3.0 out of 5 stars I really want to love The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook but..., April 15, 2006
This review is from: The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old-Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery (Hardcover)
I consider myself to be an avid and skilled baker/cook. I have been baking and cooking successfully for well over 22 years. I got this book and MORE FROM MAGNOLIA as gifts from a friend who is a big fan of the cupcakes at the Magnolia Bakery in New York. I was very careful to follow the recipes exactly and I most certainly am not a beginner. The first recipe I tried was Magnolia's Vanilla Cupcakes. The cupcakes turned out okay; a bit on the dry side and I would have used maybe a bit more vanilla. I tried two more recipes (Devil's Food Cupcakes and Chocolate Buttermilk Layer Cake) just to give the books the benefit of the doubt. I used only the freshest, highest quality ingredients and I was extra conscientious when following the recipes and the results were still mediocre. The cupcakes were dry and the layer cake was bland. Old-fashioned is a quality I like in my baking but dry and bland are qualities no one likes. I have heard so much praise about the goods at the Magnolia Bakery that it leads me to wonder if the recipes in the cookbooks have been adjusted to turn out inferior results. The book itself is easy to follow, well-written, and laid out neatly. The lack of so many pictures did not bother me at all and the pictures they did include were beautiful and attractive. But the recipes are what matters the most in any cookbook. The results have been consistently just okay. I really expected a lot but I'm sorry to say I'm disappointed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 18, 2010 6:30:35 PM PST
J. R. Pulley says:
I made the Devil's Food cupcakes from one of the other magnolia cookbooks and mine were dry too! I thought I did something wrong, but this is the third review on the devil's food or chocolate cupcakes from these cookbooks that say they're dry. I tried the vanilla cupcakes and they were alright, but not impressive either. Some of the other baked good I've tried were good, but I'm with you in that the cupcakes could've been better.

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 8:40:42 AM PST
J. L. Busch says:
The bakery is amazing if you've never been, but the cupcakes are dry from there too!! The icing is amazing, but the cupcakes leave a lot to be desired.

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 6:45:00 PM PST
P. Minton says:
Good to see I'm not the only one! I made a vanilla lemon bundt cake, which I'm not sure if it's in the book, but I found it online. It turned out very dry and 'spongy', and as cupcakes the recipe was even worse. I've also been baking and cooking for a long time. I've been decorating cakes for ten years professionally and in the last five years baking from scratch and selling from my home with rave reviews. I know I couldn't have messed up the recipe so much that I caused it to be so dry. Like O.P., I followed directions to a 'T', making sure to sift properly, not overmix, cream butter and sugar for the right amount of time, measure properly, etc.

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 8:48:01 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 8, 2011 8:52:06 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 3:22:39 AM PST
I consider myself to be an advanced baker as well,I made the vanilla 3 layer cake last night and was very disappointed. the recipe called for cake flour and all purpose flour, but no baking powder or soda. My fear of flat cakes came true. Very disappointed.

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 9:47:00 AM PST
C. Mead says:
You aren't alone. I am an experienced baker as well and I just made the vanilla cupcakes from this book and was surprised they were so dry and heavy. I'll make one more item from this book before it gets donated to the used book store.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›