5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding step forward, October 25, 2012
This review is from: Acer Aspire V5-571P-6642 15.6-Inch Touch Screen Laptop (1.7 GHz Intel Core i5-3317U Processor, 6GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, Windows 8) Silky Silver (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had mine for a few hours so these are just first impressions:

The build quality is very high - this laptop feels solid despite being very light. The design is clean and simple, the screen is bright and the colors are vibrant. The sound is well above average for a laptop, but that's not saying too much.

This is my first exposure to Windows8 and from what I read in the press, I was expecting to hate it. On the contrary I think for home use it's going to work out perfectly. If you are comfortable with the iPhone style interface you'll have no problem with Windows8. During the initial setup boot it shows you the two main things you need to know in order to navigate. With that I was up and running. I wasn't too sure about the touch screen idea: love it for my phone, but how would the ergonomics feel with a laptop? Answer: awesome. With the Windows8 "tile" based interface, touch just works. I've barely used the touchpad since I got this thing. My other computers seem lame now. Again, this is based on a few hours of use, but the first impressions are very good. I think the Windows OS has made a big step forward out of the cluttered mess it was.

I work in the computing industry so I looked a little closer into some of the specs for those who like to know these things: the CPU, as noted is an Intel i5. That doesn't really tell you much, since that can refer to multiple generations of Intel chips. In this case it is the latest and greatest "IvyBridge" dual-core Intel CPU (22nm, Tri-gate transistors). This is a 17w(!) CPU. That is insanely low power for the performance you are getting. This CPU also includes some fairly robust integrated graphics on the die with 16 graphics execution units. This is 4 more than the previous high-end, and 10 more than the current "second tier". I've read up on the benchmarks and it out classes many discrete graphics solutions. This should actually enable you to do some fairly decent gaming on your laptop if you so choose. It will won't compete with a dedicated "gaming" laptop with high-end discrete graphics, but then again it won't cost you 2-3K. One thing to note is that the Intel graphics drivers generally fall short of AMD or Nvidia when it comes to some of the more high-end graphics settings. Most users don't even know how to get to those features, but if you are serious gamer this is something to consider. On the other hand when it comes to mainstream applications and video performance, Intel performs as well or better than the competition.

A few things to note: this laptop has a nice big 500GB hard drive, but it's a conventional drive and not a solid-state drive. All conventional drives are at risk of failure, and so you should pick up a cheap external back-up HDD just to be safe (or sign up for an online back-up service from somebody like Amazon). It's cheap insurance. Another thing worth mentioning is that while this is not an "Ultrabook" it's pretty close to being that thin. While cool looking, it does mean you have an adapter for network cables and VGA displays. Nobody should need a VGA display connector anymore (the laptop has a conventional HDMI port) but if you plan to plug into a network you have the adapter to think about. Fortunately the wireless on this laptop is first rate. I've got a pretty high-end business class HP laptop from work, and this Acer blows it away on connection speeds.

So my overall impression? This is a great laptop and based on what I've experienced I can comfortably recommend it to anyone. Any doubts I had about Windows8 have been erased. It's simple, intuitive and with a touch screen, computing is kind of fun again.

****
Just a note that after a week of using this laptop I still really like it. I'm finding Windows 8 is fairly intuitive to use and learn. That being said if you are really used to tweaking around in the old Windows there are some frustrating moments trying to figure it out in Windows 8. However overall they've made configuring things like privacy settings *much easier* so I think the average user will find themselves doing things in Windows 8 they would never do in Windows 7.

I still think that touch is why Windows 8 works and I'm not sure I could suggest buying a non-touch laptop with this OS. I've really gotten hooked on the "10 fingered" touch. It makes my "two fingered" touch on my phone seem antiquated. This makes me wish there were more convertible tablet/laptops out there. It seems like laptop makers are missing the market here.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2012 8:10:04 AM PDT
Elle says:
Dave, thank you for your review. Is this running Windows 8 Pro? I was told that one needed the Pro version to be able to view Netflix, which I'd like to be able to do. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 5:15:27 PM PDT
Dave says:
This laptop is Windows 8, not Windows 8 Pro. However the Netflix problem has been fixed - Microsoft and Netflix released a Widows 8 specific app. The "old" Netflix app will not run on Windows 8.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 8:17:05 PM PDT
kimba1960 says:
Your review was very helpful. I saw this computer today at Costco. Trying to decide between this computer and an HP model that does not have a touch screen but has other great features the Acer model does not have. I think the touch feature might win out.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 6:17:56 PM PDT
Elizabeth says:
Dave, thank you for your review. I saw this laptop in OfficeMax today, liked it, and decided to do some research on it. Well, the comments on another blog regarding this computer and Windows 8 almost convinced me not to purchase it. Not that, any of them actually had purchased it, they were just negative towards the computer because of Windows 8. After reading your review, I feel a little more comfortable with purchasing it, being you have used it, even if only a for a few hours.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:50:25 AM PDT
Eddie says:
How heavy (pounds) is it?
Does it have built-in bluetooth?
Is there an optional Acer docking station available?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 4:02:03 AM PDT
Dave says:
Yes it does have builtin Blu-tooth (that and Wi-fi are about as standard as a keyboard these days). To my knowledge there is no docking station. I have not known Acer to offer a docking station (perhaps they do in Asia where they sell into the business market).

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 7:02:01 PM PDT
JH says:
I haven't been able to locate any info on this so I thought I might ask. What is the limitations of the screen's mobility? Is it the same range as a regular laptop or are you able to bend it back and use it like a tablet? I would think it would be a little awkward to use the touch screen if it's like a regular laptop.

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 11:16:14 AM PDT
Dave says:
It is like a regular laptop. And I agree that I would prefer a convertable tablet/laptop, but be prepared to pay more (and give up screen size). Amazingly there aren't many out there with Windows 8. Here are a few that I know of:
Dell XPS Duo XPSD12-1600ALU 12-Inch Laptop
Lenovo Twist S230u 12.5-Inch Ultrabook (Black)
Toshiba Satellite U925t-S2300 12.5-Inch Ultrabook (Midnight Brown in Soft Touch Body)

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 8:08:11 AM PST
Mark Salgado says:
Hi Dave, Thanks for the awesome review! I'm trying to decide between this one and the Acer S7 but after reading your review i'm leaning towards the V5. Someone on another review stated that in order to use the touchscreen you have to double tap the mouse pad.. is this true? Or are you able to use the trackpad and touchscreen simultaneously?
Thank You.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 8:12:38 AM PST
Eddie says:
How about fan noise? Is it loud?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›