Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now DOTD

1,079 of 1,119 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A "will you like it" flowchart, September 21, 2013
This review is from: The Rosie Project: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Given how many reviews there are already on this book, I think I'll just focus on giving the potential reader some ideas about how to decide whether he or she will like the book. How about a flowchart approach?

Do you DISlike the way the Sheldon character on the TV show Big Bang Theory is written? If YES, then STOP. You will probably not like the book. If NO (i.e., you like the Sheldon character), then continue.

Do you have strong opinions about how a character with Asperger's should behave? If YES, then STOP. I've read some reviews by people who felt that the protagonist, Don Tillman, is unbelievable because he does things and responds to things in ways that someone with Asperger's wouldn't do. (I don't want to say what those things are, because it could be spoiler-y.) If NO, then continue.

(I do want to note that it's never stated explicitly that Don has Asperger's. Certainly he is lacking in social skills, has everything in his life organized and analyzed for maximum efficiency, and emotions are troublesome for him. But I don't think there is some kind of pattern book that people with Asperger's have to follow. I just looked at Don as an individual, and went with the flow of the book.)

Do you enjoy quirky, whimsical humor and romantic comedy? If NO, then STOP. If yes, then continue to the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon's product page, go to Chapter 2 and read the description of Don's talk "Genetic Precursors to Autism Spectrum Disorders." Just that couple of pages should tell you all you need to know, finally, about whether this will be a good reading choice for you.

I got a big kick out of the book. It's just a bouncy, character-driven story, and a feel-good romantic comedy. But NOT chick lit; my husband thought it was one of the most entertaining books he's read in quite awhile.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 15, 2013 7:16:13 AM PDT
K. Blaine says:
Maine, I LOVE the way you wrote your review. I took your advice to read Chapter Two, and thanks to you, I am going to read this book ASAP. Our book club just read a children's book, "Mockingbird," that was both heartbreaking and funny in places. The part of "Rosie Project" that I read reminded me of this book, and I was wondering if you are familiar with it. It is very short and could easily be read in one sitting. Thanks for a unique review!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2013 11:24:05 AM PDT
Thank you! When I saw there were already about a bazillion reviews for the book, I figured I had to do something different.

There's quite a bit of the first few chapters of Mockingbird on its product page, so I read it. It looks like a really good book. Thanks so much for pointing it out.

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:16:58 PM PDT
booklass says:
Maine! Good to see you again. Have not been on the mystery site for a while. I loved the book. As the mom of a son in the spectrum, I felt that the author really did capture a lot of what SOME people with Asperger's are like. Perhaps enhanced a bit, but my son and I laughed so hard at the lecture scene, I about embarrassed myself. I think it was one of the funniest book chapters ever written, and there was a lot of truth in it, as well.

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 3:06:19 PM PST
George F. says:
Thank you for a sensitive review. A member of my family has Asberger's. What I have learned from his presence in my life is that there is no set pattern for the condition. Since I've known him, I've encountered many others with Asberger's and they are all as individualistic as any people can be. To say that one person who has Asberger's doesn't fit the "pattern," is to deny every individual's uniqueness.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2013 3:27:51 PM PST
GF, thanks so much for your comment. You made my day. Your last sentence says it so well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2013 3:31:50 PM PST
Hey, booklass, it's good to see you! I don't know how I missed your comment since you made it weeks ago.

I so rarely laugh out loud when reading, even if I think something is very funny, but I totally lost it when I read the lecture scene too. It was lucky nobody else was around. I'm glad to hear you and your son enjoyed it.

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 1:21:55 PM PST
WisteriaM says:
Thank you so much for your review. I too read chapter two in the sample, and based on that I bought the book. The "flow-chart" is an excellent idea, we need more reviews like this.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2014 3:24:40 PM PST
Thanks, you made my day! I just wish I could have done all the graphics and everything so that this would be a real flowchart.

This was such a fun book. I think they made a big strategic mistake classifying it as Romance. A lot of people are never going to know about it because they don't follow that category.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2014 6:25:33 AM PST
K. Blaine says:
I agree, Maine--it is really more a romantic comedy.

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 5:47:12 AM PST
M Wallace says:
When you compare this to Big Bang I know I will not like this, Thanks for saving me
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›