Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar Transfer!!, May 29, 2012
This review is from: Alien Anthology (Alien / Aliens / Alien 3 / Alien: Resurrection) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I own the 'Alien Quadrilogy' and hesitated to upgrade for a long time. I hate nothing like a greedy studio that tosses out another edition of the same movie every two or three years. The 'Quadrilogy' is more than enough for any but the most hardcore Alien fans, and if you don't care about Blu-ray one way or the other, seek out a copy of that. You will be happy.
There is a major visual upgrade, the sound seems 'better', though it was difficult to reach the perfect balance. If I was happy with it in a dialogue scene, as soon as things started blowing up/aliens started screeching/guns started blasting, etc, I'd have to turn it WAY down. I am not enough of an audiophile to pronounce judgement on whether this was my soundbar's fault (it's a nice soundbar,though) or something about the Blu-ray mastering ( I do not recall having the same problem with the Quadrilogy).
There are many extras that were not present on the Quadrilogy, but unless you're super hardcore, not enough new stuff to make it alone worth the buy. It's mostly the same as 'Quadrilogy'.

I was VERY curious to see what the upgrade from DVD resolution to Blu-Ray would do for the films, and here is where your money's worth is over the DVDs. It's a MAJOR AND SERIOUS upgrade. There were actually several instances where I thought it actually was a negative, where some of the 'scare' is lessened because you can see the alien coming three miles away, where before it just pounced suddenly out of the shadows. That's 'tomayto/tomahto' though, because my fiance, who had not seen anything but the original, was plenty creeped out. I may just prefer my aliens lunging out of the dark because that's how I've always seen them.
But other than that one small personal minus, it's seriously cool- you can every little detail on every piece of the ship, where I couldn't before, even on the 'Quadrilogy'. One can see the truly enormous amount of craftsmanship and attention to detail that went into the set, costumes, and of course the aliens. Given that they had no idea their work would ever be put to such a test as 1080p, it's a true testimonial to the quality of their work.

I had a lot of trepidation because quite a few of these reviews mention the set will not work properly on a sizable number of Blu-ray players, and I've had so much trouble with mine already I was reluctant to risk it. (It is a newish player, was top-of-the line last year when I bought it and way more expensive than it needed to be for the amount of grief it's given me). THEN, though, I started noticing reviewers saying that the region-free version does not have these glitches. Amazon US does not officially sell the region-free version, but check out the "new and used from..." section and you will eventually find someone offering the region-free version. I have also heard of people just going to Amazon UK and purchasing it.
I've read several reviews noting the Region 1 version is packaged in the 'hardcover book' type cardboard style...the UK version is packed like a tradtitional set, in the familiar 'Blu-ray blue' plastic with plastic 'leaves' inside that each disc snaps in/out of, then the whole thing is slipcased as you see in the product description. I prefer this style.

I got mine from a guy selling his region-free set through Amazon and paid a very reasonable price. I haven't worked through the whole set yet...have not started the bonus features and probably will not for awhile as I'd already watched it all on DVD. So far, though, I've had no problems and the set is AMAZING. It was, all things considered, well worth the upgrade from DVD.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]