5.0 out of 5 stars For the shy nudist, April 30, 2012
This review is from: Soffe Men's Running Short (Apparel)
Let's put this out in the open first, since many of the negative reviewers are getting their shorts in a bunch over it-- the Soffe men's running shorts are short. Very short. Even their product description on Amazon says as much: "This running short is cut to a small 2.25 inches inseam for the seious runner looking for a true training fundamental." (In case you're wondering, a "seious runner" is a runner who likes to be seen, and so, one who is not afraid to show the lower ridges of his cheeks even if there's some shrubbery growing on them. And a "true training fundamental" is a fundamental who's engaged in a program to train him to handle the truth; I'm not sure why the seious runner is looking for such a fundamental.) If your decorum prevents you from tawdry displays, your time is better spent not purchasing these shorts instead of buying a pair and then complaining about it, though I am not one to slam the cathartic powers of self-righteousness.

I bought two pairs of these shorts about ten months ago, and I've used them for running on & off since then. They are so thin and light it's easy to forget they're actually on. In fact, much to my surprise, I seem to have them on right now. They're great for writing reviews, but they're even better for running. I have used my Soffes in two running capacities. On scorching summer days, I wear them on their own. And on moderate-to-cold days, I wear them over compression shorts (which challenge my modesty on a more frontal end). That's right! These Soffes shield AND flaunt! If that's not versatility, I don't know what is.

The nylon fabric is gauzy and silky, not quite moisture-wicking, but quick to dry nevertheless. After weekly runs in the washer and dryer, the fabric is starting to pill in places; however, given how thin it is, I expected there to be gaping holes in the nylon by now. The fabric's integrity remains strong, even if mine degenerates in such wear.

There have been complaints about the absence of drawstrings; for me, that's a plus, since elastics have always been plenty strong to keep shorts up. Drawstrings end up dangling and bouncing, and I don't want any dangling and bouncing in the groin area while I run. The waistband elastic remains as strong and comfy as the day I bought the shorts. By the way, my waist size is usually 34, and the Soffe medium shorts fit just right.

There's a key pouch tucked under the front elastic, just big enough for a single key (unless your front door requires a skeleton key, in which case you should first change your locks and then start running). Don't count on stuffing your smartphone or a baby kangaroo in the pouch, let alone keys on keychains. The pouch is minimal. There may be room for a key and a quarter, in case you run too far, buoyed by this feeling of unbearable lightness, and you need to call a cab home. Tip re key: if you place your key tip downward in the wee pouch, it's likely that the up/down tapping will tear an opening in the fabric, as one reviewer experienced. Instead, place the key bow-side (i.e. handle-side) down.

Now go, run, show the world your hidden talents.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 23, 2012 9:24:54 AM PDT
cyberwar says:
Thanks for the detailed description. I have been wearing basketball shorts while bike riding and I don't like bicycle shorts. I wanted a shorter pair of shorts but I don't think I want them THAT short.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 5:58:24 PM PDT
Old Qwfwq says:
Glad you found the review useful, cyberwar. I have also a pair of running shorts from City Sports for $25 that I would highly recommend--longer than these, but they don't drag like basketball shorts. They don't seem to be on Amazon. But if you go to the City Sports website and search for running shorts (or better yet, if there's a brick & mortar CS near you) I'm sure you'll find them.

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 1:36:43 PM PDT
Greg K says:
funny review.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2013 3:01:16 PM PDT
:) Thanks Greg!

Posted on May 15, 2013 11:45:21 AM PDT
Daniel Treto says:
Great review! I am buying these because I am doing an 80's run and you can't be 80's if you wear medium to long shorts...I am probably going to have to find some decent underwear though...

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2013 1:35:33 PM PDT
Old Qwfwq says:
Thanks Daniel! Yes, the right underwear is crucial--anything boxer or boxer brief is going to show. Now if only I had my 80s stamina to go with an 80s run...

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 7:57:04 AM PDT
Michael says:
Best review for a product I've read in a long time. It's not often you read commentary that's insightful and witty. Thank you!

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 8:41:07 PM PDT
Thanks for taking the time to write your review - it's factual and funny! And, between your post and the first guy's...everything's covered and I KNOW that I will enjoy these shorts. Happy running to all!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2013 3:13:21 PM PDT
Old Qwfwq says:
Thanks for the kind words, Michael! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2013 3:15:38 PM PDT
Old Qwfwq says:
Thanks Texas RunJunkEe! I just returned from a run in very hot weather, and I love these shorts still. Happy running to you!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›