2.0 out of 5 stars Great right up till the end., March 9, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 - PC (DVD-ROM)
I have never been so conflicted about a game. I love Mass Effect, I've loved the series ever since the first game. I have played both ME1 and ME2 so many times I've lost count. I've bought all the DLC for both games, I bought the novels because I didn't want to miss anything related to the story and I have been so excited for ME3. I busted my butt to get my Shepards ready, I had three of them created and waiting to import into ME3. I've spent hours agonizing and creating very different Shepards because I wanted to experience all the different endings we were promised. I even took vacation time from work for a few days because I wanted to be able to just play.

Right up until the end I would have easily given this game five stars. I was playing with a great big grin on my face right up until the end. The ending totally ruined it for me though. I don't even want to play it again to finish my other Shepards stories because what's the point?

Here is what I loved:

The story was great until the last 5 minutes. There were times when choices you made led to bitter-sweet conclusions but they made sense in the context of the story. And yeah there were a lot of things that happened that made me cry but again they fit into the bigger picture and made sense. Bioware did a terrific job of showing you the despair people felt but also showing you the hope they felt. It was inspiring to watch people so willing to sacrifice everything for their families and their homes.

The interaction between Sheperd and her squadmates and the squadmates and each other was superb, one of the best things about the game. There were scenes that I watched over and over again because they were just amazing. Jennifer Hales voice acting is absolutely amazing and she brought femshep to life in a way that I don't think anything else could have.

I really liked the combat in this game, I think Bioware did a great job combining the best parts of ME1 and ME2. I liked that it was more challenging and that you had more powers than you did in ME2.

Here is what was kind of annoying but wasn't really that big a deal:

The import tool is broken so my Shepards face was all screwed up, I had to rebuild her from scratch.

They've changed the journal, instead of separating main quests and side quests they now lump them all together. Also the journal doesn't always update when you complete part of a quest so somtimes I have no idea if I've found a required item or not.

The game does have a few graphics issues, it lags in a few places and there's a few glitches when people are speaking sometimes.

I don't love the new walk that Shepard has. It's just weird, both in battle and when you are on the ship. I especially don't like femsheps walk when she's on the Normandy/Citadel.

Here is what I hated and what ultimately ruined the game for me:

The ending, yeah it was really that bad. I got the supposed good ending and all I could think was WTF. It feels rushed, it's really depressing, and most importantly in the end the choices you made don't really make that much difference. Everybody get's the same three choices in the end and they are all terrible and leave the galaxy in a really bad state. You may as well have just let the reapers kill everyone, it amounts to much to same thing. We were promised a satisfying conclusion to Shepards story and in the end Bioware leaves more questions than answers. Like I said I don't even want to replay the game now because what's the point?

This was a huge let down from Bioware and a sad end to a really promising series.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 22, 2012 6:30:01 PM PDT
K. Kitts says:
I concur wholeheartedly. I just finished the game, and I understand why people want their money back. I saved the autosave file so I could re-copy it and watch all three endings, and they all were the same except for one small detail, and the rest of the shared ending sucked. Without divulging spoilers, let me just say that I wanted to scream at the monitor, and that's not normal for me. It's as if they fired the writing staff just as they were coming to the end of the story, and they put a couple of idiots in charge to finish the game. I am NOT happy with EA. They've ruined yet ANOTHER game. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 11:43:26 PM PDT
Joseph says:
Yup, totally agreed. F-you Bioware: Because of this nonsense and the atrocity that was Dragon Age 2, I'll never purchase your games again.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 6:23:37 PM PDT
I've been pouring over reviews, waiting for the price to come down a bit before I dive in. I even deleted my ME 2 save file so I wouldn't be tempted to buy it sooner than later. It sucks to hear that the ending is so lack-luster, but maybe it'll be good for me, in that prices will drop quickly, and I'll get some sweet DLC included.

Thanks for the review. You're making waiting a little longer that much easier.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 12:05:42 PM PDT
AdamB says:
Give them time to release the Final DLC....I think you will be pleasantly surprised on how they handle the ending. The ending everyone's so upset about is not the ending at all....it is a prelude to the true ending. The prelude ending symbolizes Shepard's struggle against HARBINGER'S indoctrination mind control.......if you choose the RED(destroy) option, you are treated with a final cutscene of Shepard awakening from the rubble in London back on Earth. No one from HAMMER team ever physically made it to the Citadel through the beam.....HARBINGER destroyed them all, except Shepard. ME3's ending is nothing more than a sequence happening inside Shepard's mind in which the Reaper HARBINGER is attempting to break his hope and willpower. Shepard never got up from the blast and onto to the Citadel....hence, the slo-motion dream state which occurred throughout the entire game. But it is still pretty low of them (EA and BIOWARE) to leave us with such a cliffhanger, to supposedly be concluded with DLC(which I'm hoping will be free!)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 9:07:44 AM PDT
*Fingers crossed and hoping AdamB is right.*

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 12:19:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2012 12:21:17 AM PDT
jrk says:
Katie, very ood review -- right on target.
What's with the spoiler on the current content AdamB?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 7:42:21 AM PDT
Dark Badger says:
"... which I'm hoping will be free!"

Yeah, I wouldn't bet money on that. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 9:03:49 AM PDT
Shanghaied says:
AdamB:

You need to provide a spoiler warning when you post info regarding the indoctrination theory.

Also, Katie, I just want to say that I agree with your review. It felt like you were frustrated that what was a great game was horribly marred by an unsatisfying ending. So far this is exactly my impression, and I can't help but feel like there are signs that this may be... addressed with DLC in some way.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 7:21:13 PM PDT
Edward Green says:
Wow , I have to competely disagree with you. This is the best video game I have ever played and the ending was great! I guess you were expecting an masse effect 4 or 5 or 132 I dont know. Shepard was the great redeamer, he or she was "the shepard" she was the only one who could stop the reapers and she had to die to do it. All the Mass relays had to go also because the galaxy had to start anew, I loved it where the father was talking to his son and telling him all about the shepard and that some day they would head back to the stars and hopefully not make the same mistake again

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 12:26:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 4, 2012 12:27:14 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.9 out of 5 stars (631 customer reviews)

$19.99 $13.79