5.0 out of 5 stars The Wedge Shaped Design Is A Winner, November 24, 2011
This review is from: Sony SGPT112US/S Wi-Fi Tablet (32GB) (Personal Computers)
I have now used this tablet for almost 3 months. I am not a journalist or evaluator of electronic devices (borrowed for short period). I am just a normal user who uses it daily for myself. I do not own any other tablet but have a colleague who uses an iPad, with which I can compare.

CONCLUSION

After one month of use, I found myself loving it. After two moths, I was loving it even more. And after almost 3 months, I cannot live without. I recommend it highly to everyone.

WHY NOT APPLE'S IPAD

I am an Apple fan. I have been a Mac user for last 20 years. I bought at least 4 iPods in the past. And I currently use iPhone. So naturally I liked iPad when my colleague showed me one.

Then why I did not buy Apple's tablet (iPad)? That's because I am an iPhone user! More and more I learned about iPad, it became clear to me that it is a "big iPhone without phone". I already have most of the features of iPad in my iPhone.

In other words, If I buy an iPad, I gain little while paying twice for the same things. But If I buy an android tablet, my selection of features and apps gets doubled, as I gain an access to Android Market in addition to Apple's App store.

This was one of decisive reasons why I chose Sony Tablet over Apple's iPad.

HOW I USE IT

I use Sony Tablet both at home and at work, daily.

At work, I use it for emailing, web browsing, scheduling, and note taking.
At home, in addition to what I do at work, I use it as e-reader (Kindle), video/movie watching. I use it as a universal controller for everything in living room (TV, CABLE, BD/DVD Player, AV Receiver). I also sometimes listen to music (Music Unlimited) in bed.

On weekends, I take it with me when going out. I use it to take pictures and videos. I use it as e-reader (Kindle) at cafeteria while listening to music (Music Unlimited). My wife uses it to watch movies in the car when we go out for a long drive.

I charge it during night and I do not carry power cable at all during a day because I have plenty of juice left at end of the day.

WHAT I LIKE

A. Superb Design - Beautifully curved design with a wedge shaped body is a winner.

I found that its physical design is not just gorgeous but significantly useful.

(1) When holding it on your hand, it feels lighter than flat type because the center of gravity is closer to your holding hand.
(This is true even when holding it horizontally with both hands if you hold the upper half of the device. And it feels secure because the wedge shape on upper side works as a slip-stopper.)

(2) It is much safer and easier to carry it around room to room without fear of dropping it because the wedge shaped side works as a slip-stopper between your fingers that hold it.

(3) The screen is easier to view with less glare, and its virtual keyboard is easier to type when placed on the desk because the wedge gives a comfortable elevation on upper side. You do not need a special carrier case to do that like all other flat shaped tablets.

(4) This is the only tablet that you can gently put on the desk and comfortably pick it up without fear of dropping it because the wedge shape with hollowed sides gives you a convenient handle to hold it securely.

Sony is the first company that realized that thiner is not necessarily better. Thiner and flatter the device, the more difficult to gently put it on a hard surface of desk because your fingers are not on the sides but underneath, and you have to pull your fingers from beneath at some point. And thiner and flatter the device, the more difficult it is to pick up. (Just imagine about picking up an unbending flat thin plastic plate from a desk!)

(5) It is simply gorgeous to look at both when held in hand and placed on the desktop (you don't need ugly case to elevate the upper side).

B. Light Weight - Use of special plastics make this tablet light and strong.

(1) This tablet is lightest among all tablets in its size-class. It is essential for mobile device to be light. Lighter the better; therefore, it is the best in its class in this regard.

(2) Sony achieves this lightness by using plastics. However, not all plastics are made equal. Sony fortified its device by using very sturdy special plastics (as opposed to cheep ones used in Samsung's). In other words, it is high quality plastic that is strong, very strong.

C. Large Storage Capacity (External SD card and USB drive)

(1) I bought one with 32GB. I also bought a 32GB external SD card. Together, my Sony Tablet has 64GB at all times. That's plenty for many videos and movies and other data. (Compare with Kindle Fire which has only 8GB)

(2) In addition, with a USB connector ($17), I can also connect to my 500GB USB pocket drive if I need it. (iPad does not have USB connector.)

D. High Quality Camera and Video Recorder and Crisp Video Replay
One of the things that my friends envy about my Sony Tablet is quality of pictures and videos it can record. You take video in front of them and replay immediately in beautiful resolution. And watch their reaction :). It's fun.

E. Universal Media Controller
I use it as universal media controller in my living room. I have now one device to control my TV,Cable, BD/DVD, and AV Receiver.

F. EReader Apps
I have all with Sony Tablet: Kindle app, Nook app, and Sony EReader app in this one device. I use Kindle app to read, well, Amazon books. I use Sony Reader app to read books from local libraries.

G. Music Unlimited
My music life has changed drastically after I became a Sony Music Unlimited subscriber. My music life was centered around Apple's iTune, in which case I was listening to same music over and over again because I had to buy every songs that I want to listen. And I can buy only so many. However, if you become a subscriber to the Music Unlimited, millions of songs become available to you. Suddenly my music world became drastically widened. I now listen to more music that I have never listened before. My favorite songs no longer become boring due to overly repeated listening. And I can listen to Music Unlimited at any place (not just Sony Tablet but any networked device such as PC, PS3, BD/DVD, etc).

H. Wide Screen
Unlike iPad or iPad-wannabe tablets, Sony Tablet has a wider screen. That gives Sony Tablet at least two major advantages. First, it is much more suitable as a movie viewer. If you intend to use tablet for movie viewing, this is an important consideration. Second, it gives Sony Tablet a comfortable space for a virtual keyboard that includes numeric keypad, just like a normal keyboard. I really hate iPad virtual keyboard because I have to keep switching in order to type a number. Another good thing resulted from Sony not followling Apple.

RECOMENDATIONS

1. You do not need to buy a carrying case specifically made for a tablet if you already have a laptop case. I did not buy one because the wedge shaped Sony Tablet does not need one. I simply wrap my tablet with a soft cloth and put it in a case I had for my old laptop. In a cafeteria, I proudly pull out my Sony Tablet and place it naked on a table and look at a guy at next table, who is typing into his iPad submerged inside an ugly case that he has to use in order to give it an angle.
2. You need some kind of screen wiper. I bought "Monitor Wipes" from Staples. I carry several wet sheets in a small plastic bag, which I refill once a week.
3. You do not need to worry about power plug that some evaluators seem to complain. It works just fine.
4. You do not have to buy Kindle or Nook devices to enjoy Amazon or B&N e-books. You can get a free Kindle app or Nook app as well as Sony EReader for Sony Tablet.
5. You need headphones if you intend to use it for music or movies in public (such as cafeteria). I bought Sony Ultra Lightweight MDR-W08L ($7) from Amazon. It's very light and easy on your ears.
6. Configure system so that you can have your virtual keyboard with numeric key pad. It is so much easy to type things if number keys are available without switching keyboard.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2011 1:44:32 PM PST
Sox Fan says:
Great review!
I was a little bit hesitant about buying the Sony tablet after reading some of the negative reviews here, but I think I am more convinced about buying it now that I read yours.
Thanks!

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 11:35:43 AM PST
I am in the middle of researching tablets to decide whether to get the ipad2 or something else. I also have the iphone and itunes, etc. Your point about the ipad being more of the same thing struck home. Brilliant!

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 8:53:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2011 8:58:28 AM PST
Michael P. says:

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 3:34:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2011 3:34:57 PM PST
V. Maharaj says:
Hey, the tab supports 64gb SD Cards, (NOT MICRO SD) but i have a question: -

When you plug the tab into your PC with a USB cable and you open MY COMPUTER and select the tablet can you access the SD Card from there?

OR

Do you have to physically remove it and put the card in your PC's card reader to access it and move data on and off of it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 7:00:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2011 7:09:39 AM PST
socrateos says:
I do not connect my tab to PC with USB cable.

Mostly I use a FTP server to transfer files over wireless network.

My wife likes to use SD card to copy files from her PC, which has all types of media connectors.

But for movie viewing at home, I use a media stream sever to watch on big TV inliving room or on my tab in bed room.

My use of USB cable is only when I need to retrieve files from one of my external USB drives.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 12:43:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2011 1:34:44 PM PST
mcmastermyk says:
My question is to michaels post. Read your own comment, do you know the definition of hipocrite? You say he works for sony then ramble on about how amazing the Ipad is.(ignorance is bliss i guess) Also he makes total sense, I have an Ipod touch, so if I got an Ipad I'd sell my touch and buy a cheap basic ipod because it's only purpose would be music!(Especially since the ipad is so easy to travel with)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 2:54:52 PM PST
V. Maharaj says:
ok all that is fine and good, but could you do me a favour, just plug the tab into your pc using the Micro USB cable and tell me if you can access the SD card directly over the tab without having to remove it please.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 3:22:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2011 3:23:31 PM PST
Steven Z says:
@Michael P.
Let me guess...you work for Apple? And have no common sense?

HOW COULD HE POSSIBLY WORK FOR SONY IF ALL HE OWNS IS APPLE DEVICES EXCEPT THE ONE TABLET?! Lol.

Anyways, there's a few problems with your arguments. The wide screen thing is valid, except for the fact that a narrower screen in portrait would tend to make the Sony Tablet seem more like a paperback book, whereas the iPad's 4:3 screen makes it feel more like a magazine than a book. But anyways, I don't find it that big a deal. It's just as easy to browse in both orientations on both tablets; it's just a matter of getting used to. And maybe the iPad has more storage options, but guess what? The iPad doesn't have external storage! So go and enjoy your expensive 64 GB iPad while I can grab a MUCH cheaper 32 or 16 GB Sony Tab and grab a huge SD card to go with it. And shave $200 bucks off the retail price? It would be nice, but this is no Kindle Fire, buddy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 8:36:01 PM PST
Ash1138 says:
"Makes no sense to get any other tablet but an iPad, unless you have plenty of money to burn??" Huh? iPads are already hundreds more than the highest end Android tablets and are less powerful with less features. Getting an iPad by definition is burning money. And as this tablet is already half the price of an Ipad2, I'm not sure I get the comment about cutting the price by $200.

Also, since this tablet (and just about all Android tablets) have memory slots and USB ports, having less built in memory is not much of an issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 12:09:59 PM PST
K. Evans says:
I hope your skin isn't to thin? Apple does make a top 5 tablet, but Apple has always fallen behind in the war of inovation to their more favored products; Indeed I am of the mind that they enjoy giving away market share...
My sister was 1st in the family to purchase a Sony and I've watch over 12hrs of movies continious and still had power. Did you miss the part(s) about the USB port or SD card? Oh, and my fav feature being I put all 4 remotes for my Home Intertainment center in the desk drawer... I'm 62, disabled, and my vision is about 100 yrs old. It does loose a little in screen size for movies like AVATAR or Star Wars, but with the USB port I don't wear earphones... my Logtec sound bar doubles the fun! Yes it is pricy! But by my count? Sony and Acer both have real strong advantages. Don't get me wrong, I like the MAC world, (including phones and tablets) but I keep asking myself... why did they make the conscious choice to fall behind in terms of flexibility two (likely 3) years in a row? I'm beginning to think it is the only business plan Apple feel comfortable with.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (302 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $159.99