Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT vacuum!!, February 9, 2011
This review is from: Dyson DC33 Multi-Floor Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)
I did a lot of research before I bought this Dyson and almost got the DC28 Animal one because I have a large dog that sheds. After doing some reading online, I found out this is the exact same machine as the animal except for the attachments! That's the only difference! So I decided for $200 less than the Animal one I could do without the "special" attachments. The very first time I pulled this out of the box and used it in my living room I wasn't all that impressed, especially with the suction but I decided to go over my floor again and practice with the attachments. Well, it must have just needed to warm up or something being brand new because the second time the suction was amazing!! (and ever since!) It left the lines on the carpet from where I had vacuumed (I love that!) and it also fluffed up the carpet and made it feel like when we first bought the carpet and our feet sank down in it a bit!! Very cool!! And the best part - it picked up the dog hair!!!!! With my old vacuum I would still get dog hair on my clothes even after vacuuming but I tested my Dyson: After vacuuming with it the first day I had my toddler drag a clean black shirt all over the carpet - and guess what? - not a single dog hair was on it!! Every time I've used it since the suction has been amazing!

Below I wanted to address some of the negatives I have read in reviews about it. I was glad I ignored them and bought this anyway! :)

- I was impressed with the suction from the side of it. With the front you can't get right up to the baseboards but if you can run the side of the vacuum against it, it works good (or just use the wand). On another note about the front - no it won't get under furniture or the edge of things. The high profile of the front of the vacuum prevents that but that was ok with me. With this kind of strong suction I wouldn't want to be vacuuming where I can't see what it might grab anyway! And you can tell by looking at the picture that it won't do this before you buy.. not sure why some people are surprised by this.

- THE WAND: this did take some practice but I like it fine. Some have said the vacuum tips over when you are trying to use it but I haven't had that happen at all. In fact, when I've been using the wand on the baseboards and walk and pull, the vacuum has actually rolled along behind me like a canister vacuum would do following me! Just make sure the back of the vacuum where the wand was is facing you so it can roll along with you while you walk. I also read several reviews saying the wand will suck your shirt sleeve in (because the wand is the handle and the suction switches to the wand when the vacuum is in the upright position.) But I have a very simple fix for this - TURN THE VACUUM OFF BEFORE putting it to the upright position. Not sure why you would need or want it on while getting the wand or attachments out and ready anyway. Just turn it off before switching. (and the same when starting to vacuum - recline it first, THEN turn it on.) One more thing on the wand - I will say that it would be easier if the long end piece was flexible or if the hard section wasn't so long. It is a bit awkward at first figuring out the best way to use it. I found that if you just back up a bit from what you are trying to vacuum it gives room for you to manuever the long wand. Just don't get so close and it's no big deal. I will say it IS nice though to have a long hard section wand to get cobwebs on high cielings.

- Unlike what some have said, this vacuum is NOT heavy! They must have been comparing it with a swiffer mop or something because as far as regular vacuums go I was very happy with the weight! (go to a store and pick them up to compare.) It's actually much lighter than most I tried out in the stores. It is easy to push even on my thick carpet! It's not bulky either and I find it very manuevarable. In fact I tried out the 'ball' dyson in the store and didn't think it was any more manueverable than the regular one. I also didn't like the release on the ball one (that reclines it to vacuum than clicks it to upright.) I had to use such force to push on the foot lever to get it to recline that I could see it breaking after awhile. Not sure if that was just an issue with the floor model or what but I'm very glad I didn't get the ball type. (the canister is smaller on those too!)

- THE CANISTER: is VERY easy to dump. My old bagless vacuum you had to take the top off the canister and actually dig out the junk. This one has a very handy release on it: You take the canister off the vacuum (with one hand at the click of a button!), and while holding it down in the trash can, you push the button that opens the BOTTOM of the canister letting all the junk fall out the bottom down into the trash. Now you do have to use your fingers to then close the bottom up, but come on - two fingers with a little dust is much better than most! And it's easy enough to just wash my hands afterwards.

- NOISE LEVEL: It's pretty quiet as far as vacuums go. My young kids used to be afraid of my vacuum and would run for cover every time I got it out. The first time I used this one they not only came out in shock that it wasn't some monster going to eat them but they actually skipped across in front of it playing while I vacuumed!

- BARE FLOOR TO CARPET LEVER: Some have said this is a hard thing to do... that confuses me because it is just a wheel like switch on the front of the vacuum that you just turn to 'bare floor' or 'carpet'. Ok, so you do have to bend down... is that a problem? .. I don't think so. (sorry for the sarcasm. lol)

OK, so after all the good now I will share the short bad. The ONLY problem I have had with this at all:
It tends to leave a clump of dog hair at the last place it was standing when I'm done and turn it off. I realized though this was probably because I was turning it off so fast when I was done that the last thing it picked up hadn't made it up into the canister yet. I solved this problem by letting it run for a few seconds in the same position when I was done before turning it off. That lets all the last stuff it picks up get up into the canister so when I turn it off there's no clump left. It was a simple fix I just remember to do each time when I'm finished. I'm happy to do that little thing for the benefit of all that dog hair being gone! :)

So overall I am VERY pleased with this vacuum and highly recommend it - especially if you have pets.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2011 9:40:30 AM PST
I believe the other difference between the DC33 and the DC28 is the DC28 has the Airmuscle™ technology which forces the brush head into your carpet.

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 2:00:40 PM PDT
Jaw says:
Day before yesterday, i looked at both models side by side at Bed Bath and Beyond. The DC28 Animal had 30 foot cord, the DC33 had a 35 foot cord!!! To me, this is a big important thing. They were not identical machines. The wand extension was also longer on the DC33. This info was on the little cards listing the features in front of the display models. But they are probably the same as far as the motor and canister and other things. I don't remember what else was different, but visibly there were differences in the design.

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 5:16:47 PM PDT
Jaw says:
Jennifer--i'm still researching and deciding which model to get, but am highly likely to get this one. I want to ask, when you said it's the same machine as the DC28 except for the attachments, i'm wondering if it has those buttons on the top for different carpet heights that the DC28 has. I don't remember seeing them when i saw this in the store, but am not sure. If it doesn't have those buttons, why is it called 'All Floors?'

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 9:58:31 PM PDT
G. Salmon says:

Posted on May 28, 2011 10:12:23 PM PDT
G. Salmon says:
Just bought a DC 33. Being a numbnuts of sorts with all things mechanical, took me longer to put the dam thing together than most folks. "Click", "click", "ckick" didn't quite clack with me. I know, they mean well, It be all on me. Anywho, oncst I clicked it all together, welll.......it was a pleasure of sorts.

First.............the outright suctiion power of this puppy made me scream. Second..........................it took some 20 minutes + of experimentation to get a good feel of how to use the WAND. At first I thought the wand might not be that practical. Once I slowed down and actually attached it and went searching for crevices, I realized that it will do about whatever I need done.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 4:43:20 AM PST
M. Neeley says:
Jennifer, I have to ask your opinion now that you have had the DC33 almost a year. Is it still performing as you expected? Has anything broke yet? Are there any other pros and cons that you have noticed since buying it last February?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 12:32:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2012 12:34:17 PM PST
Jennifer Fox says:
Jaw - sorry I'm just now resonding, so I'm sure you figured this out, but yes it has those same buttons for the floor adjustment. I use this on my carpets and laminate floors.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 12:44:53 PM PST
Jennifer Fox says:
M. Neeley - I just read through the review I wrote a year ago and it is all still accurate! I am still very pleased with this vacuum! In fact, the only thing in my review I would change is to update the 1 negative I had said about it leaving a clump on the floor when I finished. It only did that those first couple days.. not sure why, I guess again it just needed to warm up to get going. It has NEVER done that again! :) Nothing has broken on it, the suction is still just as powerful. I am very glad I got this and it has been worth the money so far!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 2:54:07 PM PDT
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review, Jennifer. It really helped me make my decision to get this model!

Posted on May 29, 2015 4:32:39 AM PDT
wallydad says:
Jennifer: Saw your review from 2011 so now a few years later do you still like the dc33? I have one of very early models, not sure which one, estimate about 15 years old - it's bulkier and heavier than the dc33 and now needs replacing. The attaching piece on the handle broke so handle falls off now and the beater bar quit working, but the vacuum itself still works fine - if can somehow fix handle would use it in garage w/o beater bar. And yes, you are right, the wand/hose is designed differently. And even though the entire vac would not fit under cupboards and furniture, I used the wand/hose all the time. Up until the Dyson I had never kept the corners, woodwork, under cupboard area so clean - loved the hose/wand attachment because I never had to fool around taking off hoses and reattaching them to wands and accessories - the dyson so easy to use. Now that I need a new vac this is the one feature I demand and not many vacs are made this way. I am debating between the dc33 and/or a Shark at just about the same price. The Shark Pro Lift Away has a hose/wand handle similar to the dyson and about the same price at Walmart, about 30.00 less. I don't know which way to go. I also have to agree with you on all the "Ball" vacuums. Unless they have been redesigned I do not want to purchase a ball vac - we also had a dyson animal ball vac some years ago and when trying to keep it upright it would click into place - well, it got to be a challange getting it to click - we had it worked on a couple of times but it just wouldn't stay upright - the beater bar quit in that one too but much, much sooner - that vac didn't last but a couple of years. The one other I want in a vacuum is the fact that the big dyson did not scatter dirt when using the beater brush on hard floors - not many vacs do that, too. I never turned the beater bar off the dyson. i have all hard floors, the kitchen being tile with grout that is set a little lower than the tile and using the beater bar cleans the grout better than just using the bare floor setting. I just went to a very high-end vac shop testing their imported, thousand dollar vacs and the salesman did not believe me when i told him the dyson does not scatter debris on hard floors when using the beater bar. So, these two functions are very important to me, the non-scatter/beater bar function and the wand/hose set up. Not sure which way to go: The DC33 or the Shark. After these few years how do you still like your Dyson 33?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›