5.0 out of 5 stars Best camera bag I've ever owned, January 28, 2011
This review is from: Crumpler MD-07-06A 7 Million Dollar Home Photo Bag (Brown/Orange) (Camera)
To start off, I haven't owned too many camera bags. Luckily enough for me I picked the best bag I've seen on my second round.

I started off by buying the Canon Backpack bag. It's hideously unattractive and really besides the inserts is no different from any other backpack on the planet (except this one you'd get beat up for at the office). It was black and "idiotic gold" and seemed like a mix between a Jansport and a shoebox. It was a fairly rigid body (good thing) but too large in certain areas and too small in others. It was hard holding a lot of equipment in it and once you did it was *extremely* difficult to get it out without putting the bag on the ground and opening it up all the way (just the thing I love to do on crowded streets in a city where I wouldn't even leave a juicebox out of sight for fear of it being gone when I look back...I'll miss you Ectocooler Hi-C)

Finally, I decided it was time to upgrade. I wanted a bag I could take things out of without having to stop. I wanted a bag that didn't need to be put on the ground. I wanted a bag that could make me espresso in the morning. Thank God for Crumpler and their ability to make a bag that does 2 of those 3 things! Actually, I'm glad it doesn't do the third thing too because I don't want espresso on my lenses.

When this bag arrived, it was as if the Heavens opened up and rays of God's grace hit my doorstep. This bag is sexy. I picked brown and orange because I'm from Cleveland and our football team deserves respect. Also, have you seen the blue? Yikes. After opening the package I saw exactly what the description already said: this bag is seemingly made with a single piece of fabric. There are seams, but it almost seems as if they're just there for decoration. This bag is almost vacuum sealed. I used it for anti-gravity experiments and it performed admirably.

On to the interior. The interior of this bag is a light baby blue color and the fabric is almost like thick felt, but very sturdy. It comes with a vast number of inserts that can be positioned any way you want them, but the standard setup is pretty great for my needs. The center is where the actual camera body and attached lens would go. There are 4 "compartments" surrounding the main one and there are 2 flaps that can go down (one on each side). Currently this is what I have in my bag: Canon 7D with attached Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS lens in center. On the right side there is a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II with attached tripod ring and Canon 50mm f/1.8 ("Nifty Fifty"). On left is the battery charger, BlackRapid RS-7 sling strap, lens hoods for both L lenses, card reader, and Canon 430EX II. BTW, there's still room. In the front flap there are extra SD cards, extra battery, HDMI cable, instruction books for random things, and business cards.

Hyperbole aside: It's one of the best bags I've ever used (I've owned 2, but I've used probably around 20). It's *extremely* comfortable. I'm used to sling-style bags (cross-the-body type) from highschool and college so I'm used to weight always being on my left shoulder, but this thing spreads the weight *perfectly*. Even with all of that stuff (probably around 10lbs or so) I could carry it around all day without a problem. On top of that, the way the fabric is stitched together (and the quality of the fabric) means it's almost completely waterproof. That doesn't mean take it out in the rain...that would still be a bad idea...it just means that the bag itself can handle a little weather. It's *extremely* durable, easy to clean, and from the bottom-up actually *is* waterproof (you don't have to worry about putting it down in the snow or in a few inches of water).

Pros
-Quite a bit of space
-Inserts are just the right size
-Handles weather very well
-Looks *great* but doesn't scream, "I'm holding expensive stuff inside"
-Colors obviously made to represent the Cleveland Browns, huge Pro
-Very comfortable and extremely lightweight for a bag of this size
-Easy to get into/out of without having to stop or put it down

Cons
-The fact that they even *make* the blue colored exterior
-Slightly expensive
-Isn't completely waterproof, with no options to make it so (certain other manufacturers have a "rain gear" included that can completely insulate the bag from the exterior)

[Add comment]