1.0 out of 5 stars Should be called "Call of Duty: Homefront", November 12, 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Ghosts - PlayStation 3 (Video Game)
**Final update - early Feb 2014**

I was curious after having happily sold this game a couple months ago to see what people are saying about it, so I decided to look at current reviews on here to see if any of the issues that made me hate the game and get rid of it were fixed. All of the recent reviews on Amazon pretty much have the same short, vague, generic script. They appear to me to be fake. If you look at the profiles of the people, you can see they either copy-and-paste the same brief language on multiple products (ie, "Bought this [insert type of product] for my son and he loves it..." etc), or they only posted the one review for this game. I have no idea how to report this to Amazon since I don't know if it violates any sort of terms of service or could even be remedied, but it is pretty messed-up since it defeats the entire purpose of allowing comments on a product.

SO... all I can say is read the slightly longer reviews if you are interested in this game. Maybe not mine because it is now novel-length, but basically I would suggest taking a random sampling of reviews for the game by looking at reviews with SPECIFICS as to why people liked or hated the game. The game still sounds like it is not worth paying the price for.

**End of final update, 1st update below***

**1st Update 11/29/13**

I sold Ghosts last week and it is gone from my home, for which I am happy, and I have deleted the information from my PS3 so zero space, physical or data, would be taken up further by this game. Do not buy this game for $60. I tried and tried to find a way to make this game fun, and just could not. I changed this game to 1-star overall too, since it is simply not a well-made (solid) game in terms of its basic game play.

People can keep whacking my review here, but not even a "COD fanboy" should be supportive of this product, if anything they should be even more disappointed. Perhaps IW have since released enough patches for the game to make it is more fun then it was last week before I got rid of the game, but releasing an unprepared game itself is enough reason to not support a series further.

Campaign mode was terrible for reasons I mentioned below (I did not bother finishing it), Extinction was immediately boring and made me miss the offline challenge modes from MW2 & MW3 even more, the free DLC map that came with ordering through Amazon did not work for online multiplayer with the main rotation, the online maps are at PS1 levels in terms of load times, even the bots which I thought MIGHT be the saving grace for a few more weeks of this game were difficult to kill since once again the screen just seems SO zoomed-out and hard to see guys.

It is truly a remarkably crappy game considering it is a billion-dollar game, I think. And I am SURE they are well aware of it, and maybe like the big banks they just don't care since people will still buy it and sing the praises.

This and Homefront are the two biggest wastes of money I feel I have ever spent on a major brand video game (or game with major advertising blitz) (since the PS1/N64 days). I have been playing FPS games since "the old days" (Wolfenstein on the computer, then Medal of Honor on PS1), so 20 years or so now, and I realized the same thing as with Homefront: this was not fun. It was not a fun game. And a game that is not fun is not a game worth paying hard-earned money for.

**End 1st Update, original review below**

Original review:

After having played a bit since its release date both offline campaign mode and online mode, I'm just already tired of this game and wish SINCERELY I had not spent $60 on it. It MIGHT be a fun-enough $20, I guess, but unless you are a diehard fan of the series, this is definitely not worth paying $60 for new, particularly if you are more of a casual gamer.

My pros are: 1. the multiplayer maps look pretty and the height & added interactive map features of many of the levels are cool, 2. the player customization is cool. That pretty much concludes my positive thoughts, unfortunately.

Campaign:

Call of Duty: Ghosts gets pretty much the same review as Homefront, which was the previous biggest video game ripoff I've played. It's generic now. It's been done.

The offline campaign mode is all about its own premise, and that's it. It feels like you're battling against some ridiculous grouping of bad guys in a ridiculous way (oh no, a random South American allied group, because... N. Korea was already taken previously by Homefront as a good new enemy...?) and you're basically playing every level from every other game you've ever played in any other FPS game.

It feels like these games are becoming more and more you are just a spectator, playing an interactive movie. That was my problem with COD MW3 - you just back off and let your squad do all the work, and it's not as though you have much of a choice. You get hit once by some random bullet you don't know where it came from, and you have to hide so you don't die, and then either it happens again once "blood vision" goes away, or your squad has all the fun for you and kills everyone. AND YOU GET HIT BY RANDOM BULLETS OFTEN, so you are thus having to HIDE often to keep from dying.

And the amount of times my squad would get in my line of fire drove me CRAZY. When I wanted to, you know, play the game, like, shoot the bad guys with my guns, my squad would run in front of me a lot of times, making me shoot them as well as the enemy. More then a couple times did I get whatever the "friendly fire will not be tolerated" is screen. That felt like Homefront-levels of AI poorness of quality.

Getting repeatedly killed by sharks was both an extremely random addition to the game (though not as random as controlling Lassie) and really really irritating. The prerequisite chopper and tank levels are also irritating and you can't wait until they're over.

There are so many levels where they just kind of throw you at them, throw you into them, they last a few minutes, then they are over as quickly as they started, leaving you going, "...ohhhhkayyy...that level happened and is now over..." You never fully get immersed into the game, and you end up feeling like you just want to play it to beat it so it's done and so you are then one thankful step closer to chalking the game up as a financial loss and pawning it/trading it in.

Ultimately, like Homefront, the campaign mode is hard enough in the wrong ways that it is tedious and simply unsatisfactory. The high point for me was probably the semi-stealth jungle portion, which lasted about ten minutes, but they were somewhat enjoyable ten minutes. I just killed everybody. It made it fun, I was in control of the game for that period without my AI fellas taking over and doing everything, and the enemy didn't automatically see me because I was, well, in the jungle. But then I remember the shark part and go back to shaking my head and thinking about the $60+ I spent on this game again.

Multiplayer (Online, ugh):

The way they did the maps in multiplayer, it is like Battlefield in that... you cannot see your enemies. This game is far worse than any other I've played online in how you die extremely quickly. Half the time you never see the person who shoots you. It seems like it is full of either snipers or stabbers. I doubt it would be very hard for a first-time player to get 100 deaths in their first 8 times trying.

The people who enjoy sprinting through levels stabbing are as always incredibly annoying - that is about as cocky as you can get, and seems like either a twisted way to approach a video game, or perhaps desperate I suppose if you're sick of getting quick-scoped. And Quickscopers in this game... ugh. You just see a person and you die. It's just not that fun. It is WAY too easy to die in this game (that goes for campaign mode too). "Realism" should always be balanced with FUN in video games, with fun always being the key goal. And frankly many of the kills I have gotten have been by me spawning behind someone who obviously has no idea I am suddenly there. It's not a satisfactory way of killing someone, but then you figure it happens to you every other time so whatever. Ugh.

I find myself "rage-quitting" often, because this is a VIDEO GAME and I bought it TO HAVE FUN, not to constantly get screwed. They MUST make these games for people who are more CASUAL gamers too, besides people who apparently have the time to just do nothing but play these video games online for hours and days at a time. Seeing some of the score and point skews of the winners is pretty pathetic. I'm sure people cheat with this game, but who knows how, and who has the time or energy to really investigate much further, other than to just report sociopathic people (why else cheat, and then try to justify it and make it the problem of those who play honestly, as all cheaters do?) who are clearly too good, of cheating.

If you are a casual gamer, like you just like to play every few evenings a week for a couple hours, you will not enjoy this game for its multiplayer - do not spend $60 on this game. It's been literally just one week since the game was released and there are already players at the very least at Level 58 that I have seen.

Multiplayer (split screen, boo!):

One of the biggest disappointments of all to me personally, is that they got rid of the offline multiplayer challenge modes that made COD MW2 and 3 so fun and re-playable for those of us with actual friends in the real world we like to hang out with and play these games with. Instead they brought in some zombie-like alien mode that I have not yet tried because what is the point. Playing next to a friend the screen feels like it's zoomed-out somehow, maybe because it's more stretched wide, where it is just more difficult to see.

Further thoughts/rants:

I don't know if it's the developers or who, but this game is another over-priced disappointment, for me the biggest one since Homefront. The graphics do not seem that impressive, everything else is pretty unoriginal, and online play is pretty bad unless you have some mega-100" giant screen or I guess are a person who gets to just play all day and is on high volumes of caffeine or something.

Angry review. I won't give this one star, because it has enough different things that you can play through and it is a way to spend time, though not perhaps the best way to spend time. And for those people who may read this review and say the game is NOT for "casual gamers," so why I am knocking it so much, I paid the $60 for it like you did, so the game is just as much for me as it is for you.

Bottom-line:

Not worth the money at $60. I would not be happy with having spent anything more than $20 on this game. It's fun in that: it's a new COD game. That is all. Nothing more. At all. This was not a step in the right direction, other than the size of the maps online and the player customization. The size of the maps online are great. Except you can't see who is killing you.

As always, I don't care what series a game is, I have pretty much tried them all, owned a few, and I only have loyalty to whether a game is fun or not, and worth spending the cost at the time. I realize I pretty much just make fun of this game a lot here and do knock it heavily, but it is with disappointment and frustration that I do so. I would have much preferred the game being fun, re-playable, and worth having dropped $60+, and it was just not much of any of those things. This game is pretty bad. And that is pretty disappointing. It feels like a prettier version of Homefront, with some elements (and levels) "borrowed" from GoldenEye Reloaded. It will, once again, make me think twice about purchasing games brand new.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2013 1:00:34 PM PST
Shoxmaster says:
Well written review. The constant recurrence of quickscoping and knifing, along with the evolution of perks/killstreaks have crippled the series in my opinion. Granted a lot of people enjoy these aspects, but it makes for an unrealistic, scatterbrained shooter. I made the mistake of buying Black Ops 2 (solely due to friends owning it), but am unwilling to give the series another chance.

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 1:13:58 PM PST
Phoenix says:
This is obviously almost a 'Rage-Quit' review. And it's appropriately so. You nailed my feelings on this game. I have every other COD out there (ALL) because I only enjoy two types of games really..and good FPS are hard to find.

The other problem is that if you like FPS multiplayer, this games bread and butter, you MUST have the latest game. The company DOES NOT support the older games anymore. So if you were to nostalgically go pop in a MW2 or MW3 game and go to multiplayer...it's unplayable because people have hacked the bejusus out of it...or you can't get enough people for a lobby.

Back to Ghost: The campaign is utterly horrible. The sharks ...ah the sharks. If you have to rage-quit in campaign mode..that says a lot.

I do want to add one thing to your review...DO play Infestation mode. I never did much like Zombies mode but Infestation is one of the best features of the game. It's very fun with skilled teammates. Although at this point it's nearly the exact same every time you play it. In this mode you can play as a few different player types and adjust your skills, loadout, killstreaks and advantages. Maintaining a balanced team is a must.

Multiplayer: WOW...there are waaaay too many sprinting stabber guys and quickscopers. The quantity of these jokers in game make a negative difference to each map. It is SUPER ANNOYING. I actually like FPS for the strategy needed and these guys just run around with zero strategy at all. It makes the game fool completely cartoonish.

The other Multilayer problem >> LAAAAGG!! I pay extra to have a super fast internet speed and you can't tell at all. Guys are already shooting at you before they are even visible on screen. I have to watch the replay death-cams to see what the heck happened. The LAG is ridiculous half the time. And the load-times between matches is unbelievably annoying especially when you are stuck in a lobby with morons and their microphones.

Why the eff did they get rid of Demolition mode and the Tactical Insert? These guys are morons.
You seriously NEED a tactical insert in this game because there are so many spawncampers and spawn swaps constantly. And now there is ZERO ability to do anything about it.

The one thing I do like is that 75% of the multiplayer maps are pretty good.

And you are correct...there are a TON of cheaters in game. I report them as well but I seriously feel like those messages go straight into a 'deleted items' folder instantly. I see nothing done about it.

Some are easy to spot...they have 200,000 kills and are level 6...and when you try and report them you get an error message half the time.

I was very very disappointed in this game to say the least. Rage-quit is going to become a well known term thanks to this game.

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 11:57:50 AM PST
Eric Jones says:
Well while i wont agree about the campaign as I thought was the best part of the game i will agree with just about everything you said as it usually takes a few months before i wanna break the latest cod it took me less than a week to wanna throw my controller threw my tv. i also made the mistake of buying this game as a gift for my friend and safe to say we both hate this game. Now the shark level was actually pretty easy just play it slow haha. multiplayer wise im glad im not the only one who cant even see the person that shot me half the time i die in this game im not joking when i say you will watch the killcam and you were already be dead by the time YOU had walk around the corner. AND THE CAMPERS OMG THE CAMPERS. they piss me off more than anything else because it stacks all the previous issues mention they're sitting there you walk around corner and are dead a split second later to someone who was not even on the screen but watch the killcam and there were 20 ft right infront of you with a thermal scope on their sniper waiting for the next sap to walk into their sites. last words of advice, do not buy this if you have even a slight anger problem the cons that will make you angry in this game far out weigh the pros that will it fun for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2013 4:22:45 PM PST
BEEZER says:
Brilliant review, I think you just saved me 60 bucks.

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 7:52:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2013 7:53:04 PM PST
Pretty Ricky says:
Agreed on all sides...bought it as a pre-owned for $45, irritated I spent that much. It is truly the most "painful" to enjoy playing and I have been gaming for 30+ years. It's a waste to buy, Gamefly or Redbox it if you can just to understand the level of garbage the rest of us suckers invested in. One of the best marketed games to date playing off the hype and success of previous wins. It feels like a beta test and moving forward will definitely rent before investing again. As a longtime and self proclaimed Die Hard Fan of the Series..I so wanted to believe it was a good as it was marketed...thoroughly disappointed

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2013 6:36:28 PM PST
Doug Staley says:
THANK YOU. I thought the lagging crap was just me... Pulling my hair out with it. I pay through the nose for my 40meg high speed. I'm a huge cod fan, but lag I just can't do. So far I hate this game because of it.

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 4:05:10 PM PDT
Hanna says:
This is the best review I've found of this game so far, and I wish I would have read it before I purchased this game. Luckily I bought it new on sale for $20 this week.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (1,567 customer reviews)

$29.99 $11.39