Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

5.0 out of 5 stars GOODBYE CANON!!!, January 1, 2013
This review is from: Pentax K-5 IIs 16.3 MP DSLR Body Only (Black) (Electronics)
I have owned several professional cameras, more recently the Hasselblad H2 with P30 back and the Canon 5DMKII. Hasselblad makes some of the best medium format cameras available. I wish I could say Canon makes some of the best 35mm cameras but hey... the millions they spend each year on marketing and sales promotions doesn't equal the quality of image their camera's can produce. I only bought the 5DII with 50mm 1.4 and 24mm TS-E II (allegedly some of Canon's "BEST GLASS") because other friends in the business prompted me to buy Canon. "It's great, you'll love it", they told me. They were wrong... DEAD wrong! I hated Canon after owning a medium format camera with a Phase One back. The Canon was lighter sure and much cheaper but I also learned why... it's designed and built to a much cheaper standard!

Canon and Nikon (Pre-Nikon 800 / 800E owners that is) don't think there's anything wrong with their cameras because quite simply they don't know any different. Harsh... not really, just the truth! Until you've owned the best you don't know what GOOD/BETTER/BEST is. I've heard so many "experts" and "semi-pro's" go on and on about Canon and Nikon and the proof is simply in the image quality and with Canon (all current models) and Nikon (except for the new 800/800E) quality simply isn't there.

Then comes along a new Pentax camera, offering a model with no Anti-Aliasing filter. Funny thing about that, medium format cameras... have no anti-aliasing filter... never have! That's why MF is so much more crisp and vibrant. It isn't just the extra sensor size and more megapixels (though believe me that makes a BIG difference). The AA filter accounts for a HUGE part of the final image quality. Nikon realized this and removed it from the 800E model and amazingly now.... Peter Lik is starting to shoot with an 800E... funny how people take notice of no AA filter.

Pentax hit a home-run with the K-5 IIs. This camera is my ultimate walk-around. Does it replace my MF film equipment for landscapes... no, but then, few cameras truly can (Hasselblads H4D60 maybe, but not many). What the IIs does is make things much harder on Canon and Nikon now because Pentax has mastered the art of squeezing every last ounce of dynamic range, sharpness and overall image quality out of this 16.1MP sensor. Just check out DXO... the lab results don't lie. This camera blows my old Canon 5DII TO THE WEEDS!!!!

Just wait until Pentax unleashes the K-3 (said to be a FF 24MP follow-up to the K-5 II/IIs release of this year). The K-3 is supposed to come in 2013 and I believe these two cameras combined will shake up the DSLR world in a way few cameras ever have!

If you want an AWESOME DSLR, buy the K-5IIs and don't look back. You'll be glad you did.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2013 2:55:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 2:57:40 AM PST
Amazonshoe says:
how would this compare to a 60D? I havent seen any Pentax deals. I ran across Canon 60D packages with EF-S 18-135mm IS Lens and EF 70-300mm IS Lens for about $1000. I had a cannon 30D a while back and somehow both of my lenses AF stopped working... Another thing I like about this K-5 IIs is the integrated image stabilizer in the camera so I can benefit from that feature while using a pancake lense. Which flash, if any, do you recommend? I have not used a Pentax yet, but I am hardcore about finding diamonds in the rough. I found Nikon warranties are better than canons, but I still don't know much about pentax warranties.

Also, I wonder how much the K-3 would be. I'm on a budget so hopefully the K-3 pricing is not out of question. If it's too expensive (comparable to Cannon MKIII / D800E prices), then there would be no point of waiting for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 8:37:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 8:46:24 AM PST
Joe says:
First Question: The Canon 60D. First you must understand Canon spends MILLIONS on advertising in the U.S., so does Nikon. Pentax has a strong following in Japan but they don't spend as much nor do they build as many models as their competitors. Canon has many models, like General Motors, and try to dominate the market by flooding it with as many cameras as possible. The 5D Mark II was a great competitor to many professional DSLR camera's until Pentax woke up and joined the race with the K-5 and now the K-5 II and IIs models.

Regardless of what Canon or Nikon camera you buy, unless you buy a camera without an anti-aliasing filter, your images will only be 'OK'. If you are shooting for print media or just to show off to friends, no worries... buy whatever camera you want but if you have an eye for detail and want images that are crisp, sharp and show good shadow detail, then you'll want to look closer at models with NO anti-aliasing filter. This filter blurs the image slightly to correct for moire patterns. The catch is, moire isn't always present so you're virtually tanking your image quality on every shot when you don't need to! Medium Format cameras don't use AA filters so their images are not only larger (more megapixels and larger photo-sites, but sharper as well).

It all depends on what your intended use is. Personally, I want the sharpest, cleanest images with the best color tone and that's why I bought the K-5 IIs and so far I haven't been disappointed. Personally, I feel the camera is underpriced for what you get compared to Canon or Nikon (with the exception of the Nikon 800E, which has no AA filter and is an excellent camera - see DXO lab results for the K-5 and the 800E).

As for the K-3, Pentax won't admit they're making it but I've seen pictures of it being tested and it looks slightly larger than the K-5 and I've heard it will be a 24MP ASP-C camera, though this doesn't make sense to me. To compete fully with Nikon and Canon, Pentax needs a FF-35mm DSLR, so to me, I'm hoping and praying they will understand this and build the K-3 as a FF, 24MP+ camera for under $2500. If they do that they should have no trouble competing with Canon and Nikon. The K-3 is rumored to be released late 2013 however the K-5 II and IIs were released fully 6 months after they were slated to be here so we'll see how aggressive Pentax is with the next model.

As for lenses, it's true Pentax is more limited in selection but don't forget, you have companies on the cheap like Tamron, Sigma and Rokinon that make lenses for the Pentax K mount. Then you have higher end lenses like Schneider and Zeiss which also make lenses that fit the Pentax K mount. Zeiss (for some stupid reason) has stopped manufacturing the ZK line of lenses for Pentax, yet I still see many (new and used ones) listed for sale on multiple websites including Ebay. A good Zeiss lens on the K-5 IIs should produce very high quality images that could blow away the competition of the 60D, 5DII, 5DIII, 1DMKIII, 1DMKIV, 1DX, Nikon D3200, D5100, D7000, D700, DX3... A high quality lens coupled with a high quality camera body like the K-5 IIs should find little competition in image quality outside of the Nikon 800/800E or a Medium Format camera.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 5:17:41 PM PST
Amazonshoe says:
I know what you mean by canon's overpriced lenses and pricing strategies that's why I'm considering sony and pentax. I don't know why Nikon and Canon fanboys don't support other manufacturers. I mean, in the end, competition will drive prices down and it will benefit all. I'm willing to take a stab at pentax, sony, or sigma just to help with that!

I'm considering the Sony A77, Nikon D7000, and seriously the K-5 IIs. I need something for low light with HDR potential. I know the D7000 probably performs better in low light but it does not have in-camera stabilization. It's been a pain making the decision between weighing the two options. I think the A77 is at the bottom of the three choices since it's battery life is horrendous and it has a plastic hotshoe!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 1:20:47 PM PST
Z. Wagner says:
Hi Joe. I've been through both Nikon and Canon systems, and currently am using the m43 system. However, as is well-documented, their continuous AF isn't really up to par (who am I kidding... it pretty much blows). I'm considering this camera, but was curious if you could say how the continuous AF holds up in real-world usage? I love the idea of no low-pass filter, especially as I am into macro, and any extra detail potential gets me all excited.

Thanks for the info if you get a chance.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 8:19:33 AM PST
Z. Wagner says:
Well I went ahead and bought the camera. I love it from a usability standpoint. It makes sense; far more than any Canon or especially Nikon (I've not liked the UI on my Nikon's at all). However now Nikon is dangling a huge carrot in competition for this camera in the form of the D7100. Same price, way more mp (24), crop mode (for essentially 2x factor @ 13.5mp), and guess what? No AA filter.
It was a bit hard to swallow when I read about the Nikon, but I think I'm sticking with Pentax from a sheer usability standpoint. However, I think everyone who is considering a cam in this range needs to think about the D7100, as it sounds bad ass. Nikon doesn't appear to be messing around any more.
I hope Pentax decides to bring some more heat to the game relatively soon. I'm personally happy with 16mp and don't see a need for more, but not everyone thinks like me, and the detail on a 24mp crop sensor camera with no AA filter has got to be bloody awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 9:27:30 AM PDT
TheGonz says:
I don't like Nikon due to lack of AF-ON button. This feature alone is enough to put me away from it.
K-5 with it's inexpensive WR lenses is a winner to me. Being able to shoot in the rain, snow, sand, etc. is great.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 10:09:59 AM PDT
Joe says:
I'm actually in the process of collecting some older Pentax, Fujinon and Zeiss lens which will work great with the K5/II/IIs model Pentax cameras.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 2:46:42 PM PDT
Z. Wagner says:
Let me just say that I now KNOW I've made the right decision. I LOVE my K-5 IIs. It's hands down the best camera I've ever used, and I've used a LOT. Absolutely, 100% satisfied with my decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 3:48:33 PM PDT
Joe says:
Check out DXO for tested statistics on the K5 and K5IIs models: it beat both the Canon 5DMarkII and 5DMarkIII in image quality!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 4:00:33 PM PDT
Z. Wagner says:
Absolutely! One of the reasons I love it so much. It's like taking a one-shot HDR image. Take that, Canon!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›