Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

3.0 out of 5 stars SONY VEGAS Movie Studio Version 12 Doesn't quite make the cut., October 10, 2012
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 (DVD-ROM)
I've been using Sony Vegas Movie Studio since version 9, and I have always been happy with it. In fact, I've been a huge proponent of Sony Vegas Movie Studio over all other editing software for it's innovative and time saving design. I have switched many editors from using Final Cut Pro to using Vegas Movie Studio because it was so much faster, yielded a better final rendering, and ran on a machine half the cost of a Mac.

Version 11 works flawlessly on all of my machines without crashing. I recently replaced my 5 year old dual core PC with a quad core i7 64 bit DELL Movie Studio series PC. Version 11 worked OK on the dual core with some stuttering in preview mode, but no other issues. Ver 11 works flawlessly on the new Dell, but it's only 32 bit software running on a 64 bit system. Version 12 is a 64 bit version of Vegas Movie Studio that should, in theory, work even faster than V.11. In version 12, when I hit the full screen preview mode, it completely crashes the computer to the blue screen of death. If you accidentally hit the full screen button instead of project setting button (located right next to it) it will go into an unrecoverable crash, it will reboot the machine, and you will lose your unsaved edits. It does the same thing on both of my new Dell machines (both the same i7 64 bit Dell Studio), so it isn't my equipment that is at fault. Version 11 still works fine on all of my machines, the old as well as the new Dells.

Stabilizing video clips used to be a one click affair in version 11. Not so in in version 12. Stabilizing is now a time wasting seven clicks per segment, and you can not run them in batch mode. In addition, the stabilizing effect is not as smooth or as good in version 12. It also takes much longer to apply to each clip. This is not progress in my book.

Please keep in mind that if you don't need to use the full screen preview mode, then version 12 is solid and does not crash. If you don't need to stabilize your videos, then that feature won't matter either. For rendering a finished product, version 12 is about 50 percent faster than version 11. That is the only advantage I see in v12 over v11. There does not seem to be any other noticeable improvements in using Movie Studio v.11 vs. v.12, so if 11 works, I see no need to pay for an "upgrade" to v.12. It seems v.12 only serves to keep Sony in a continuing cash flow.

It should be noted that I have also tried v.12 Pro version, and it has the same problems as the Platinum version. So much for going Pro.

Sony has failed to respond to any issues regarding these Vegas Movie Studio bugs. Sony just does not care once they have your money. I have removed version 12 and have gone back to using version 11, even though it's only 32 bits. Perhaps the new patch (since my original review) in version 12 may solve some of these issues, but I have no need to try it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2012 5:46:02 PM PDT
Thanks Rick, I value your judgement. The free trial version is working for me. Full screen video doesn't lock up my cheap single core laptop. However all previews studder and drop frames on this laptop, no matter of the window size. I'll continue using the trial a few more weeks before I buy it.
Thanks,
Victor Centofanti

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 1:45:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 10, 2012 10:29:56 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:20:01 AM PST
LastQuestion says:
The 64-bit has been working fine for me. There are occasional crashes but nothing directly linked to a task like what you're describing and they've been few and far between. I don't know what OS or config you're running but on W7 64 on a 2500k, GTX 570(driver 301.42), 8gb Corsair Vengeance it's been relatively smooth sailing.

As to improvements, I can't really say. I only demo'd 10 age's ago and wasn't impressed. 12 does everything I need it to. In regards to better render results if you're rendering out to a delivery format through video editing software you're doing it wrong. Lagarith Lossless, then handbrake. You'll always get the very best results that way.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:24:57 AM PST
Shibuh says:
I have been using it on my lowly Toshiba with i5 processor & 4GB RAM. I have had a number of crashes. Bust since 14 November I douwladed the update (built 575) from http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/updates/moviestudiopp and for the past week I have not had a single crash. The only component that still does not work is the New Blue Titler. I guess it's because my laptop has Intel 3000 GPU.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 10:32:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012 10:33:44 AM PST
JB says:
I was able to take advantage of a FAR offer from another internet seller, so I tried out the 64-bit version of this program. I haven't figured out yet if is necessarily faster than the 32-bit Version 10 I used to run, but I've had no crash issues whatsoever.

Note that is with the most recent update from Sony - perhaps the initial version was buggy but at least for me this version is stable.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 11:28:44 AM PST
V12 only crashes when I try to use the full screen preview mode. Turning off the hardware acceleration solved the issue, but no where does it say this is a fix, and hardware acceleration is the default. V11 never had this issue even using the same Dell machine, and it worked well all the time.

In V11, accessing the stabilizer was one mouse click. It was fast and it made the clip look as if it was shot on a steadycam.

The stabilizer mode is next to useless in V12. It takes seven clicks to get to it, it takes triple the time as V11 to stabilize a clip, and the clip barely looks better than before. Sometimes the stabilizer zooms in too close to use the corrected version of the clip at all.

All in all, I see no advantages, and several disadvantages to using V12 vs V11.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 11:33:51 AM PST
The stutter is from using a single core processor; you need a minimum quad core for smooth preview. Even with your single core, the stutter will not be visible in the end result, only in the preview. And of course, rendering takes forever on a single core. With a quad core, it's almost real time. The full frame mode crash is due to my video card incompatibility. If I turn off hardware acceleration, it works fine. But nothing tells you this, and hardware acceleration is the default mode. I found it by accident.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 1:50:43 PM PST
James Becker says:
I can understand the frustration here, I haven't owned it previously and 12 it has run beautifully on my newer i7, no crashes, which is more than I can say for Magix, talk about putting out new versions for the cash.

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 8:14:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2013 7:37:14 AM PST
I too share you frustrations with Sony. Every time I think of upgrading I remember their poor customer support. However, I have never been able to find a better solution (and I'm always looking and downloading trials). I just upgraded from 10 to 12 (which is now just called Movie Studio; the consumer version). I'm now using the 64bit version. I have an HP i7, from Staples, nothing real special. I can already tell the software is more stable, responsive and better. No crashes. No hiccups. Some of the rendering options are poorly designed (like having to type in 30fps, instead of the 29.7 dropdown). In the final analysis, with video editing software, you have to have luck in your marriage of PC to software.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 7:35:34 AM PST
This is a little confusing: Your review heading references Vegas 12, but the product listed is Movie Studio. They are two separate software titles. Which one are you actually reviewing? I have Movie Studio 11 and was considering upgrading. I used to have Vegas Pro 8 (which was EXCELLENT) but misplaced the disc and can't currently afford the latest edition of Vegas. Is Movie Studio 12 the one with the problems? Or is Vegas 12 the one with the problems? Please let me know. Thanks. (PS, I realize that Amazon often cross-lists reviews for different but closely related merchandise, so this may be an Amazon glitch -- they have done that with some of my own reviews).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›