Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Sudden introduction, January 24, 2005
This review is from: Feats Don't Fail Me Now (Audio CD)
So I'm at this party in the winter of '74, typical college affair, and I was sitting in front of the stereo trying to decide what to play next. My then-GF, just back from visiting her folks in California, hands me an album from a stack of new stuff she'd brought back with her. Now, at this point I was pretty jaded on rock and had been listening to fusion and jazz. She was smart enough to realize that Weather Report would kill a party so she says "put this on to keep the vibe going" and it was Feats Don't Fail Me Now.

I was instantly hooked. What chops! Who are these guys! Remember, this was in the day of no Internet, no real underground college radio, no nothing. It was hard to hear new bands, and they were new to us on the East Coast.

What really caught my ear was "Skin It Back" with those odd rhythms and changes, and over all George's slinky slide playing. I ran out and bought "Dixie Chicken" the next day and those two albums stayed on my turntable for months, only surplanted when Steely Dan came on the scene to also blow me away. And whenever I think of the general excellence of music in the mid-70s, Little Feat and Steely Dan come to mind

So, Denise, if you read this - hope you are happy and life has treated you kindly. Thanks for turning me on to Little Feat. I hope I can continue the karma by turning someone else on to them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 2, 2012 6:48:23 PM PDT
KM Petrullo says:
Awww, how sweet! AND right on the money re Little Feat! "Fat Man in The Bathtub" is my mantra! lol

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 5:26:52 PM PDT
PhillyBill says:
I agree.That ong is so great.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 6:30:35 PM PST
A full eight years after your original comment -- alas -- in a midwestern college in the mid seventies, I too was and still am in awe of what Little Feat , Steely Dan put out, and for me it was also the best Springsteen.

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 7:09:38 PM PDT
Kit Sargeant says:
Yes. "Skin It Back." What an incredible song. So happy to see other people peg that song as a favorite.

I got introduced to Little Feat back in college. NYU in the heart of Greenwich Village. I had a group of friends that constantly hung out together and every last one of us was completely into the Feat. Parties, sitting around drinking beers, first good day of spring and you're blasting music out your window ... we played Little Feat. It was the soundtrack of our junior year. When they played in Virginia, a bunch of us went on a road trip ... and were treated to the mind-bending experience of seeing and hearing them live. There are many contenders for the title of best LIVE rock 'n roll band ever. But the top ten list would not be complete without the Feat. In fact, one can make a pretty damn good argument for Lowell George and friends to sit at the very top of that list.

I obviously have a lot of Little Feat favorites. But for some reason Skin It Back is still tops. It's not even a Lowell George song. Paul Barrere's written some wonderful material in his career. But nothing else like this song. I don't even really want to try and explain why I love it so much. First, how boring is that? Second, I'm sure anyone can listen and decide for themselves what makes this a great song. (Unless they don't like it. It happens. There are actually people who don't like Little Feat as utterly baffling as that is.)

Just coming upon this comment made me want to pull out my original vinyl LP and play the song. And a song like this deserves the vinyl listen. The sly, deep bass line, the ear-worm slide guitar riffs, tangy syncopated keyboard accents and funky mellow drums all in support of a truly great melody. The kind of melody that feels like it HAD TO BE written. A melody too wonderful for someone not to have finally come up with it and shared it with the rest of us.

"Well I'm waiting for something to take place ... "

And then just before you are two minutes in ... the dueling slide guitars happen and as Jack Black's character in "School of Rock" character would say, "Your face melts!"

Great band. Great song. Great memories.

*And if you really dig Lowell George's slide guitar antics ... just pop on the next track ... Down the Road ... and again ... two minutes in ... and an extended dueling slide guitar solo that is even more amazing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›