Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars This game is worth your time, February 7, 2012
This review is from: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
First off the many graphical glitches the demo had aren't present in the game. Kingdoms of Amalur is a good game. Its art style is similar to Fable with more of a deeper RPG feel. The game has everything needed to keep players busy for many hours. There are multiple side quests, several ways to build your character from mages to warriors and rogues. The real fun of this game is the battle system and many weapon types. The combat isn't boring like some games get. The games crafting and smithing system work well once you level them up. You only get one point at a time so you have to decide what area you are going to focus on. This means you won't be both a master smith and alchemist at least not early in the game. Your level in each area determines what items you find to use so it's a bit restrictive. The dialog system is odd as sometimes you get a dialog wheel and other times you get one word to click on. It works but doesn't feel quite like you're having a conversation. The characters I've encountered have more to say so you get some background on why you are doing the quest un like Skyrim where people just said hey go get this for me. I recommend the game because its battles are fun the story has some detail and you can play how you want. The developer claims there's over 200 hours of quests and I believe them since there are quests everywhere.

Update: You can redistribute your skills and change your character build for a reasonable fee. If you no longer want to be say a mage you can switch your skill set to something else. I am finding the merchants prices on items and to be a bit high on items though. Gold isn't made so quickly like some games so you need to spend carefully. The game has many spells you can learn but you can only map 4 at a time. It would have been nice if they made a way to map more spells for use.

Update: There's a lot of side-quests lore and collectables in the game. The main story is not its strongest point as most of what's going in the world is learned by exploring new areas and doing quests. You can't really power level to max all skills nor do you need to. The weapon smithing and gem crafting are fun when fully leveled up. My only 2 gripes with the game are its inventory system is severely limited for space and the menus are clunky to scroll through. The 4 spell limit is a bummer too because it forces you to really choose what spells you like. (The way both Dragon Age games used the R2 button to double scroll the buttons would have have really helped this game out.) I do really enjoy playing this game and recommend it to anyone who enjoys Rpgs.

Pros
Many ways to play the game mages warriors or stealth rogues
Play how you want...steel, sneak and many quests allow a peaceful or combative solution.
Detailed alchemy crafting and smithing systems
Fun battle system
Many side quests
Beautiful environments with a huge world to explore
Good story and voice acting.
100+ hours of play time
Doesn't lock up my PS3

Cons
Restrictive leveling only 1 point per level to spend on skills like smithing alchemy sneaking persuasion etc. It takes several points to max an area so you'll want to focus on being either a mage rogue or warrior. This can be changed for money but you still wont be able to max all skills until at very high levels
Some of the graphics on the characters look like they needed more polish
Sometimes the camera goes off into la la land in conversations.
Load times are around 20-30 seconds when entering buildings (it varies some go fast some are slow)
Some slowdowns with graphics engine when a lot is going on.
Camera can blind you at times in combat
I encountered a nasty glitch that made the whole TV screen twitch every 10 seconds and it would not go away until a previous save was loaded. My character got stuck in a spell cast mode during a battle so I lost a half hour of play time.
Only able to use 4 spells at a time
Some minor graphical hiccups occur in some spots

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 11, 2012 10:52:55 AM PDT
C. Labye says:
I haven't encountered the TV screen twitch that you mentioned or encountered any freezes, personally, but I do encounter some of the other issues that you have encountered. That said, it was pretty minor compared to the groan-inducing Skyrim problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 9:32:59 AM PDT
Krylos says:
I have experienced some oddities with the game. I am about 46 hrs of playtime into it. Some of the quests are kind of glitchy. On one, I was supposed to kill 5 of something. I killed 2 of them and happened to kill the main one (I suppose) and so it completed the quest.
Additionally, EA seems to have decided for us, that an in case pamphlet is no longer viable to tell you things like what the screen icons mean and how to attack and special attack, etc. They unthoughtfully included a "manual" on the in-game menu, if you can find it.
Besides seeming grossly incomplete, it is a pain to go back and forth to the game screen and then back to the soft copy of the manual to glean the information you need. When you could have just consulted a small booklet in your hand.
Unfortunately, a much larger complaint occurred today. I booted the PS3 after playing without any problems last night. Suddenly, had no HDMI feed! I rebooted to the maintenance menu and took option 2. Which seemed to be least destructive. (should have tried option 1 first, which is totally no-destructive, just resets the Video feed). Anyway, it took a few reboots and finally it came up and configured my HDMI on bootup.
Then, went to play Amalur and it says Game data is corrupt. A friend of mine told me how to delete the game data and have it do a rebuild on that.
Now, it tells me that my Save data is corrupt! That is a lot of play time to loose!
I was hoping to backup the save game to a memory stick and rebuild the whole database (option 3 or 4 on the Diagnostic menu).
I don't have high speed internet. Yes I am one of the tiny minority of 75% of the world that DOESN'T have it.
But EA has LOCKED OUT backing up your games on media!!!!! They now try to FORCE you into a PS Plus membership to back up your games. This is getting ridiculous!
I am over at my brother's house now "borrowing" some bandwidth trying to figure out if I can get a PS+ trial long enough to back up my game and then cancel it. Unfortunately, no success on that yet. I may just have to order it and then use it for a few hours and then cancel it and dispute it with my Visa. Sony and EA have gotten WAY too greedy for me.
I wanted to support the fantastic work done on this game, so I even bought a new copy instead of used. But with the lack of manual and the save game lockout, I can't recommend buying this new. You get all the same stuff used that you would get with a new one, assuming you are one of the few that don't have high speed internet you will never notice the difference between new and used on this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 6:13:17 PM PST
Romeo Xan says:
I played this game although ill admit I did not play many hours just in the beginning but playing Dragon's Dogma first then playing this game after I sort of loss the passion to try this game lol Graphics on Dragon's Dogma is very detailed to this cartoonish and I did not expect to have glitches on PS3. It showed it's not as put together game like when I bought this old game many years ago for Windows 98 or Windows XP called The Revenant. I wish they'd recreate that video game I enjoyed playing that game. But like that old game it had all kinds of glitches and the multiplayer on that game someone needed to rework it and I remember like NeverWinter Nights you could create your own map and play it online. And even the map editor similar to starcraft and warcraft didn't work well unlike starcraft and warcraft the map editor worked well... So what I'm saying if people can make a PC game and convert it to PS3 it certainly makes EA look like a bad company in making games compared to Dragon's Dogma for Capcom since there famous old games like Street Fighter are well made and don't have much glitches.

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 10:30:07 AM PDT
I would mention that if you are judicious in using trainers to improve skills, you can get a strong base of many skills, and still specialize.

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 7:36:38 AM PDT
JP says:
No, you can actually use more than 4 spells at a time. Although we can map only 4 spells at a time, it's actually equal to 8 possible spells we can cast at a time. For example, press on the mapped button to cast the base spell; press and hold to cast the next higher spell on the same tree branch.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›