17 of 20 people found the following review helpful
PS2 still going strong,
This review is from: PlayStation 2 Console Slim - Black (Video Game)
* access to the extensive PS2 catalog, including many classics (Metal Gear Solid series, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War 1 & 2, &c)
* backwards compatibility with the PS1, for even more classics
* games for PS and PS2 are far less expensive than PS3 or XBox 360 games, and PS2 accessories are commonly available used
* getting both a PS3 Slim and a PS2 Slim + accessories is now cheaper than finding a backwards-compatible PS3, and you're guaranteed 100% compatibility...don't waste your money tracking down the elusive PS3 60GB.
* cheaper even than the Wii, making the PS2 possibly the best bang-for-buck deal in gaming
* a previous-generation console, so no new games coming out for it (just the current huge & excellent catalog)
* graphics aren't as good as latest-generation consoles
* definitely not HD
* still requires memory cards (backwards-compatible PS3 can create as many virtual PS2 memory cards as the hard drive can hold)
* Controllers use their own odd connectors, not standard USB like the PS3
Thank God for Sony not abandoning its (excellent) PS2 library like Nintendo has largely done for its classic consoles. You won't get the latest and greatest, but you'll have a selection of many excellent time-tested games, and having a cheaply available PS2 makes the newer non-backwards-compatible PS3s not seem so bad.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 18, 2015 11:56:31 AM PDT
Amazon Customer says:
Nintendo didnt abandon their library its available in the virtual market.. just sad you gotta pay for it now.. but sony doing the samething on current gen consoles as well as Microsoft.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›