4.0 out of 5 stars Great iPod, great upgrade, but you might not want to throw away you 5th Gen Ipod yet..., November 9, 2009
This review is from: Apple iPod classic 160 GB Black (7th Generation) (Electronics)
This is the second iPod I own. The first one was a 30 Mb 5th Generation Ipod Video.

First, the plus.

There are many improvements in the 7th generation comparing it to the 5th, although I think most of them were introduced with the 6th Gen. The whole Cover Flow/Genius capabilities are definetly an improvement to the previous software. The games are a nice bonus. I've only had it for three days, but I can already see that I like the new interface a lot more.

And the disk space, I mean, WOW! The ipod is basically the same size as my 30 Gb one, but it's capacity is over 5 times bigger. I am an avid music fan, have tons of music, and my musical taste ranges from ambient to heavy metal, but I think it's going to be a long time before I fill this one up. I think this is the best feature of this iPod, and by itself, the reason you should buy it.

There are also video capabilities, which have always been a plus, and some other stuff, but I didn't see a major difference from the previous versions.

But then, why did I give it 4 stars? I wanted 4.5 stars, but Amazon doesn't let me do that.

Here are the cons.

First, as previous reviewers have stated, the sound quality seems to have downgraded from the 5th Gen iPod. The sound lacks depth, the songs sound more flat. I don't mean to say that the sound is bad, because it still has a very good sound, and I've tested it with headphones, computer speakers and my car stereo. I'm just saying that the 5th Generation iPod sounds better, and the difference is quite noticeable.

The other thing, which might be just my iPod, because I didn't see other reviewers mentioning it, is that the click wheel seems to be less sensitive/responsive than the 5th Generation one. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is annoying sometimes that you try so select a song or an option on the menu and the wheel doesn't respond right away.

There's also the fact that using Cover Flow seems to make the iPod proccess slower, but then again, loading the covers of literally thousands of records is not a quick task, and you can always not use Cover Flow, so I won't hold this against the iPod.

To sum it all up. If you have a lot of music and want to carry it all with you; if 30, 60, 80 or 120 Gb is just not enough; if this is your first iPod purchase, or if you just really, really like the new interface and games (I know I did), then I highly reccomend it, and you won't be dissapointed. To me this is definetly the best music player on the market. You will need to sit down and learn how to use iTunes, but when you do, you're just going to love this little gadget.

However, if you have a 5th generation iPod that's working just fine, and you prefer sound quality to disk space, you might not want to buy this one. Just try to be more more picky with the songs you put on it, I guess.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 19, 2010 2:57:46 AM PDT
SB says:
waitaminute, I thought that the sound quality was dependent on the encoding format you use, not the player? In other words, if you are using the format that uses the largest amount of memory per song, you are going to get better quality. I find it hard to believe that the mechanism that produces the sound in the player is the issue...?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2010 7:01:12 PM PDT
The new ipod classics (beginning with the 6th generation) have a different audio chip than the 30/80 GB 5.5 generations and earlier, which result to the supposedly 'worse' sound quality.. For most people though, the difference isn't noticeable at all. However for some of us picky types, we even downgrade from the classics to the 5.5 generations-- sacrificing storage space, battery life, etc, simply for sound quality :)

It's true that the file format also contributes to sound quality. Just rip your music at 160 kbps aac or higher and you'd be experiencing cd-quality sound already :)

Posted on Apr 17, 2010 10:21:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2010 4:35:17 PM PDT
Have you tried the EQ? It made a world of difference for me. The Rock setting works best for me. The Pods do have a flat setting out of the box.

Posted on Apr 19, 2010 6:30:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2010 6:32:44 PM PDT
sprint says:
I confirm the observation re: the sound quality--absolutely true. The songs do sound flatter and maybe even slightly muffled compared to other ipods. I'll have to play around a little more with the EQ to see if that will help. With that being said, it's hard not to like this 160GB b/c I've now stored about 7 banker boxes worth of cd's and still haven't made it to the halfway mark of its capacity. A good backup for the music on my laptop and I don't have to figure out which ipod I have a certain song on anymore.

Posted on Jun 10, 2010 5:25:16 PM PDT
J. Glemby says:
thanks for listing the two things I noticed with my 7th gen as well{but feared a defect} 1-the click wheel is a bit unresponsive and 2-the flo art does seem to STALL the functions at times. the truth is simply knowing these are not defects but simple common habits they realy are no problem at all.This realy is a trully amazing device{ive loaded mine up with audiobooks and the speed playback feature is brilliant}.

Posted on Jun 10, 2010 8:21:05 PM PDT
Can someone out there answer a ? for me? When listing the specs on my 160 it reads 148.87 gb. I'm not talking about space available but the total capacity. Where's the other 11.13 gb? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2010 2:16:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2010 2:16:53 PM PDT
From Wikipedia:
Capacity measurements
A disassembled and labeled 1997 hard drive. All major components were placed on a mirror, which created the symmetrical reflections.

Raw unformatted capacity of a hard disk drive is usually quoted with SI prefixes (metric system prefixes), incrementing by powers of 1000; today that usually means gigabytes (GB) and terabytes (TB). This is conventional for data speeds and memory sizes which are not inherently manufactured in power of two sizes, as RAM and Flash memory are. Hard disks by contrast have no inherent binary size as capacity is determined by number of heads, tracks and sectors.

This can cause some confusion because some operating systems may report the formatted capacity of a hard drive using binary prefix units which increment by powers of 1024.

A one terabyte (1 TB) disk drive would be expected to hold around 1 trillion bytes (1,000,000,000,000) or 1000 GB; and indeed most 1 TB hard drives will contain slightly more than this number. However some operating system utilities would report this as around 931 GB or 953,674 MB. (The actual number for a formatted capacity will be somewhat smaller still, depending on the file system). Following are the several ways of reporting one Terabyte.
SI prefixes (hard drive) equivalent Binary prefixes (OS) equivalent
1 TB (Terabyte) 1 * 10004 B 0.9095 TB (Terabyte) 0.9095 * 10244 B
1000 GB (Gigabyte) 1000 * 10003 B 931.3 GB (Gigabyte) 931.3 * 10243 B

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 12:49:42 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
That is strange what you said about the sound quality. I find the sound quality on my 120 GB 6th gen model to be far superior than my 80 GB 5th gen. I listen to it all the time, and I find myself noticing new nuances in songs.

Posted on Aug 16, 2010 8:14:57 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2010 12:07:41 AM PDT
NJ BEACHBUM says:
Im sorry to bother anyone asking this but how do you burn music at the 160 kpps or higher 'bit rate?' when I am transferring my CD collection to my Itunes account or when I buy songs from Amazon/iTunes/Walmart etc? I have been very sick stuck inside fighting Ca. for 3 years unable to take the $100. 1 hour course at a Apple store that would teach me so many basics I need so badly to use the Macbook properly my Uncle bought me. I know there is so much info available on line and at the Apple forum sites but I have not been able to find any info on how to change the burn settings. I would be so appreciative of anyone that could tell me of how to change settings on a macbook when burning music. It is not the end of the world if I never learn how to do this but I love music with nothing but time to kill. I agree that changing the EQ settings on the Ipod depending on what you are playing can make a big difference in sound. I wonder how many people don't know how much that helps? Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (2,247 customer reviews)
 (1,585)