4.0 out of 5 stars Wii Controls NOT Nearly As Bad, July 31, 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mortal Kombat Armageddon (Video Game)
I am a "returning" gamer (haven't really played since SNES and a brief 3DO ownership in the early 90's), having been romanced by the Wii into coming back. I am 26 years old, married, all that jazz.

Anyhow, I used to play Mortal Kombat II as a kid and, to me, ONCE YOU'VE DONE TRAINING MODE for a while, the Wii controls work great. They work consistently for me, BUT I have significantly modified some of the suggested moves. For example, the "U" shaped moves I perform in the sort of way you would a "hit" in Rayman, when you're playing a music game: like hitting a drum with a drumstick, except I either do a little roll to the left or right at the end depending on what move I want.

Coordinating the B button is not that hard, come on. Go into training and do the moves repetitively until it happens every time. Was a little long for me, but I remained humble, had some faith in the developers and sure enough I found movements that worked for me.

The back-forth or forward-back motion requires you hold and move the remote on a fairly flat plane. My wife pointed out when I was not performing it correctly, my motions were "warping" to one side or another, or I was holding the remote oddly. A nice flat back-forth works great, every time.

Just like other reviewers say, sometimes it doesn't work. But I honestly think this is just "in the heat of battle" excitement making you a little sloppy with what are physical motions.

Honestly, the only thing I really DON'T like about this game is the "rubber doll" feel to the characters. Sometimes I feel like I am playing with Barbie and Ken just like I did when I was a kid by making them fight. They seem to have this sort of glazed over sheen over much of their personality and it feels a little plasticy. But boy are they vicious.

Anyhow, a solid four-star game all around. Worth the purchase price, or at very least the price of a used copy.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]