5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, fast, fast!, March 15, 2010
This review is from: Transcend 16 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS16GSDHC10) (Personal Computers)
I bought this card for my Canon T1i. The card I had been using before ordering this one was a Kingston Class 6 micro sd card and it worked well enough for the type of shooting I did. Class 6 was the card speed that Canon recommended when I bought my T1i (Class 10 cards were not yet available) and it seemed fast enough for the way I used my camera - isolated single photos taken at Medium (8 MP) or Large (15 MP) jpg settings and 1280 x 720 video. And while I ocassionally took continuous photos, I had never much exceeded 5-10 photos in a row and had never run into a problem with my Class 6 card.

When I first saw the Class 10 cards I did some experiments with my camera. How many continuous Large photos could I take before the camera slowed down? It turned out to be about 30. And how many RAW photos could I take before the camera slowed down? It turned out to be about 9. SInce I did not generally take any photos in RAW and never needed more than about 10 continuous photos at Large, the Class 6 card seemed more than sufficient for my needs. But I wondered about the speed of the Class 10 cards enough that I finally bought one.

It turns out that the Class 10 card is sufficiently fast that there does not seem to be a reasonable upper limit on single Large photos. I have taken 60 on continuous without an issue. And although I still cannot take more than 9 RAW photos on continuous with the Class 10 card, when I am finished taking those photos the camera no longer displays a Wait - writing pictures screen. The RAW photos get written from the built-in memory to the card so quickly that the camera does not need to display the Wait screen.

So this card is fast! Given the way I take photos this purchase was unnecessary, but still I am glad I bought it. I know I will not run into a situation where speed is an issue with this card.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 16, 2010 8:17:05 AM PDT
The specs on the Canon T1i is 140 JPEGs total in burst, but only 9 RAW images. That is the limit of the buffer. You should see differences in video quality between a class 6 and class 10 card, have you tried that?
(the new T2i only lest you shoot 36 JPEGs and 6 RAW images in a row)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 6:17:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2010 5:26:40 AM PDT
I have not looked at the T1i specs, so I do not know what the actual camera buffer size is. Of course camera picture sizes vary based on the content (and the contrast) of the picture, but I assume that if the buffer can hold 9 RAW images and if a RAW image is around 20 MB, then the buffer limit must be somewhere around 160-200 MB.

I am sure you are right about the numer (140) of jpgs the buffer can hold, but I also assume that those are very small pictures, perhaps the 3 MP pictures with maximum compression.

I do not remember which Class 6 card I used when I did the first test, so I tried to re-do the test this evening. I selected a SanDisk card, formatted it and was able to take a little more than 20 Large pictures (15 MP, least compression, camera set at 1/500 sec) before I heard the camera slow down. I then used the Transcend Class 10 card, formatted it and was able to take almost 30 pictures with the same settings before I heard the camera slow down. These results differ from the first test, but the card I used previously may well have been a different card and hence a different speed. And, since I normally take photos at 8 MB, least compression, that was probably the camera setting when I did the previous test.

Typically a computer would wait for a buffer to reach some fill point before attempting to write the buffer contents to disk. But when I watch the camera as it is continually taking pictures it starts writing (based on the disk write light) as soon as the first picture is taken. So I assume that the camera starts writing in parallel with taking pictures immediately. Given that, I have to further assume that the difference between the 2 cards in this evening's test was due to the greater write speed of the Class 10 card and the ability of the camera to write significantly more data to the card in the same time.

I have not tried to take video with the new card (other than to be sure I could), but I will be taking a short trip in the next day or so and I will try to make sure I take some video and compare. I recently went to a local festival and took quite a bit of 1280 x 720 video using the Class 6 card. The camera had no problem keeping up and I was able to take as much video as I wanted without noticing any problem. The longest video I happened to take was about 2 minutes. The quality looked OK on a slide show, but was not up to the quality of my wife's little SONY cybershot T900 camera video. Perhaps with the new card the video quality will be better. I had not planned to take video at the higher resolution (1920 x 1080) because I expect I will be disappointed in the results due to the slower fps recording speed. That was something very appealing about the T2i - the ability to take 1920 x 1080 video at 30 fps.

I will post more information when I see the quality of the video with the new card. And thanks for the response.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2010 3:28:55 PM PST
smithnwesson says:
My experience with the Kingston class 6 is that it performs more like a class 2 maybe a slow class 4, not just 1 of them, but 3 of them all slow junk. I am surprised it did the video without a problem, they all choked in my t1i. Try taking video in 1080 and snap a still while recording video, watch the buffer bar on your screen show up, then choke and shut down the video. Kingston sucks and should not be rated class 6, I have Polaroid class 4's faster than the kingstons.

I have heard that Transcends of the class 6 variety are good (much better than kingston) so I am going to try one of these.

I doubt if they will be a match for my sandisk extreme, but they aren't the cost either.

Posted on Feb 22, 2011 8:32:26 PM PST
J. Ray says:
Sold, sold, sold!

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 8:56:26 AM PST
José Luis says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 12:50:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2012 1:01:59 PM PST
Bottom line is the Buffer in the T2i - it only allows for 9 Raw images to be shot consecutively. My Pentax KR will shoot 14 RAW images continuously (yet another reason to own a Pentax!!!). I tested shooting continuously shooting JPEG - I got 40 shots before waiting on write times on an old crusty Kingston Class 4 4GB card and only had to wait 15 seconds once held up by the buffer. Alternatively, I threw in a new $30.00 8GB Lexar Gold 133x speed, very high end card, and waited 10 seconds for the same 40 images. In reality, without pushing past shooting 20 images in a row, the buffer in my Camera always allows for shooting those 20 to 30 shots so write speed to the card becomes irrelevant. I NEVER need to exceed shooting 15 shots in a row anyway. Therefore, write times above the minimum 10MB/s are sufficient.

Again, bottom line is the buffer in the camera - if you have a good buffer in a good performing camera (like a Pentax KR or K5 or Nikon D7000 or better or a Canon 5D) then write times become less significant for the card. How many people fire off more than 40 shots in a row? Or shoot 20 in a row, wait 30 seconds, do it again, and again and again. A good priced basic Class 10 card in a great camera as listed above is certainly always enough.

I don't waste money on Lexar cards any more with excellent alternatives as this card exist.

Hope this helps future readers...Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 9:06:34 AM PST
Michael C says:
The Canon 5D you mentioned uses Compact Flash, not SDHC memory cards. CF cards are bigger and cost more, but the quality brands are much more reliable and rugged.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 10:39:19 AM PDT

Posted on May 17, 2012 7:49:07 PM PDT
cestmoi says:
This may be a stupid question to you professional photographers, but WHAT THE HECK IS A RAW PHOTO? I just bought myself a Nikon P510 on 5/14/12 (not delivered yet as of today!!) and I have no idea what y'all are talking about with respect to "raw"...

Please do enlighten somebody.

thx!

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 6:45:53 AM PDT
I am not a professional photographer (and neither are most people who use RAW photos), but I will try to explain without getting too technical.

Digital cameras collect light and color information through the use of a component of the camera called a sensor. This is a light sensitive device that collects all of the information and passes it on to a chip that converts this information into what you see as a jpg photo. The important part here is that the jpg is digitally created by the camera from the light and color data collected by the "sensor" and is not anything like the old film photos that came directly from the exposure of the emulsion. So the jpg is an artifically created image from data.

A RAW image is the data collected directly from the sensor without the processing of the camera computer chip. You have to use a program on your computer to put the data together in a way that creates a visual representation of the RAW data. It's advantage is that having the RAW data allow you to do more computer processing on the "image" and thus gives you more flexibility in modifying the image the way you wish.

I hope this helps.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (6,108 customer reviews)
 (4,648)