3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle formatting, November 23, 2011
This review is from: Jack Kennedy: Elusive Hero (Kindle Edition)
If you're thinking of buying the Kindle eBook, maybe think twice. I'm reading it, and enjoying the easy story telling style. But the Kindle format is annoying. Every page has random underlining that makes no sense for being there. There are family photos and scanned documents, hand written by JFK that are too small to read. I would love to know what he wrote. Customer service told me there's was nothing I could do to enlarge it.
Update: I returned it for refund. Too expensive to be like this. I'll either get it in a hard copy or skip it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2011 9:41:57 PM PST
rain cloud says:
Hi,
I just bought one of the bigger kindles and on it you can enlarge things etc. It's a LOT more entertaining to read on. Of course, it's a little over priced. Maybe you can get someone to get it for you for christmas.

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 4:22:26 PM PST
Kokopelli says:
One of my pet peeves is giving a book (which means the content to me and many other readers) a low rating because of price or formatting. At least you titled your review "Kindle formatting." And I do appreciate the information on the Kindle version because I hate it when you can't see maps or family trees on Kindle. I try to figure out if a book will contain such things, and if so, I buy it in paper. And you did speak well of the book's material. But a low number of stars affects the overall review rating of the book, and it doesn't seem fair to do that because of a formatting issue. It's definitely appropriate to mention it in a general review, but it hurts the book's sales because many people just look at the overall ratings and don't read individual reviews. I'm just offering this for your consideration with regard to future reviews. Also, in case you aren't aware of it, you can edit reviews you've already submitted by going to all your reviews. And thank you for letting readers know about the formatting issue.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 5:09:57 PM PST
Heraldo says:
Until Amazon provides a separate forum for Kindle format issues, the reviews are the only way to impart information about how the book works on Kindle. The random underlining is a DISASTER in terms of reading flow, and I believe the reviewer was entirely correct to mention it. I feel so strongly about this that I am going to write my own review warning people about this. Amazon also needs an easy-to-use way to let buyers know about unsuccessful Kindle formatting. Most books are fine, but I have encountered others that most certainly were not, and I would think that Amazon and publishers would welcome the feedback.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 7:29:13 AM PST
Heraldo,

Amazon DOES provide a separate forum for Kindle formatting issues and also for pricing issues. The reviews are NOT the only way to provide information about formatting. As I said, I don't think it's inappropriate to mention it in a review but to give total stars on that basis alone is not helpful. The proper place to discuss formatting is on the Discussions and Forums which you can access on Amazon. There are MANY available, and if none meet your subject requirements, you can start your own. I'm sure that many people don't know about these, and that's a loss to the Amazon community. I'm answering your comment only to inform you of this, not to start a debate about the proper place for formatting issues. I appreciate your opinion, and you can now proceed in whatever way you think appropriate. This is FYI only.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 10:05:00 AM PST
Heraldo says:
Of course I'm aware of the forums! I just don't think they are an effective way to alert buyers to formatting issues. I don't know how much Kindle-ing you do, but I use mine almost exclusively, and how successfully a book appears in Kindle format is an extremely important consideration ... so important that I would like to see a separate format star rating right under the review stars at the very top of the book's page. This, to me, would be the "proper place" ...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 3:32:09 PM PST
Heraldo,

A format rating is a great idea. I actually do read Kindle books a lot, and I guess I've been pretty lucky re formatting. Only a few books have had minor issues, nothing that made the book unreadable, just irritating. I've gotten several emails from Amazon with a notice that some book I've bought has been re-formatted to be more accurate. That's a nice thing, but it would be even nicer if they were correct the first time around. And you're right that the discussions are not a very efficient way to alert prospective buyers. You'd have to search all discussions for "format" and whatever title you were looking for, and it still might not show up. Sounds like you've run into a good bit of bad formatting. Why not start a discussion on your suggestion for a format rating? Or maybe give feedback to Customer Service. Anyway, I second your motion!

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 9:44:32 AM PST
Nilay Gandhi says:
The underlining's not random. They're hyperlinks to the primary sources.

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 11:29:24 AM PST
DE says:
I think this is an appropriate forum for formatting and other book specific issues, as this is where I'll buy the book, not the kindle forum. That being said, on a related note, check your main setting for notes/highlights. Go to the home screen, press Menu/Settings/Reading Options and make sure "Popular Highlights" and "Public Notes" are turned OFF. They were on by default on my Kindle Touch and it turned out the random hightlights, etc. that I had were notes of other users as explained on those "features". My reading experience is much more pleasant now!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›