ARRAY(0xa08c2c18)

5.0 out of 5 stars Produces Consistently High Quality Pictures, April 4, 2010
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SD1400IS 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Silver) (Electronics)
The Canon PowerShot SD1400IS 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Silver) is exactly the kind of camera I have been wanting. I photograph documents a lot, so I am very concerned with the amount of detail that can be captured, especially in relatively low-light conditions. The quality of the pictures is significantly better than any other camera I have tried.

PROS:
-Produces consistently clear pictures
-Extremely compact, lightweight, and sturdy
-Easy to use (functions are intuitively organized)
-Uses standard USB cable instead of a proprietary one (SONY)
-Uses standard memory instead of a proprietary one (SONY)
-No wheels or toggle switches jutting out to get caught on things and mess up the settings (when I wanted to take regular pictures, I always seemed to be shooting movies, or photographing in a strange light setting with my SONY camera)

CONS:
-Buttons seem a little less solid than previous CANON models (my CANON IXY from about 8 years ago was designed a lot better)
-Buttons are flush with the body of the camera, so I have to operate it using my fingernails sometimes (again, the buttons on my CANON IXY were much easier to use)
-The door to the digital port for connecting the USB cable doesn't swing out very wide, and I have a feeling that if I am not careful it may not last long (the CANON IXY had a soft rubber cover that was much more flexible)

In short, this is a great product, but I hope that CANON will re-introduce some of their older design features in the new cameras in order to make them a little sturdier and easier to use. I have not noticed any problems with dead pixels--the LCD screen is beautiful. Please note that you will need to buy a memory card separately. It does not come with one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 4, 2010 10:41:55 AM PDT
CAMPJEEP says:
Very good review, could you post some pictures on this sight for the SD1400, No one has posted any, Thanks again for the review.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 1:38:50 PM PDT
@Campjeep
Thank you for the kind comments about my review. I posted a photo I took with the camera. Probably not as exciting for most people as a sunset or some tropical fish, but for me this is a beautiful image.

Posted on Jun 7, 2010 10:05:21 AM PDT
Thanks for your review. I've been reading about the SD1400's slow (7 second) flash recycle - have you found that to be true or an issue at all? That does seem like kind of a long time between flash shots. How about with the non-flash shots, any issue with the speed there? This camera looks great to me, especially interested in the HD videos so I'm just trying to figure out if I should be concerned about the flash recycle speed, or if that's even accurate. Am trying to decide between the SD1400 IS and the SD940 IS.
Also, do you have to use a Class 4 or higher SD card to get good results when using the HD video? So I've read. (naturally my SD cards are all Class 2) ;o) Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2010 11:43:44 PM PDT
@Debra

Sorry, but I have not used the HD video, so I do not know how good it is, and I don't take pictures in quick succession, so I have not paid much attention to the flash recycle speed. I'm afraid the pictures I take are mostly of documents, which do not move very much and are generally placed under lots of lights.

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 1:18:11 PM PST
T. Dugan says:
Same problem here with the A/V out door. It doesn't open completely and I though it was a defect until I saw this. Looks like I actually have to stretch it a bit to get the cables in...hope it doesn't break...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2010 12:33:01 AM PST
@T.Dugan

I'm not thrilled with the A/V out door, but at least I can happily say that I have used it VERY heavily for the last 8 months, and everything on the camera works just like the day I got it. I have been very pleased with the purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2011 8:58:44 PM PDT
My camera is usually screwed into a tripod.

Is there an easy way to take the SD card out, without having to unscrew it from the tripod?

On my Canon SX100IS, there is a little thumb-wheel on the top of the camera, and I am constantly switching from 'continuous camcorder' mode, to Manual mode. The letter 'M' stands for manual mode, great for taking still shots (with different ISO sensitivity settings), but really frustrating if you want to adjust the way it takes motion pictures. So far as I can tell, the ISO settings are for still shots, not motion pictures. I don't blame myself for this confusion, I blame the user manual for not spelling things out like it should.

What I am curious about, is how many of its ports are sealed off, when it is screwed into a tripod.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2011 9:44:32 PM PDT
Hi Matthew. My camera is usually screwed into a tripod as well. I do not remove my SD card. I plug in the USB connector instead. Ideally, I think it ought to be on the side of the camera, but it is conveniently located on the top right corner of the back side of the camera, so you do not have to remove it from the tripod to transfer files to your computer.

Unfortunately, you have to remove the camera from the tripod to access the battery and SD card slot. It would be really nice if someone would make a camera with all of the stuff on the sides so that we don't have to take it off the stand.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Christopher Mayo
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: the Universe