5.0 out of 5 stars FREE HD TV Reception! What could be better?, June 28, 2010
This review is from: RCA ANT751 Durable Compact Outdoor Antenna (Electronics)
My wife and I were with Comcast for 10 years and they recently decided to make some major changes (triple the cost or only 20-30 channels almost ALL of which are local or shopping). Minor changes did take place during the time we were with them such as Price and Services (I would go into details but I would rather not bore you). We had always decided that Comcast was pretty much the only other option then Direct TV and such.

Amazingly we noticed (because Comcast wanted to make these recent major changes) that we didn't really watch that much TV, and when we did, it was the Local Stations that we were mostly watching. We then decided to cut Comcast completely out of the picture (no pun intended), and we started to shop for an antenna. Needless to say, we found this one. Reading the reviews on both Amazon and one other web-site (apparently I can't say which web-site that is, because "Amazon's" people will end up deleting it from this review "[...]") I was very excited to test this out, especially where Wal-Mart was selling this exact one for $30 more than what Amazon was selling it for at the time I purchased it.

The installation of this antenna was simple. It is very light and perfect to work with, just make sure that you have coax cable to go with it. The HD Quality is unbelievable. There are some stations that we receive in HD that we are now getting better reception with then what Comcast was providing at the time we had them. With this antenna, we get between 24 to 30 English stations and roughly 10 to 15 Spanish stations (I would only assume it is different in each State/County).

I viewed some of the reviews on Wal-Mart's web-site on this antenna and noticed that one reviewer had pictures where he placed this antenna in their attic. I recently finished our basement and did not want to drill more holes. I have my main connection to our Cable/TV runing next to my breaker box in our Cold Room (food Storage), and I placed the Antenna in their, a simple connection. I installed the antenna on the Ceiling of the room. I live in Utah County and we have Mountains that can easily block the signal. The closest tower for reception where I live is about 50 miles, it is also beyond the corner of one of the Mountains. Even with that and being in our basement the picture is great!

This Antenna is a must have!!! Very Simple to put together, very light and you really can stick it anywhere. I figured by putting it indoors, it will not get weather damage and should last us a very long time. Hurray for FREE TV! Also note that I do not have an Amplifier with this as other reviews do have and still getting great reception. It does make me curious though if I would get more channels or even better reception on those channels that don't have a 100% reception on.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 21, 2012 3:22:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2012 3:23:41 PM PST
N. Sommers says:
Where in Utah County? I live in Provo near Timpview High School and am considering this attenna but I'm a little skeptical about picking up good reception and getting many channels. What channels do you get and out of those how many would you say come in at least the same quality as when you had Comcast? Thanks in advance!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 1:18:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 29, 2012 7:38:11 AM PST
D. Wheeler says:
We are in Southern Orem (Closer to the Deseret Industries). We just had our Neighbors buy one a few weeks ago off Amazon and they also had "Xfinity" aka Comcast and just shut them off. It works perfect for them. They also ended up purchasing a signal booster and it has enhanced the signal quite a bit. As far as the channels are concerned you get all the 4 major Locals, Channel 5 you get two more and channel 11 you also get 2 more same things with channel 7. We get between 35 and 40 channels but some are Spanish, so in English about 25 to 30 (I just confirmed this on the TV). Quality...hands down better even without the signal booster! Hope that helps!

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 12:40:27 PM PDT
Crochet Hook says:
I see HD here but what about digital. If my TV is digital, do I still need the converter box or just this antenna. Obviously, I am not at all technical. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 11:37:16 AM PDT
D. Wheeler says:
@ Crocket Hook - Technically if your TV is HD then it should already convert digital programs so all you would need to have is the Antenna. If you are unsure about it with the kind of TV you have, I would invite you to contact your TV Manufacture to confirm this. Hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 2:43:24 PM PDT
Crochet Hook says:
Thank you so much for answering. Yes, my TV is an HD. That helps a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 6:43:54 PM PDT
JQ@Chicago says:
Hi D. Wheeler:

Is this antenna able to feed more than one TV?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 9:21:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2012 11:12:01 AM PDT
D. Wheeler says:
@ J. Quiroga - Yes, it feeds more than one TV - You just need to purchase a Cable Splitter, you can find them on Amazon but also I found some at monoprice.com. Sorry for the delay in replying. Here is an example on Amazon: RCA DH24SPF Two Way 3 Ghz Bi-Di Splitter - Note, you can also buy a 3 way splitter or 4 way splitter, depending on how many TV's you own.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 5:31:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 5:56:05 PM PST
rwizard says:
J. Quiroga,

Be aware that if you use a splitter, you will introduce a meaningful reduction in signal strength (about 3.5 db for a 2 way splitter, about 7 db for a 4 way). In areas with marginal signal, this can be a problem. One solution is to place a high quality signal amplifier as close to the antenna as possible (ahead of the splitter). Do not scrimp on this item. A low quality amplifier is worse than no amplifier. Note that placing an amplifier at the set end of the antenna cable, especially after the splitter, will mean that you are amplifying an already degraded signal, and your results will almost certainly be unsatisfactory. Cable loss is also important. For RG-6 you can figure roughly 3 to 6 db loss per 100 feet (depending on the channel you are watching) and for RG-59 the loss goes up to roughly 4 to 9 db per 100 feet. Combine that with splitter loss, and you can easily bury your signal in the dirt. So use good quality RG6 cable, and keep the cable run no longer than needed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2013 12:13:48 PM PST
Steve Bacon says:
just disconnect the comcast cable going to the pole and hook in here this will tie all your connected tv`s in.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2013 6:15:52 PM PDT
I was going to do that, but am still buying internet service from Comcast. Can the antenna signal and the comcast broadband internet signal share the same cable?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (2,320 customer reviews)
 (1,701)