5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Plug & Play and Work Great, May 19, 2013
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-PA511 KIT AV500 Powerline Gigabit Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps (Personal Computers)
This item is as described. In reading some of the other reviews, I believe the confusion is in the initial paring of the units. All I did was plug them into two different outlets in the same room (clearly they were on the same circuit) and paired them, I did not even bother to plug in any Ethernet cables. I then moved one unit near my router and the other unit to a distant bedroom, hooked up the Ethernet cables and everything worked as described. I did not use the software resource disk that came with them.

I am getting much faster speeds in the bedroom than I was with Wireless N. I changed the cables to Cat 5e and both units are humming along with green lights. I would highly recommend these to anyone with wireless issues.

Also, although they are bigger than your typical power wart, they are designed so that if you plug them into the bottom outlet of the receptacle, they do not interfere at all with top outlet, leaving it free for a power strip or UPS. This was one of the unknown concerns I had prior to purchase.

For clarification the model I am reviewing is the TL-PA511 KIT.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2013 7:43:08 PM PDT
ORD says:
Hi IGold,
Do you know what speed you're connected after the pairing? thx

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2013 7:58:06 PM PDT
IGold says:
Not quite sure I am clear on exactly which stat you are looking for. That being said, I have never done any sort of throughput tests machine to machine to see that stat. I can tell you that on the connection status page on the "wireless" machine it is saying 1 Gbps. Other than that the only other thing I can say is that on internet speed tests (multiple sites) the "wireless" is getting the same results as the cabled machine which is at 30 Mbps down and 6 up which is what I am paying for.

If I there is something else you are looking for, just ask and I would be happy to try and help you out.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2013 4:52:39 PM PDT
ORD says:
great! that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for sharing this. Regards.

Posted on May 23, 2014 2:29:49 PM PDT
homealone says:
Just FYI, two outlets in the same room are not necessarily on the same circuit. Also, switched wall outlets are often connected to lighting circuits rather than convenience outlet circuits. That does not seem to present a problem using this though.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 7:43:27 PM PDT
Rolland says:
I did exactly as you said. I plugged the 2 boxes into the same outlet (no polarized plug), they paired right up. I then moved one to another room, connected it up to my xbox downstairs and ran vudu on xbox. Bam. Video played back just fine. When I first plugged in the box at the new location, the lan led was green, but after I plugged in the xbox, it went red. Vudu on Xbox said it needed at least 4.5mbs so I thought what the heck. Works great. Even did a HD 2 min preview w/o a dropout.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›