5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, Entertaining... and Hard as Hell, July 27, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Catherine - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I got the Special Edition in the mail yesterday. Amazon rocks! So I put it in and... 7 hours later I'm still playing it and only stopped cause I had to go to sleep. This game is amazing. Right now I'm at stage 6, level 2. (There are 8 stages). It may seem too short but it has multiple endings and a lot of re-playability.

Graphics: I don't like Anime. Let me repeat. I'm DO NOT LIKE ANIME. I don't hate it, i just don't care for it. But this game looks beautiful. It actually makes me sorta like Anime more. But overall, the graphics look beautiful.

Music: If you've played Persona 3 then you will know some of the songs here. The music works very well. In the nightmare stages the music fits when the stage has a foe chasing you and when it's more a stage to get you used to the new stage elements that have been introduced.

Story: Here is where the game shines the most. You play Vincent who is having nightmares every night. At the same time, he is being pressured by his long time girlfriend, Katherine, to take their relationship to the next step. And on top of this, another girl, Catherine, is seducing him and trying to take him for her own. Now he is caught in a web of lies, secrets and guilt. Every time you pass a nightmare sequence you wake up to more drama in his real life. It's very engaging.

Gameplay: I really hate to call the nightmare sequences "puzzles" cause it sorta makes it less than what it is. These are Vincents nightmares. He has to climb to the top of these evil towers to escape so as to not die in real life. So the tower begins to fall down as you start climb, or there some huge monster chasing you. Everything in the dreams is connected to his real life in some way. There is more I would like to say to make sense of the sheep you see on the cover, but I don't want to spoil anything.

You are given questions to answer here and there throughout the game that determine the direction the story will go for you. The game has multiple endings and difficulties and medals you can get depending on how fast you climb the towers. So you can get a lot of game play out of it.

Overall, I love this game. I think it is pure genius. The issues that it addresses are very relate-able and really suck you into the story.

The Special Edition comes with just a pillow case, not an actual pillow by the way. The Special Edition isn't really all that worth the extra $20 in my opinion but this game is so special i just HAD to have it so I don't regret it. There hasn't been a game like this in a long time. I'm VERY impressed with how well they pulled off this whole concept and made a very VERY fun game.

If you are hesitant on this game, then try the demo. But i will warn you, the demo doesn't really do a great job in tying in the nightmare sequences with the story so you may get the wrong idea. Also the nightmare parts are a lot more complicated once you play the full game, and they get really creative, fun...and HARD. If you can rent the game, that would be best. But I would say if you like it, to go ahead and buy it. It's one of the few games out there that is worth full price in my opinion.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 28, 2011 4:16:31 PM PDT
I agree. Calling the nightmares "puzzles" may be accurate in terms of genre, but they don't feel like puzzles as much as they feel like a mad scramble to survive. Like an action-platformer that directly engages your mind instead of your reflexes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2011 5:37:30 PM PDT
David Rey says:
Wow, that is a really good way to put it. I've been trying to find the right way to describe those parts of the game. It seems like people just say "oh that game is a puzzle game" like it's Tetris or something. But when you are actually PLAYING it, it feels like much more. Good post.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 5:05:41 PM PDT
ne, you forgot to mention the polls that are included in this game. i thought it added a touch of sophistication by having those polls. if you're connected to the network it gets even better because now you get an idea of who chose which answer the most. quite fascinating if you ask me. catherine certainly is original.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 9:25:24 PM PDT
Prinny_dood says:
Yeah, I enjoyed the polls a lot as well -- it was always interesting to see how other people answered. I'd like to point out though that if you're playing offline, they show results to the questions from people they surveyed beforehand. The cool thing there is that you can actually use the D-pad to see the difference between men and women when answering specific questions. For some of the questions, the results are about the same regardless of gender, but for others it can vary significantly. Pretty interesting stuff. Gotta love Atlus games :D

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2011 1:12:28 PM PDT
David Rey says:
Yeah the polls were interesting. I beat the game finally. Clocked 16 + hours on Normal. Now that I beat it, I will say that one of my main complaints would be that towards the end, they give you more save points. It felt like if i stopped at any point I would have to redo the cut scenes or even a tower. Other that than, it was awesome.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (228 customer reviews)

$29.99 $17.89