5.0 out of 5 stars I Like This Camera More Every Day After Loving It From Day One., September 25, 2010
This review is from: Canon EOS 60D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens (Camera)
This review isn't a listing of all the features of this camera. You've just scrolled past those. But it's my impression of the ones that make the most difference and to compare it with my prior experiences. Anyone who knows Canon will know it's better than the T2i and not as good as the 7D which is what the comparative reviews are saying.

This is my 1st XXD series camera so many of my comments are going to be based on my past experiences with the Canon Powershot S series (Of which this camera is a love child) and my experiences with my 3 Rebels (XTi, XSi, and T1i which I always carry). This product will not be purchase verified or whatever that is called because I have WAITED for Amazon.com to sell this kit but my local retailer came out with it first.

Why does it take this many years to get a camera with an articulated LCD? Nikon offered this a year or so ago on the entry level Nikon d5000 DSLR much the same way Nikon had to force Canon to give Canon users Image Stabilization on the entry level lenses only after Nikon started to offer it's VR system on it's entry level lenses. CANON! STOP LETTING NIKON DICTATE YOUR CAMERA DEVELOPMENT! DO IT FOR US! Like us! Please? Just a little?? The variangle LCD was the strength of the Canon point and shoots, particularly of the Canon PowerShot S series, whose users will possibly be this camera's biggest fans. The best thing about this window is that you can protect the screen from scratches and although Canon claims it will help you get shots from other angels and enhance the live view, it's still slightly more awkward to use than on the Powershot series because you could one zoom one handed with the switch, instead to having to manually twist the lens.

The electronic levels is REALLY great and though images can be straightened in post processing, it helps to have the level. Again, this will make a little more sense of the softball shaped rebels which are harder to FEEL level, this larger 60D almost feels self leveling with its nice size and great grip. I never minded the grip on the Rebels but now that I see the difference I'm slightly less satisfied with those and feel this is far superior. But all the XXD series have this.

This camera is also surprisingly light compared to the 50D which means its also surprisingly plastic. I don't mind plastic. I don't want to carry around a bunch of have metal framed cameras for the one time I need it to defelct a bullet. If I am finally getting shot at for taking photos someplace I'm not supposed to be, maybe it's my time. I like the weight and feel of this.

In camera processing has already been mocked by my friends and as much as I like it, it seems like a silly thing to put on the XXD series. It will seem less so on the Canon T3i, as will the variangle window. Maybe one day I will be processing all my photos in camera, why, I have no idea, but why not just give us that software on a disk? Maybe they have. I haven't checked the disk yet. If they have? Awesome. If not, Canon why do you still hate us so?? For that matter, why can't Canon put some cool Hipstamatic-like software in there? It works on a damned phone and costs 99 cents.

It has a 49 shot buffer which I am BARELY able to big down even at the highest burst mode settings. NICELY DONE, Canon.

The battery life is spectacular and this kit lens, the Canon 18-135 1:3.5-5.6 IS is a REALLY, REALLY great lens which is going to be vilified because it's the kit lens. I also really liked the 18-55 IS. (KIT SNOBS!) As anyone who has tried to replace the 18mm wide end of the range with a different lens, you will have seen that it isn't cheap, Ringo. Do not let kit lens snobs, or Canon, ruin your love for this lens. It's that same cheap plasticy built as the old kits and the 55-250 (another great lens). You can read the reviews for this lens on its own page and you can see how highly it is rated by other users if not by people who do nothing but photograph grids all day. This lens does not have a zoom lock but neither did that monstrous Canon 28-135 which slides open as soon as it falls below horizonal, but the 18-135 stays put.

The XXD series has the faster shutterspeed of 1/8000 which will allow me to use the Canon 50 1.8 outdoors without a ND filter (which works but makes it harder to see out the viewfinder) OR if you accidentally leave it in the nearly noise free iso1600 you can now still get great shots. Same as the 50D but stilla step up from the Rebel's 1/4000 limit.

I can't speak for the video because I have barely used it on my T1i or on this camera. I'm sure it may be great but I don't use it. I found myself having the same difficult as using the variangle window, in that it takes the other hand to zoom and that shakes the camera and although Canon seemed to indicate someplace that it was for 'moving stills' or something like that, I'd have gladly passed up this feature for a couple hundred bucks off. Isn't a FLIP HD camera like a hundred bucks or something?

So to sum it up, if my biggest complaint with this camera is that Canon has made us wait for some really great features then they have done a great job. The price point is fair.

I will update this review with edits the second I find fault with this camera under this line but as yet, have not found any.

Update: No complaints but I do have additional praise. This Canon has 2 burst mode settings a high and a low. ESSENTIAL when shooting people and very nice to have it adjustable.

The Live View has a greatly improved autofocus now which makes shooting from the hip with the very large variangle window REALLY great. I appreciate it more already then when I mentioned it at the beginning of this review.

This camera is also an ergonomic dream, the buttons feel great. I have small hands and have always resisted the XXD series thinking It would be a nuisance to hold it and operate the buttons. Canon really did a great job with this design. The buttons are well places and DEEP so you KNOW you are pressing them, not just tapping a little nub. I'm increasingly pleased every time I use this camera.

I took this camera to New York this weekend. At over 1800 (no flash) shots the battery still held 62% of it's charge. FAR in excess of Canon's reported specs. You will have a hard time draining this battery in 2 days of shooting.

If I had not already bought this camera, I would have bought it again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 13, 2010 8:05:27 AM PDT
Thank you for your review. I find it much more helpful than the Olympus fan boy, who doesn't own the camera, giving it 2 stars because he feels that Olympus is awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 4:43:51 AM PDT
Ditto thanks for the review I can't wait to upgrade from my T2i though I will probably keep the T2i it's a great camera.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2010 11:54:05 AM PDT
I took over 600 pictures over the weekend and boy, the picture quality is simply amazing. Out of 600 pictures, only 20 came out blurry or underexposed/overexposed. It was probably my hand was a bit shaky. And get this, all the shots were on P mode! When I downloaded the pictures to Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and performed an auto image fix... there was hardly any changes on all the pics. The saturation, colors, and exposure were just perfect.. no need to adjust them.. and they were all JPEG files.

I really wanted to get the Nikon D7000 but it came out later than the 60D, however, the image quality of the 60D is just fantastic. I bet the D7000 has the same image quality. Nikon or Canon.. you just can't go wrong. This is yet the best DSLR I have owned to date (I had the Nikon D40, which also delivers excellent pictures, the Canon XS, XSI, and T11). I am a fanboy of any DSLR that produces excellent image quality regardless of the brand. Yes, the camera is just a tool, it is really up to the photographer to take good pctures but sometimes the Tool makes it easier for the photographer :-)

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 6:05:39 AM PST
Jeff why is it you keep haunting me lol or maybe its me to you :) I love the review and makes me want this camera even more <3
‹ Previous 1 Next ›