3.0 out of 5 stars Dumbed down to dumb, January 8, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Gold Edition (DVD-ROM)
As a Pilot, I bought this version because it included the G-1000 glass cockpit. The G-1000 simulator from Garmin is $119, FSX was only $34.95.

So, overall, I got what I wanted. I was very disappointed that MS decided to dumb down the flight physics even more than in FS9. Lot's of silly things too: For example, the left turning tendency is pronounced in a single engine propellor aircraft. This is caused by Torque, P-Factor, Gyroscopic precession and slipstream. Why do the 2 and 4 engine Commercial Jets in FSX also require heavy right rudder on take-off? They are immune to these forces. (They don't have props!) Stalls are so subtle and gentle as to be pointless, FSX wings never drop and full recovery is possible without relieving back pressure on the stick. FSX Planes will not spin, even when forced into cross-controlled flight. It's impossible to get the spin started and spin recovery; one of the most important basic flight skills to master, is impossible to properly simulate in FSX. Forward slips don't work properly and the glide ratios (at least for 172's) are ridiculously exaggerated (maybe I'm flying really "dirty" planes in real life?). I was also disappointed that there are no physics included to simulate the F-18 breaking the sound barrier. :(

It's great for learning instrumentation and navigation, but as a simulation of flight; it is pretty useless. The things this simulator lets you get away with (Yes, on Full Realism) would kill you several times per day in a real aircraft.

Graphics are good, but not the quantum leap you would expect from FS9-FSX (I'm running a quad core i7 940 at 2.93ghz, 6gb ram and a nVidia GTX-260 and have pretty much everything set to medium. Even set that low, NYC can knock me down to 6 FPS.

Buy it for fun, or to experiment with cockpit instumentation (it's really good for that, especially for student pilots training in G-1000 equipped aircraft), but don't fool yourself into believing that it is as Real As It Gets, because it flies like a video game.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 25, 2010 1:35:11 PM PST
Crashnburn says:
I hope you meant 6 GB RAM, because 6 MB on today's PCs is useless.

I just came from Garmin's web site, and their G-1000 simulator is now $24.95. The G430 and G530 simulators are free, and have all the G-1000 functionality, except soft-keys.

You can get a G1000 CD-ROM course at www.g1000book.com/ for $99.95. This course includes a simulator, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2010 3:42:02 PM PST
Maine AV8R says:
Yes :) I meant 6GB RAM. LOL

I learned about the Garmin price redux after I bought FSX. Still, I'm happy to have FSX, just disappointed with some of Microsoft's decisions in the version change from FS2004 to FSX

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2011 6:36:36 PM PST
I have a quad-core AMD Athlon II 620, 10GB RAM and a Radeon 5770. Do I need to scale up already with cross-fire? I want to run at least 720P...

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 4:42:23 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 10, 2012 7:02:31 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2011 5:45:14 PM PST

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 5:51:53 PM PST
I saw this game on youtube and it was in 720p - it looked amazing. If I can't get that level of detail on my PC, I might not want it, or I might need to add another card. I use 3 displays (for non-linear video editing production) and my PC is not optimized for games intentionally, it seems like it should run this...I hope.

I'm actually looking at games to add some realistic video to some documentaries as History channel and some others have done, rather than re-enactments or simple still shots of whatever is depicted. I am not going to make it central to the film, but having a few animated fly-bys on some of the terrain and maps of the topic would be excellent.

When I was younger I did play Falcon 3 and 4 with some Thrustmaster gear, but I gave that to my son when he 'inherited" my gaming gear. I was never that in to the games though, just a dabbler.

I hope to generate some nice fly bys, but maybe I should try to get the hang of Google Earth's built in sim, it's hard to control for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2011 10:47:56 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 18, 2011 10:07:34 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2011 10:54:24 PM PST
Maine AV8R says:
Chris, I can't answer about your hardware, I'm unfamiliar with the AMD processors. But I'm guessing that dual video cards are a must if you want high levels of detail and a decent frame-rate.

No matter what you have for hardware you will have to tweak settings until you find the level of detail/framerate that makes you happy.

I also should mention that the lighting effects are the worst ever. I've been looking for a good patch, but the aircraft lighting effects are worse than ever and the runway lighting (especially approach lighting) are horrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2011 9:04:01 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2011 10:17:23 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 18, 2011 10:25:35 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (896 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $47.92