Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective Product!, December 20, 2010
This review is from: Cooler Master NotePal U3 - Laptop Cooling Pad with 3 Movable Fans (Personal Computers)
I originally purchased the Notepal U2, and I must say that the cooling ability of the cooler was absolutely exceptional. My temperature was consistently below 45 Celsius, whereas the temperature without the cooler was in the range of 50-55 Cecilius.

However, about 5 weeks later, the fans stop turning on. So, I decided that I would purchase their "upgrade" and get the Notepal U3. There was not a dramatic deference in the Notepal U3 when compared to the Notepal U2(alteast two degress fewer).

Sadly, all three of the U3 fans stop turning on after three weeks of owning the product. I take proper care of my electronics, so I highly doubt I did anything to shorten the fans life.

Overall, the product is fantastic when it actually works, but I won't recommend risking the chance of buying the product due to the defectiveness of the product.

I currently have no laptop cooler, but I'm open to suggestions from the Amazon customers.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 17, 2011 9:57:43 PM PST
J. Earley says:
I wouldn't just get rid of the pad, instead try to order some decent fans from arctic cooling or scythe(they're not expensive); 2 or 3 92mm or 120mm fans, wire them together and then to an ac adapter and attach them under the cooling stand. It's fairly simple. Instead of spending more money on a cooling pad with more crappy fans you can always use what you have and make it better. There's plenty of information out there to teach you how to do this. I'm buying this product for just that reason, I know well that the fans are crap. I intend to use the stand and get better fans. It may work for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2011 8:42:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 19, 2011 8:42:14 AM PST
FishWater says:
Thanks for the advice, my friend. May you please show me a link on Amazon the best fan and AC adapter for the Notepal U3 pad? I prefer 120mm over 92mm due to better airflow.

Posted on Jun 3, 2011 7:41:56 PM PDT
Coffeejunkie says:
I replace the 200GB 5400 rpm HDD in my 15" MBP with a 500GB 7200 rpm HDD 4 months ago. My MBP got really hot! I downloaded smcFanControl for Mac from cnet.com, installed it, set the Active Setting to Higher RPM and watch temperature of my 15" MBP drop from 62 to 52 Celsius. Short of a laptop cooler that can suck air out behing the hinge, this is the best solution, and free!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 5:27:39 PM PDT
Excellent suggestion for macbooks--thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2011 12:03:17 AM PDT
I've had similar issues as FishWater (the op)--a fan went out after only a couple months. Thanks for sharing this info!

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 12:50:20 AM PST
Kristen says:
I have had the same laptop cooler for a year now and it works great. I feel the air as it sits on my lap, so not only does it keep my laptop bottom cool, but it also keeps my lap cool. My processor is heats up the most on the left side {or that is the air output} but either way it is always cool and I spend several hours on my laptop. Some reviewers said that their fan stop, but after 13 months of having it, it still works great. Here is the link:http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cooling-N100-Dusty-Rose/dp/B003JZC7BS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1327740354&sr=8-4

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 6:46:11 AM PDT
curious says:
I too did the same HD replacement. Have you noticed a dramatic decrease in battery life now on your laptop ? Mine now shuts down after even 20 min. when not plugged in & used to run 2 hrs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 10:35:52 PM PDT
Sam Moss says:
Good idea on how to make decent product better by adaptation...it does seem like a good work base being metal to work with so you can attach better fans down the road when the OEM's fail (which they do regularly) had my Targus fans go bad after a yr and this seems like the best way to have a good base to work with..thanks for the heads up

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 4:33:48 PM PDT
I just ordered this fan to replace the Thermaltake Massive 23LX that I just bought, exchanged, and am now returning. I gave it a chance, but it's junk. When I read the review by FishWater I was bummed for a second but then thought "get new fans". I agree with you. The design of this cooler allows for alot of custom fabrication, and there are some powerful and strong aftermarket fans available. I also agree with your suggestion to wire it to an AC adapter. I don't want my only power option to the battery, and I can put more juice to the fans from the wall.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 8:34:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 8:40:51 PM PDT
Sam Moss says:
to be honest anything these days can and will fail. I really thought this thing gives us an option to tweak the air so to speak. Knock on wood but so far so good as far as the stock fans working correctly. I do know that eventually they will fail but the design is what it is about. The good part is it can handle a 17" and the slippage issue is a non issue.

Wish you all the luck because heat really does kill these things. Laptops that is. Even desktops. I even took my battery out because there is no need to be constantly on charge. Thanks because what I said did come from imperical knowledge.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›