5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV!!, April 7, 2012
This review is from: Samsung PN64E8000 64" Class 1080p Ultra Slim Plasma 3D HDTV (Electronics)
Did a lot of research before buying this TV. I have always owned LED/LCD TVs in the past and to be perfectly honest I was a Plasma hater and never thought I would own one. I originally was going to get theSamsung UN60ES8000 60-Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Silver). I along with a lot of others thought plasma was a step down. Boy was I wrong! This TV has the most amazing picture I have seen, and that right out of the box. I haven't even adjusted any settings yet. Some key things I was worried about when buying a plasma was that they always seemed so much darker than the LEDs, I believe it might be the was the stores display them because the TV in the store display was playing the Dark Night and it seemed very hard to see. However once I had them put in a different DVD the TV seemed extremely bright. I owned a 55 inch SAmsung LED prior and now seeing them side by side I can tell what I have been missing. First the colors are extremely clear and accurate, I noticed how washed out an LED TV picture is now. Also the motion blur I got from any fast moving things is not a factor on this plasma as it was on my last TV. If your a fan of 3D the 3D on this TV is great. No crosstalk like early 3D models. I was also concerned about the glare, I have a sliding glass door in the room I have the TV as well as a bay window directly behind. Sure there is a little glare from the window but no more than I had with my LED, its just something that you have to deal with on any TV. This TV also has no issues viewing in the day time with the entire room lit up.

Now for the Cons... the Smart TV features aren't quite as smart as they think they are. The voice control works surprisingly well unless you have the TV up loud then it has a difficult time hearing your voice. You can press a button on the remote and talk into the remote(there is a microphone on it) which will work but if you have the remote in your hand already why not just push the button. I guess this is good for web browsing and being able to speak any text. The motion control on the other hand doesn't work so hot, I actually haven't even got it to understand I am waving at it and trying to use it. It seems to only attempt to work when the room is very bright. Voice good. Motion not so good.

The only other Con which I guess is pretty common with a Plasma but new to me as this is my first is the buzzing the TV makes. I am sure I will get used to it and I don't hear it when the TV volume is up, but if there is a show on and there is a quiet part of the show I can hear the buzz. Not so loud that I can't ignore and live with it though.

So my overall opinion of this TV is I love the thing. You drop this kind of money on a TV it has a lot to live up to and its very easy to get buyers remorse. I am so happy I made the choice to buy this set.

I have only had the TV for a day so If I think of anything more I update my review. Ask any questions and ill do my best to answer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2012 9:28:28 AM PDT
i too am torn between un55es8000 and the pn60e8000 thanks for your review its helping me make the correct choice i have a pn50c7000 has no buzzing i have it plugged into a monster pure power stip not sure if that helps. i also have a un46d8000 led that has beautiful color it's much brighter then my pn50c7000. do you know how this compares with last years d8000 led?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 11:20:22 AM PDT
jjperron75 says:
Not sure how it compares to last year, however I have a 2010 55 inch 8000 led (not sure the model number) which I loved when I got it. Yes it brighter than the Plasma but what I realize now is that brighter isn't always better. To get that brightness it makes the entire picture a little washed out. I never really had an issue with it because I didn't know anything different. They are both really great TVs but the picture on this Plasma rocks. I watch a ton of blu rays and they look so much cleaner on this TV than my last. I really am glad I went with the Plasma and I am sure you wouldn't be dissappointed.

As far as the buzzing... I did find that it is level specific. As weird as this sounds if I stand up I don't hear it anymore. If i get lower than sitting on my couch I also don't hear it. Seems that where it is sitting is at the perfect level that when I am sitting on my couch the buzz is at its loudest. So, I am figuring when I mount it on the wall in the next week or so that will illuminate me hearing the buzz anymore. If I do Ill try the monster power strip though.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 11:04:09 AM PDT
So, did you mount it yet and if so did the buzzing decrease?

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 12:27:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2013 12:02:23 AM PST
Poise says:
Looks like you still have a few days to dump this TV. I would strongly encourage anyone to stay away from Samsung plasmas because of buzzing. I bought the PN59D8000 (last year's model) and had the same buzzing issue you described (click on my name and see the review). It was so unbearable I returned it. I can't believe they haven't fixed the buzzing issue.

Buy yourself a Panasonic. They are pricier but better quality. You have to actually put your ear to the Panasonic plasma to hear buzzing.

Posted on May 3, 2012 5:37:41 PM PDT
B. Geving says:
How is the edge lighting on dark scenes? I just bought the UN60ES8000 and the edge lighting can be pretty bad. Thinking of making the switch while I still can.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 11:42:45 AM PDT
jjperron75 says:
No issues with the lighting in the dark scenes. when its black it black.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 11:45:12 AM PDT
jjperron75 says:
Sorry, Haven't hung it yet. The TV is pretty big so it's gonna be some work. I have been procrastinating. Had it a month though and no regrets...

Posted on May 6, 2012 6:15:31 PM PDT
J. POLLARD says:
Just wondering what the buzzing is about... I have a D7000 I bought last summer and there is no buzzing at all. is the 8000 the only model that buzzes?

I heard some guy at Best Buy saying that the elevation matters, or something.... I am pretty close to Sea Level right now, and no buzzing at all.

Posted on May 8, 2012 10:12:51 PM PDT
mrsmike says:
I have owned the 64" plasma, 2011 model for about 5 weeks. Amazing tv. We mounted it above the fireplace. I never heard the buzzing in the room it is mounted in but have heard it in the next room. I think the height at mounting has a lot to do with whether you will hear the buzzing. As well, bare walls will amplify the buzz. I think it is more an acoustics issue, by that i mean that the tv bounces the electrical noise in a focused way, and does not disperse it in the room. I completely neutralized the buzz by adding heavier drapery in the room that the buzz was heard. When watching in the room that the tv is mounted i hear no buzz at all. I would suggest to any of you who hear the buzz, try moving the tv or aiming it towards furniture. You can nearly neutralize any buzzing by experimenting with object placement and proximity to walls or sound bouncing materials.
Finally, the buzz is not a dealbreaker at all. This totally awesome clarity beast of a tv will amaze you. The 3d is really impressive as well. If you plan on mounting it on a wall, make sure you have several hands to help, its a heavy beast when hoisting up..

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 2:34:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2013 12:03:34 AM PST
Poise says:
You shouldn't have to work around the TV's flaws. If you spend 1-2k on a TV it should be a pretty good.

It's ludicrous to have to buffer the noise by re-arranging your home setup or having to sit at a certain angle so you don't have to deal with the TV's flaws. You sort of reminds me of my dad back in the days with his rabbit ears TV that you had to tap to get a clear picture.

I 100% agree that the picture is amazing but the bottom line is that Samsung TV have had this issues for several years and they either don't care or don't know how to fix the problem. The Samsung 8000 series TV are suppose to be the "top of the line" models. When I think top of the line I expect perfection. Instead you get a champagne budget tv that leaves a cheap beer after taste.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (94 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $2,565.97