3.0 out of 5 stars It was a great TV until notice the screen uniformity issue, June 8, 2011
This review is from: Samsung UN55D8000 55-Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3D LED HDTV (Silver) [2011 MODEL] (2011 Model) (Electronics)
I have been playing with this TV for one week, the image a color accuracy was great until I notice there is a white halo in the left and right side of the TV. After reading other users and expert reviews, seems like the screen uniformity problem is persistent.

I chat with Samsung representative and this is what they told me:

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Dennis'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK4380954317X

Dennis: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Visitor: Yes I bought a UN55D8000 TV,
Dennis: Okay.
Visitor: have a problem with the image, there is a white halo when watching dark scenes
Dennis: Where is this located on the screen?
Visitor: left side (more intense) and right side (less intense), middle (center) looks fine
Dennis: Is it on the corners that you can notice this?
Visitor: no, more like a vertical line from top to bottom
Visitor: but is not exactly a line, it's a halo
Dennis: Please set the TV to Standard or Movie picture mode and lower the backlight to 7.
Dennis: Use the TV with this setting for 3 weeks.
Dennis: This should go away.
Visitor: tell me more why?
Dennis: This occurs when the LED screen emits more light.
Visitor: are the LED supposed to emit less light after three weeks?
Dennis: Using the TV with these settings will eliminate the excess light.
Visitor: yes, but it doesn't look good since doesn't have enough light
Dennis: Please change the settings and try this for at least 2 weeks.
Visitor: can't understand why 2-3 weeks? what happen after? can I go back and use whatever setting I want?
Dennis: Yes, you can change the settings after two to three weeks.
Visitor: Ok, just to let you know, I will post this in Amazon ratings, if this is not a fix I will say so... Samsung doesn't say this to customer when sell the TV and this seems to be a problem with the design of the TV itself...
Dennis: These are the troubleshooting steps that we can try for this issue.
Dennis: We are not suggesting you to use the TV with these settings for ever.
Visitor: Ok, I will try...thanks.

I will try and let you know, although I'm considering returning it given this is a very pricey TV...

UPDATE: Here is an update on the troubleshooting suggested by Samsung on screen uniformity...

I don't see material improvement using the setting that Samsung's representative suggested, and honestly don't think it will make any difference (or at least I do not understand why would be better just changing the setting temporarily). I could wait another week but don't have more time to wait before having my window to return... so I have finally decided to return it since the white halo doesn't go away and this TV is just too expensive to have this type of problem... if this TV would be $1500 or less, I would keep it for sure.

To be very balance in my review, still think the colors are great and the exterior design of the TV is the best I have ever seen, but it seems like this great exterior design is the one creating the screen uniformity due to the thin bezel...I have also notice two additional minor issues with this TV, motion blur issues on fast pace scenes and the remote control range which is relatively short (8 feet or so).

So I'm switching to a recently announced Samsung PND8000 which is supposed to be top rated plasma... same interface and remote control than the UND8000, I will write a review once I get the chance to play with it...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 8, 2011 8:49:11 AM PDT
Sjusto says:
Josetron, Could you please let me know if the problem has been fixed?
I'm thinking about buy this TV, but if the workaround dind't work I'll go for another model.
Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2011 9:49:29 AM PDT
will do!

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 7:28:14 AM PDT
M. A. Yaffe says:
Thanks for this post! I have been considering this TV for a while, but now I am learning that screen uniformity is a problem for edge lit LED/LCD TVs. I am now considering a full array model. The Samsung edge lit models in my local Best Buy store often have vertical "bands" of slightly darker areas visible in solid white or light color backgrounds. These models have been tuned on for more than 3 weeks so I'll be surprised if your problem really goes away completely. Your Samsung support person was probably reading from a script and he cannot really fix what may be a design problem. If this TV went down in price by $800 or more I'd likely buy it even with the deficiency. I look forward to your update.

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 8:12:10 AM PDT
I'm curious...what is your build date and panel number? Thnx.

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 8:01:03 AM PDT
I also have been considering this tv...I am looking forward to the conclusion to you experement and hope I can find the follow-up coment you have for us... You are wonderful to take the time to do the homework for US, who have been trying hard to get the wright TV at the right price. Thank you !!

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 11:44:40 AM PDT
Josetron says:

So I'm switching to a recently announced Samsung PND8000 which is supposed to be top rated plasma... same interface and remote control than the UND8000, Iwill write a review once I get the chance to play with it...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 7:32:16 AM PDT
Sjusto says:
Thank you for your review.

This really makes me think about it. I was about to replace my UN46C8000 by this one, and now, well, I don't know.

I wanted to stay with Samsung. I wonder if anyone knowns a good one to recommend of the new generation.

Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 10:30:46 AM PDT
Josetron says:
All depends on how "picky" you are with this type of defects... I see the majority of the post seems to have no complaints about this issue, so either they didn't notice or don't care...if you will use the TV in bright light the issue is not that visible.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 11:27:30 AM PDT
Sjusto says:
Ok, thanks for your feedback.
Regards,

Santiago

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 9:25:16 PM PDT
J. Velovic says:
Samsung PN59D8000 59-Inch 1080p 600Hz 3D Plasma HDTV (Black)

I am looking at the PN59D8000. Let me know how you like it. I don't like the LCD cloud issues so I researched the best plasma and it seems like its the PND8000.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›