3.0 out of 5 stars Wifi problems, August 29, 2012
This review is from: Apple Macbook Air MD231ll/A 13.3-inch Laptop (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
This is a wonderful product, well designed and very light. Unfortunately, the Wifi is not reliable. I have many other Apple products connecting to my home network with no problems, but this MacBook Air just can't keep a reliable connection. The connection slows down to a crawl every few minutes, sometimes it drops.

On Apple users forums, I discovered hundreds of other people had the same problem (google for 'Macbook Air Wifi problems'.) Some hoped that an upgrade to Mountain Lion would fix the problem, but this is not the case.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2012 7:11:58 PM PDT
yujie zhang says:
Have you turned off the bluetooth connection? I once bought a magic mouse and turned on the bluetooth to get it connected. Then my WIFI slowed down dramatically.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 10:34:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2012 11:54:04 AM PDT
Christophe says:
You are right, for some people apparently this resolves the problem of the slow Wifi, so it is worth trying.

In my case, turning off bluetooth didn't make a difference. I returned the laptop, Apple did not make any problem and refunded me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 10:51:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 3, 2012 4:51:17 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 6:03:01 AM PDT
G. Morris says:
I had this same problem. I solved the problem by doing two things: first, I went with a wired mouse since I found a reference on apple.com that if you have this problem to try turning off Bluetooth (I was using an Apple wireless mouse with my Air). This helped a little. I finally fixed the problem completely when I swapped out my 4th generation AirPort Base Station with a brand new AirPort Express 5th generation Base Station. Since then (about six weeks ago) I've had NO problems with wifi on my Air.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 9:00:23 AM PDT
80sGuy says:
Mine has been smooth sailing without hiccups for more than a week now. I didn't use Bluetooth (no need to) and I am using the latest Airport Extreme 5th Generation. Bought it to replaced my 8 year old Linksys G router four months ago.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 1:16:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2013 1:20:06 PM PST
ltsgt2gether says:
Christophe: don't know this for sure, but I have a Sony VAIO desk top (XP), an HP netbook (Windows 7) and an iMAC (Snow Leopard). I have some issues with IE but that's been an ongoing thing for years, very few issues with Firefox, and CONSTANT issues with Google Chrome on all three computers so it may not be the Macbook Air. Google is always stalling, disconnecting at times, freezing and it really upsets me . It used to be a super browser but now it sucks. I may be wrong but I believe it is open source and I guess techy gurus can try different things with it, I don't know but if it is and they do then it's probably or may be the problem. I'm looking forward to getting a Macbook air. Haven't decided between it and the pro but for portability and such am leaning towards the 13.3 Air so I hope it doesn't have issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 2:53:32 PM PDT
J. Turner says:
Seems like an unnecessarily expensive solution, no?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (393 customer reviews)

$1,199.00 $975.00