. We're therefore replacing our plastic containers with glass but want to find nicely stacking glass containers. They ought to make each container a slightly different size - just different enough to fit inside each other (ie differ by the thickness of the glass). I saw in WallyMart that Rubbermaid has stacking containers - the walls are slanted. I thought of that idea/design too, but I wonder if the lids will stay on well due to the angle of the sides.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 5:22:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 5:22:48 PM PDT
DivideByZero says:
Unrelated to the product, but I think you should reconsider your assumptions here: "...recycling is, of course, better than throwing them in the trash, but the process of recycling creates pollution".

You are correct (and I'm glad people are finally starting to catch on) that the recycling process itself creates pollution, uses valuable energy, and requires spending on production processes that are usually far less efficient than the fine tuned mass production process for new products.

But I have to ask why you still feel that putting plastic in a landfill is less preferable, despite evidence that government-subsidized recycling has significant downsides?

A popular economic & environmental position is that, if recycling is truly more or equally efficient as "new" mass production processes, the market (i.e. mutual agreements between people and companies) will figure this out and start doing this on it's own. Aluminum recycling (which companies will actually pay you for) is a good example. Another is printer cartridge "recycling" where you can drop off used printer cartridges at stores like Staples. (A good "test" of whether recycling extracts extra cost from society is to look into whether the government *has* to subsidize and advertise for it, or if companies simply do it on their own.) Sometimes, we really are better off tossing certain things in the trash and re-manufacturing them brand new.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 4:28:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2013 4:33:05 PM PST
Leslie Estes says:
SNOPES?! Never trust snopes. This group has an agenda that more often than not will support big biz and big pharma. They also refused to disclosure all of their contributors when I requested it, saying this was privileged information. I honestly think Snopes was established by corporate backers as a means of promoting disinformation. Snopes purposely gets all the silly internet stories correct, and a most of the less threatening to business consumer questions, as a way to establish credibility, giving Snopes fans a false sense of security.

Bottom line - believe rigorous science not the opinion of Snopes.

PS - great review! Thanks. It convinced me to buy these. Plus $18 for 14 pieces here is a much better buy than Walmart's $21.97 for only 6 pieces (same sizes).

Posted on May 12, 2013 11:43:55 AM PDT
yippee1999 says:
Hi there. I was going to ask you a specific question on 'nesting', and I see that you actually mention it in your review...but I'm a bit confused and want to clarify.

When I am not using the containers and want to store them in my cabinet, I want to be able to sit all the glass containers inside each other, and then pile all the lids elsewhere in my cabinet. You sort of imply these glass containers can indeed nest one inside the other (which I actually find surprising...I would have thought glass containers would be too thick to nest) but then you say something about putting the covers between each container when they are nesting.

To me nesting means all the containers are one inside each other, without their covers...the covers are somewhere else. Otherwise if the covers are on top of each individual container, then the containers are piled one on top of the other....not nesting inside each other.

So can you please clarify? For space reasons, I can only have containers that NEST....not containers that would sit in a pile, one atop the other.

Tx!

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2013 1:05:39 PM PDT
E. Snyder says:
I have these and Rubbermaid's square nesting containers and prefer the Rubbermaid. I'm pretty sure these do not nest if they are the same size, but the Rubbermaid do. The Rubbermaid covers seem more flexible and durable too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2013 1:11:19 PM PDT
yippee1999 says:
Thanks! I assume these are the Rubbermaid to which you refer? These are ones I was also considering...

Rubbermaid 12-Piece New Premier Food Storage Container Set
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (3,659 customer reviews)
 (2,547)