192 of 228 people found the following review helpful
Interesting book but extremely random and reads more like a magazine,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life (Hardcover)
I am a fan of Tim Ferris but I have to say that this book over promises and under delivers. Ferris is the master of marketing and hype and even teaches you his techniques on his blog so it is very easy to pick out what he did. Here are some of my thoughts on the book.
- The book claims it's not a book about cooking yet 80% of the content is food related. He talks a lot about meta-learning but doesn't really dive into learning types and just gives generic learning tips.
- The book reads almost like a magazine and jumps all over the place as you progress through.
- Random mens magazine style tips (how shoot a jumpshot??, Knifes, guns, camping etc) I feel like I'm reading a GQ magazine.
- Really big book, the formatting is good but some of the pictures looked very amateur.
- You can tell he didn't write a lot of content of the book. Ferris is the master of outsourcing yet he makes it seems like he is the jack of all trades.
- Tons of pages of recipes (I thought this wasn't a cookbook?)
...more later as I progress through the book.
Overall I would say that it is a very entertaining book but I didn't find it more educational than any magazine you can pickup off the newsstands.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2012 7:24:53 PM PST
Timothy C. Ferriss says:
I wrote all of this book. I'm sorry you didn't like it, but I did not outsource my writing.
All the best to you and yours,
Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:29:39 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 20, 2012 2:39:46 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›