1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!, February 27, 2007
This review is from: SSI Mini Hearing Enhancement System with 5 Levels of Volume Control (Batteries Included) (Sports)
Admittedly, this hearing device is advertised as an asset in stalking deer, as you presumably could hear a deer rustling around 100 feet away. I hate hunting, but the volume control I thought might help me in everyday affairs.The device is khaki- colored, it looked black in the illustration.

1. after one spurt of loud volume the unit died completely.

2. the ear bud wouldn't stay in my ear, tried all three sizes.

3. the volume control is very hard to turn, and I don't get how they can say the unit has five levels. But after one try none of the volume levels work. The damned thing is dead even with a brand new battery supplied with the unit. Yes, the instrument was turned on.

4. the tube connecting the ear plug and the control unit is too long.This could be cut, but since the device doesn't work anyway I will not bother.

If you are a deer hunter and a man with a large ear, maybe this will be useful to you, that is, if it works.

This is the only time in many years of ordering Amazon stuff that I've given a one star rating.I should have known that at $11.64 plus postage you are not going to get a sophisticated instrument, but even at that price one does not expect the device to conk out immediately.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 15, 2008 8:54:03 PM PDT
S. Lang says:
I bought one of these and it did make sound louder. It still wasn't very clear so I took it to my local audiologist for help. He hooked my ear up to a computer and showed me that it was amplifying everything I could already hear and none of the things I was having trouble hearing. For the $15 it cost, I'm not going to the expense of sending the thing back. I ended up getting a real hearing aid and it has solved my problem! Don't waste time with these things!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2009 7:53:30 AM PST
h amacher says:
I was hoping things like this helped, but I too found they did not. I still can't hear without a device and I still cannot afford the "real things"....so I will coontinue not hearing my grandbabies clearly, missing a lot around me and unable to converse with friends without them lightheartedly teasing and laughing. Even my three year old grandson said, "what are you talking about? Evidently I answered his question incorrectly. (what I thought I heard)
Thanks for "listening" to me.
I am not able to get a job or to collect ss for help. Then I will loose my drivers licience because I would have to report having hearing problem. I would need transportation. On and On and On!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2009 7:57:44 AM PST
h amacher says:
Thanks for "listening" to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2009 10:22:34 AM PST
P. B. Sharp says:
Harriet, don't give up. There are many options. I was able to get a digital hearing aid free from my local Lions club and there may be other mens' organizations who sponsor recycled aids in your city. I would get somebody to get on the phone for you and see if they can track down some help for you. I use a TTY telephone which was given to me free by the State of New Mexico. Although you will have to declare on a license application you are hearing impaired it should not prevent you from getting a license- the problem will just be listed on the license, such as wearing corrective lenses. Hang in. There's help out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 8:12:41 AM PST
I believe persistence is the way to go. People will not come knocking on your door, asking you if you need any help. You have to reach out and ask. I lived in a major US city (and its suburbs) for 50 years, and I've lived in a very, very rural area (in a National Forest in Southern Appalachia, known for its poverty) for 13 years, and in either of these environs help of a myriad of kinds is available. But, you have to be willing to do research, and be very, very persistent (especially by not construing any "no" answers as meaning "no" will be the answer from every contact you make). Engage friends, family, social contacts, anyone and everyone that you can think of, in looking for answers, references, etc. Even children can get involved. Talk to teachers about making "you" a class project, or scout leaders to make you a project that solving will make the scout badge eligible. And, be sure that if you cannot work you have pursued all types of assistance, like Medicaid (based on you "income" and not on your eligibility to receive SSDI or SSI). You go gal!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 5:21:45 PM PST
Hi,
Unfortunately I did hear about the Lions Club and tried to reach same. The phone number was changed or out of service, leaving the impression that it was no longer in the business of helping in the hearing department. I sent to Amazon and got a pair of awful things and waited too long to return them. What an awful experience.
Once again, thank you for your suggestions and I will look into them. I found out why the old guys and gals use a "funnel" for hearing. I found that if I cup my ear I can hear the TV. Think interviewers will overlook this? I really feel bad about not hearing properly. But again, thank you for taking time to help.
Most sincerely.
Harriet

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 5:29:13 PM PST
h amacher says:
Thank you. I will try and get the help I need. Still in the hearing dark. My grand babies still talk and are getting better at their "crafts". I am missing a lot. I am getting another little person next week. I will pursue the income route and not eligibility. Thank you.
Here is hoping,
Harriet

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 6:47:19 PM PST
P. B. Sharp says:
Harriet, don't feel bad for one second, emotionally bad, that is. If you can hear the TV when cupping one ear there is great hope for you but the important thing is not to feel bad about your hearing loss -by that I mean don't feel inferior. One Tree has a lot of excellent advice. I take an erasable white billboard with a marker around with me when I absolutely must hear, like at an airport when I need advice to make sure I find the right flight, as even digital hearing aids no longer help me. People are remarkably kind and carefully write down directions, etc. Losing your hearing is a very large burden but you can cope...and other mens' clubs besides Lions may offer refurbished hearing aids...and as One Tree says, just keep contacting people until you push the right button. Help will come.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 4:18:11 PM PST
T. Epley says:
I am a person who has used hearing aids most of my life. I had a pair of aids for a very long time but they finally stopped working. I guess taking care of them and using them for 8 plus years, that happens. I am unable to afford the real things either, but I have found that these cheap devices do work, just need to try to find the right one. The one that I have been using is the Whisper BTE.. It actually was pretty decent, and I have to use it everyday. Yes, it does and can pick up background noise, but you kind of have to train your brain to just focus on the noise in front of you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 4:57:25 PM PST
P. B. Sharp says:
T. Epley, I'll look into the Whisper BTE. I am quite sure the brain can be trained as you have done! Thank you for your input!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

P. B. Sharp
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: NM