5.0 out of 5 stars Needed a low-impact cardio machine..., November 8, 2009
This review is from: Schwinn 240 Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
After months of trying to decide if we should buy an exercise bike, we finally bit the bullet. We went right down to Dick's sporting goods and even though they didn't have one on display, they did have one int he back. We bought the Schwinn 240 due to it being one of the newest models. Some of the things we really liked better were minor, but made the difference to us. The number of different programs were higher than the other models. Being able to remember a user's information was also a huge positive from other models where every time a different user uses the equipment you have to reset all your information. The cup holder not being under the seat but on the console made more sense and having the basket to store magazines and things just seemed neater. It took about 1.5 hours to assemble. Hint: A couple of the parts were already on the bike which was confusing when comparing to the parts list. The model is nice looking, smaller than our elliptical and easy to move around with the wheels. I haven't had it long enough yet to know how it will hold up, but it's very sturdy, very quiet and seems like it will last for a long time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2010 5:35:53 PM PDT
concur with this evaluation. does take a while to assemble, but what a great machine. definitely worth the money, and would recommend it to anyone looking for in home exercise.

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 4:54:59 PM PDT
I saw this bike in DICKS's. I need real feed back on two items.
1. The seat seemed smaller and wobbly compared to Nordic track or Proform which have sturdier seat. is the seat comfortable and the wobbliness is a concern?
2. Also the seat adjustment is by a hand-screw which I thought was a big bothersome cumbersome maneuver, if two people are usually using the machine. on the other hand Proform /Nordic Track has a lever...
So, please comment on these two points please.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2011 7:16:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2011 7:17:42 AM PDT
Josh Doe says:
I have had this bike for about 1-1/2 months and it is awesome with the exception of the seat. The seat is very uncomfortable because the seat bottom is positioned too far away from the seat back which makes you sit on the back rim of the seat instead of the middle where it dips down which is where you are suppose to sit. The only way to sit in the middle of the seat(dip) is to slouch down which scoots your bottom forward. If you sit straight up, your bottom will not be in the middle of the seat, it will be on the back rim which is very uncomfortable. I give this bike 3 out of 5 fives stars because of the seat. If it had a more comfortable seat, I would give it 5 stars. The seat is a deal breaker for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2011 2:25:55 PM PDT
Thanks, I made my decision last week to go with Nordic track for exactly for the seat size and positioning system.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 7:56:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2013 6:36:28 PM PST
Bobby1st says:
Josh,

I compared this #240 with the Proform ZR3 because they have the same price at Dicks. The Proform has a MP3 attachment with speakers but it sounded like a baby toy. I'll go for the #240 only because of the seat. The #240 seat have an inch space between the seat and the backseat you dislike while the Proform have none. The Proform seat makes me pedal my legs apart and the seat a little harder and wider, good for those who meets the profile. Although we like to seat at 90 degree angle position, I believe it is not possible to maintain this position for a very long time. Our body tend to slide forward. For this reason the #240 have a seat ahead forward accommodate a little slouching, my humble opinion.
I go to gym 4 times a week, I used their Life Fitness recumbent bike for an hour at a time. It has the same seat format I like, however, I can't afford it, it goes to around three thousand plus. I have tried all different exercise machines at the gym
from treadmill, elliptical, up right bike and I find the recumbent as the most useful which I get the same results. Since only our feet moves, reading magazine to past the time is the most pleasing.

Arun:

Here's your answer, I checked carefully why the seat wobble, the seat is not tight fit to facilitate easy sliding adjustment. That what cause the wobbling, although the lock pin have a screw for tightening and minimize wobbling. The lock mechanism is a spring loaded pin type that can be left unscrew. It wobble a little bit but will not go anywhere. It default to a lock position. To adjust, the pin has to be pulled out and spring back if let got.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2011 10:17:32 AM PDT
I bought a Nordictrack and regret it. You will like it until it needs adjusting and then you will find out that only they will adjust it/repair it. Just to have them look at it will cost 136.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 12:56:26 PM PST
LaVida says:
Would this bike adjust enough to fit a 4'10" person?

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 8:14:21 AM PST
Vivaldi says:
How confusing. I'm watching this line b/c of many friends horrid experiences with the "N" brand - no warranty help, etc. when they 'died' or fell apart. I've yet to find anything as excellent as the Nu-Step, but trying hard. Thanks all for your input, though - I'm following.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 11:48:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2013 11:58:55 PM PST
Tonight marks exactly one year since I bought my Schwinn 240 recumbent bike (at Dick's Sporting Goods). I just finished a 40-minute ride and hit 4,769 miles! (I was shooting for 5,000 by today, but my 10-day Christmas trip set me back.)

This bike, along with consistent workouts at the gym, and some serious cutting back in the food department, has led to a loss of 75 lbs. over this past year...from 264 down to 189 or so. At 62, I have a completely new body!

The key to my success and my ability to put so many miles on this bike is that I made a rack to mount my laptop computer to the handlebars. I never ride without doing course prep, report writing, or a little game-playing with the computer right in front of me and the mouse on a TV tray next to me. It works just great!

I've been very happy with the bike, and brag about it a lot to my friends. I can give it only 4 of 5 stars, however. The biggest drawback is the seat adjustment method...a large pin under the side of the seat with a screw handle that you loosen and pull out a bit, while sliding the seat back or forward until you find the right hole. Then you release the screw into the hole and tighten it down. It takes some muscle, and my wife can't do it. I have to remember to change it to her setting when I'm done.

The seat seems rather hard, and I've always used a cushion on it. Lately I've started using the "Forever Comfy" cushion (as seen on TV) and it works pretty well. Although I'm done with my ride tonight, I'm still sitting on the bike to finish typing this review, so the seat can't be that uncomfortable.

As for durability, it's lasted roughly 300 hours and over 4,700 miles with no real problem. I'm noticing a bit of clunking in the mechanism lately, and I suspect something may need a little tightening. If I get ambitious enough, I may open it up and take a look, but meanwhile, I intend to keep riding to 5,000 miles and beyond, and maybe get down to 180 lbs. before I switch to "maintain" mode.

If anyone wants to learn more about my laptop mounting rack, here's a link to my YouTube video showing how I made it...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (456 customer reviews)

Out of stock