Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

2.0 out of 5 stars A Good Talet With a Few Annoyances (RETURNED), March 3, 2013
This review is from: 9'' Dual Core Google Android 4.4 KitKat 8GB Multimedia Tablet PC, Dual Camera, Google Play Pre-load, 3D Game Supported [enhanced version of Dragon Touch 9" A13 MID948B] (Electronics)
LAST UPDATE: 3/26/13 - The headphone jack stopped working properly today, so I have returned the item for a refund. I would suggest avoiding this item if possible. If not, then don't expect to use the headphone jack very often. It's good if you're on a budget. But, if you can get a brand name tablet, please do. A good tablet would be Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7-Inch, Wi-Fi). My rating has dropped to reflect this recent turn of events.

***

3/3/13 - I bought this tablet Friday and received it Saturday. This being my first tablet I wasvery excited about it. I still am, but some of that excitment has since been replaced with minor annoyance.

The reason I got this tablet was so I could read my Kindle books at the college I go to. I wasn't too thrilled with the lack of features of many other higher end tablets and I don't like iOS. This tablet offers me Android 4.0 which I like. I also like that I can use my 32gb microSD card to boost storage capacity for Spotify and other stuff. So far it has delivered really well and is the only budget tablet I've seen with Google Play.

The wifi works ok and I can browse the web fairly quickly. The display isn't the best but performs as expected.

What annoyed me first was the touch screen. It tends to be unresponsive much of the time and tests my patience. I found that light taps don't register, so I must tab slightly harder. Not too much harder though. Despite this, it works well enough.

The second annoyance is the performance. Keep in mind that it was cheap so I didn't hold high expectations. Under very small loads it works we'll. I can browse the web, listen to Spotify, and have facebook running all at once. Anything more and the performance decreases.

The third annoyance is the headphone jack. If I plug my headphones in all the way they won't make a proper connection. So I have to leave them out a small bit. They still fit tight enough not to fall out on their own. Not all headphones will be like this though. My gaming headset plugs in all the way with no issues.

Fourth annoyance is the webcam. Where it sits I can't get my face in the frame. This forces me to tilt it which ruins the viewing angel on this cheap display.

Fifth annoyance is Skype audio quality. It sounded to me like I was talking to a chipmunk when talking to my girlfriend on Skype. With this and annoyance four, this tablet is unsuitable for decent skype calls. But Skype does work when these issues are overlooked.

Sixth annoyance was being told everything I type was spelled wrong. I just turned the spellcheck off.

This tablet seems good for the price once these issues are taken into account. It will do what I need.

***

I wrote the above portion of this review on the tablet without too much of an issue, just so you all know.

This tablet will also do Netflix and YouTube really well too.

***

3/6/13 - Having had a few days with it, I have finally started to get more and more used to this tablet. Honestly, I kind of wish I would have been smarter and just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab. But, with the lack of money I had to put into it, I would only be getting a 7 inch tablet and maybe a 32gb MicroSD card.

One thing I like about the Dragon Touch is that it came rooted. So I could easily bind the directory that Spotify uses on the internal memory to a folder on my MicroSD card. This has worked very well so far. And don't try telling me I could root the Galaxy Tab as well. I just don't have the time or energy to mess with it if something went wrong and I accidentally ruined it. That'd put me out of a lot of money.

Here's a quick tip to those who are experiencing performance issues. Don't do very much multitasking. One or two tasks at a time, and no more than three. If you're going to be browsing the web, don't open many tabs. Yes, this is an Android tablet, but keep in mind that it was designed to be an affordable solution with as many features as possible. It isn't meant to be a powerhouse. Also, go into the settings, and under developer options, set the "Window Animation Scale" and the "Transition Animation Scale" to off. If you follow this advice, the tablet should perform better.

The touch screen has become a bit less of a pain to use. After awhile, I got used to how it worked and now I have little troubles getting it to respond the first or second times. Again, it's a cheap tablet, what more can one expect? At least it's not a resistive touch screen. I've heard those can be a pain.

I have also been able to install a couple of games and they both work very well. The first game I expected to work since the graphics are very basic. The game is called "Zombie Evil". The only issue I've had with it is the touch screen not registering once in a while. Other than that, it works perfectly.

The second game is the free version of "Fruit Ninja". This game surprised me. I was expecting it to be the same kind of graphics as "Zombie Evil". But it's actually got some basic 3D in it that reminds me of GTA 3. This tablet pulled it off without any issues whatsoever. The only thing that I've had issues with is connecting with some server to post my scores. All in all, I'm very happy with the tablets performance here.

Those are the only two games I've tried, however. I'll keep things up to date until I'm certain that this tablet was worthwhile buy.

Now, for those users who own either an Android phone or iPhone who want to have access to internet on this tablet on the go, you might like this. As a Sprint user I was able to, for an extra $20/month (this could change or be different depending on your carrier) on my phone bill, use my Android phone as a mobile hotspot. Granted, this only gives me 2GB of download per month, but I only use it for web browsing when I'm out of the house. When I'm in the house, I use the WiFi I have hooked up to the DSL. So I'm not worried about going over that cap. But it works well for me since I don't have WiFi access at the college I attend. Also makes it easier for me to stay somewhat entertained on the bus to school and back.

The battery has held up well enough for me. Not the best battery in the world, but neither is my cellphone. So, I keep my charger with me when I take the tablet out of the house. The battery does take awhile to charge though, which sucks since I'm so impatient. But, it's a small price to pay.

The charger itself hasn't broken yet, like a couple of people have reported happening to them. Knock on wood, however. Doing my best to keep it that way. The end that plugs into the tablet has a very tight fit, making it hard to remove. So just be gentle with it as you remove it. Only pull hard enough to remove it, don't tug on it or rip it out of the tablet. Best way to break any charger and/or device it plugs into.

Also, don't expect to use this outside under direct sunlight. You won't be able to see it, even on a cloudy gray day, without some cover from the light. Again, another small price to pay.

Overall, I still think this tablet was worth it for what I need it for. What you don't pay for in money, you pay for in quality. It's obvious that the manufacturer of this Chinese tablet did their best to sacrifice quality of the less important aspects in order to make an affordable tablet that will perform well enough to do the job that most people will most likely use it for and still have quality where it counts without breaking the bank.

My initial rating has not changed so far. I'll keep this up to date until I am sure this tablet won't be a let down in the long run.

***

3/17/13 - I have had this tablet for two weeks now and it's still going strong. This will probably be the last time I add to this review unless something happens to the tablet to change my mind. But, for now, I believe that this is a good tablet at the price and is worth spending money on if you're thinking about it.

If you're looking for a better web browsing experience, I recommend ditching the stock browser and installing Firefox from the Google Play store. Firefox runs smoothly, even with three tabs open at the same time. It's fairly easy to use and it seems to use the available resources efficiently. I don't usually have any issues with it slowing down the tablet or even being asked if I want to close Firefox because it's being unresponsive. It'll still happen sometimes, but far less often.

Another thing you may like to know is that this plays not only 2D games relatively well, but I've also been able to play a couple 3D shooters on it as well. The games in question are "Dead Trigger" and "Shadowgun," which are both made by the same developer "Mad Finger Games" and can be installed from the Google Play Store. The games are meant to be played with an NVIDIA Tegra 3 GPU. But the Dragon Touch doesn't sport a Tegra 3. Instead, it uses a Mali-400 GPU. Luckily, these two games are able to use the Mali-400 to pull off some good visuals with very little lag. When I found that I could play these games yesterday, I was highly impressed.

As a final note, remember not to go into this thinking that this tablet is going to be a replacement for your desktop or laptop computer. It's not. This tablet, as are most tablets in my opinion, are meant to go alongside a laptop or desktop. The only time I use my tablet is when I am on the go, want to browse the web from my bed, or want to go out into the living room or another place in the house and browse the web from there. Of course, I'll also use it if I just want to play Shadowgun for a bit.

I hope I have been helpful. If I can find a reason to not buy this tablet, I'll add it to this review. Until then, I must say that this tablet is well worth it for the price.

-- One last thing I almost forgot to add. The Amazon Instant Video client doesn't work on this device. I was unable to install it from the Google Play Store.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2013 2:07:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2013 2:08:21 PM PDT
2ed Samuel says:
Hey Devon,
Killer review brother. Lotsa info which will come in handy for Thee when Thee buys this thing.

Thanks Man ;]

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2013 6:57:10 AM PDT
Glad it helps. :)

Posted on May 11, 2013 1:13:11 PM PDT
2ed Samuel says:
What are the USB cables uesd for? I have two of them for this device, searched online, cannot figure out what they are used for.

Can anyone help please?
Thanks
Thee Ox

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2013 1:23:33 PM PDT
Devon Day says:
There should only be one USB cable, and that's to plug the tablet into your computer if you want to transfer files to and from the SD Card. I think you can also transfer files to and from the internal storage of the tablet as well.

If the product came with two USB cables, make sure that you also received a charger. If not, contact TabletExpress about getting one.

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 11:59:01 AM PDT
Brian Smith says:
hi great review. this tablet sounds like it has somes issues.

i just wanted to let everyone know that I got IB Elite 9 inch tablet and it seems to be rock solid so far. NO issues. The headphone jack works good. Its a rock solid build of Ice Cream Sandwhich as well.

To top it off, its only $84.99 so its $8 cheaper than this tablet. So check out the IB Elite 9" tablet below

IB Elite 9 inch Capacitive Allwinner A13 1.3GHz Tablet Android 4.0 IceCreamSandwich 4GB Internal Memory with Front Camera

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2013 9:48:06 AM PDT
Devon Day says:
Just about anything, with an A13 and shipping with Android 4.0 when it should have 4.2 at least, selling for less than $89 is guaranteed crap. Even at $89, a cheap Chinese tablet sucks. If people can't afford a high quality tab, then they can get a $129 Hisense Sero 7 Pro from Walmart which uses a quad core Nvidia Tegra 3. Avoid the $89 Sero 7 LT. It's not worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2013 10:48:16 PM PST
William D. says:
Hello! I am new to these Ipads or hand held tablets. I want to download e-books to my main desk stop computer then upload them to the Android. But I can't find anything that says you can do that, accept for a USB cable that comes with Android. I don't have wifi. I have high speed internet connection. I would appreciate it if you could answer my questions asap, as I have to get one of these kinds of computers asap before Christmas. Thanks a lot in advance! Billy Dee

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2013 11:14:19 PM PST
Devon Day says:
For starters, having wifi would benefit you much more as far ad tablets are concerned. Also, it depends on the format the ebooks are in. If they are PDF documents, then you can simply plug the tablet into your computer (with the tablet turned on) and drag and drop the ebooks onto the device like you would a thumb drive or portable hard drive. But, if you bought these ebooks via Amazon's Kindle, or Barnes and Noble's Nook, services, then you must have access to wifi to download the necessary Kindle or Nook app to then access your account and download the books.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›