Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Now Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Deal! Still my favorite Amazon purchase to date., June 8, 2011
This review is from: Jensen JTA-460 3-Speed Stereo Turntable with MP3 Encoding System and AM/FM Stereo Radio (Black) (Electronics)
This is easily the best tech purchase that I have made on Amazon. Chose to have this baby over-nighted and received the package in less than 18 hours.

To start, This is a very attractive looking vinyl player. The back of this unit contains RCA(Red/White) outputs to hook up to an audio receiver but also has a "phones" AUX port that you can plug in directly to speakers...or headphones. After looking into an array of vinyl players I found that the majority of them lack an Aux output and are not "self powered" like this unit which contains its own speaker system(the speakers are decent, but obviously you want to hook this up to some real speakers anyway). A player with only RCA outputs requires a sound system with receiver and this can get really expensive. I am not so much interested in the recording features of this player, but have tried it and it is very intuitive. I have hardly experienced ANY skipping issues that others are claiming. The skips I have encountered have been on account of the record itself. The only issue I have had...and I am not quite sure how to explain it, but rarely a record will cut out before the end of the last song on a side. It may be related to the weight of the vinyl. A counter weight is included and while not meant for this purpose, I have found that this fixes the issue. Again, this has happened very rarely.

I have a "RCA to AUX" cable connected to the microphone input on my computers sound card and output the sound from my computers headphones port to a set of Klipsch 2.1 powered speakers and man does it sounds great. In this way, my computers sound card is acting as an audio receiver. The sound is louder, crisper and deeper sounding this way. As an added bonus, I can control the volume using my computer.

EDIT 11/27/2012: I have left the general message of my original review intact above, however, when I first wrote this review, I was outputting the sound directly to a pair of speakers. While this certainly works fine, it is just not preferable in terms of sound quality. I recommend either using this player through a PC sound card or audio receiver for optimal sound, the latter being the more expensive, but likely better option. If you are like me though and just DID NOT want to buy an audio receiver, this is a tremendous way to have your player set up. Honestly, I just cant imagine an audio receiver being much of an improvement over how I have things now, if at all.

Favorite Vinyl:

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 10, 2011 7:10:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2011 7:10:44 AM PDT
B. Sebastien says:
Hi,
Thanks for your review.
Before buying it, I was wondering what kind of AUX it was (size wise). I saw that the headphone jack was a smaller one. I was wondering if the AUX output was a bigger one.

Thanks
S.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2011 9:40:10 PM PDT
Are you talking about the type of larger jack that you would hook up a guitar to an amp with? Im curious what type of speakers you are trying to hook up that would require this type of jack and if this would produce better sound.

In either case, there is only one AUX port. It is the standard size that you might stick a pair of headphones in...

Hope this helps. Have fun with whatever player you end up purchasing

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 7:33:49 AM PDT
B. Sebastien says:
Well, I will go a different route (similar to yours).
I am hesitating between this one, and the IPTusb (Ion). Same price, same spec.
The Jensen however, seems to accommodate a record on the plate entirely (its goes outside for the IPTusb).

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 12:14:54 PM PST
M. Weineck says:
Hey there,

I have a massive bass amp that I still use to play music but on top of the amp I have my laptop and I bought a cable to play my music from my laptop through the amp, and it sounds fantastic, I had to plug one side of the cable in the headphone jack on the side of the laptop and then the other into the bass head but bought that adjustment piece so it can fit into it. Like the size of the jack on a guitar cable, do you think It's possible to set up the turntable the same way?

thanks,

-Matt

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 9:00:32 AM PDT
Ash says:
Is it still working well? How are the built in speakers?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 10:41:41 AM PDT
I use the vinyl player for about an hour at a time a couple times a week and have yet to have any problems with it. The only issue i occasionally run into is having the last song on a side end 10 or 15 seconds early. I have found that the included counterweight normally solves this issue though. I think that literally everyone that has seen this vinyl player and owns one themselves or does not has commented that this is "the nicest vinyl player they've seen." While it is clearly not the nicest, I think it has to be one of the best deals out there.

As for the speakers in the unit...They actually are pretty loud and i think that SOME people really would be happy with just the speakers in this unit alone. I just unplugged my speakers to listen to them alone again. They are significantly less crisp than my external speakers and lack a certain range of highs and lows, but overall I am listening to it and it is still enjoyable. Its not a boom box with a vinyl spinner on top by any means, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 10:59:38 AM PDT
Ash says:
Thank you for the update!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 7:20:19 PM PDT
Michael, Are you having any problem with records skipping as others have reported ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 8:29:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2012 8:31:05 PM PDT
I do see that a certain number of people are having a problem with this player skipping. First, I would imagine a certain amount of people receive a bad unit that has some sort of problem, Whether its because of shipping or a manufacturing flaw I couldn't say. It see some have had issues with the MP3 recording. I only tried it once, but it worked for me. All I can say is, the only issues I've really had from skipping is when there is a clear scratch/flaw in my vinyl. In one of my previous comments I report that "The only issue i occasionally run into is having the last song on a side end 10 or 15 seconds early. I have found that the included counterweight normally solves this issue." The counterweight is labeled "45," but for 33s it also seems to help some with this issue. I just think some people are soured by a bad unit. Overall, yes I do occasionally run into a few skips and such, but Its never severe enough for me to really blame the player. I have been nothing but happy with mine. I will say though, that while I have had this one for a year and the price has stayed constant at around $80, I believe the price of the Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Belt Driven Turntable has dropped significantly. If the extra $14 does not bother you, it may be a little better option, but I continue to have no problems with mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 8:36:42 PM PDT
thank you so much for your prompt and thoughtful reply Michael ! I think you may be on to something when you indicate that more defects in the vinyl could be contributing to skipping...hard to say. Appreciate your reply. Thank you !!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›