5.0 out of 5 stars Great Receiver, but Check the Output, July 29, 2012
This review is from: Onkyo TX-NR717 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have bought Onkyo for years. They have ALWAYS sounded great. This unit is no different, but if you're like me and think you don't need a manual, you'll probably be a little scared at first.

I always go through the same procedure when installing new receivers from Onkyo: put the new one on top of the old one; connect all the same HDMI cords, speaker cords, and other cords that were in place on the old one. Lift the new receiver and pull out the old one. and I'm "usually" ready to go. However, when I went to CBL/SAT, no sound came out. it was only when I went into the setup program and saw that every speaker was set at zero decibals, did I understand (reading the manual might have helped...). After attaching values to all the speakers (all 7.2 of them), I was greeted with clear, strong sound!

I only use the Blu-Ray and CBL/SAT, so I can't really comment on the tons of extras. I use a powered Yamaha subwoofer and a passive Cerwin-Vega that I control through a Sherwood amp (I use the Sherwood just for that one function). I then run 6 identical RCA bookshelf speakers with a Cadence center speaker. I've not had to turn up the receiver past 60 (and that shook the walls). Plenty of power here.

Super receiver!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 31, 2012 8:11:24 AM PDT
J. Wagstaff says:
How does the output two HDMI work? Can you say watch HD Satellite on HDMI out 1, and a blu-ray on HDMI out 2? Or are they limited? Have you had any problems with the video quality at all?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 8:54:06 AM PDT
Jerome Bush says:
There ARE two HDMI outputs, but one says "sub." I connect both subs along with the speakers and don't use the HDMI out except for sound and picture out. The video is always excellent (that's why I continually buy the Onkyo receivers). The sound is always crystal clear. I haven't used the 3D or all the extras that are available (YET). I don't use the Audyssey Room Calibration. I depend on my own ears. For what I use the Onyko, it does every thing I want.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 9:00:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2012 7:48:50 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 7:30:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2012 10:19:36 PM PDT
W. Price says:
Generally, when there are two outputs, the "main" output supports ARC (audio return channel) and a pass-through mode when the unit is in standby. The second "sub" output is slaved (sends the same signal as the main) but does not support ARC or pass-through. There is only [edit: one] video processor, so as far as I know it is not possible to send different sources to the two HDMI outputs; likewise, the analog outputs show the same source, too. (This is how the TX-NR1008 works.)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 7:48:01 PM PDT
Jerome Bush says:
You sound more knowledgeable than I am, W. Price. I never use all the extras, but I know how to use the parts I DO use. Onkyo has always been a reasonably-priced, dependable receiver for me. By getting the same brand when I upgrade, I don't have to learn a whole lot. At 60-years-old, I don't have the time to learn a new system. Thanks for the input! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 10:18:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2012 10:19:10 AM PDT
T. Bock says:
I have a similar question to J. Wagstaff's. Are you able to watch one source (e.g., satellite), while listening to another source (e.g., CD player) in the same room? In other words, can you send one source video signal through the 717 to the TV while playing the sound from another source?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 10:31:18 AM PDT
W. Price says:
Generally, no.

You CANNOT split audio/video sources for the primary outputs. (Those are the... 7.2 amplified speaker outputs, pre-amp line outputs [if present], HDMI, digital PCM [e.g. optical], and analog [component, composite, etc.])

Whatever input is selected for the video, the audio goes with it.

Now, if your model features a Zone 2 or 3, then you can send a different audio source to those zones, but that requires giving up one or more stereo pairs of audio from the main channel. (E.g. using zone 2 will likely knock your 7.2 system down to a 5.2 system for zone 1 since the amplifiers are shared.) But zone 2/3 audio can only come from ANALOG sources (none of the optical/coax or HDMI inputs).

There is a little room for creativity there. You can dedicate two speakers to zone 2 if you're only interested in analog audio sources (e.g. an external CD player), but that's a little wasteful.

Another option is to use the audio return channel from the TV. If you're watching, say, off-the-air TV and your TV sends the audio back down the HDMI cable from the receiver, then you can choose to listen to the multi-channel audio from the TV *or* the stereo audio from the "CD" analog input.

Both options are complex, neither gives you a lot of flexibility, and in both cases you're pretty much limited to analog inputs. You might be better off seeing if you can use a secondary output from your source device(s) directly to the TV so you can switch TV inputs and then use the receiver for audio only during the times you need to split sources.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 10:42:30 AM PDT
Jerome Bush says:
Thanks, W. Price. Not really worth the trouble. One can only select one source at a time (except for zone 2).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 9:51:09 PM PDT
T. Bock says:
Many thanks, W. Price! I'm still running an ancient (non-video) Onkyo, and often enjoy playing a game while listening to a CD, which is easy when video isn't going through the receiver. :) Your last statement is what I was hoping was a last resort, but might end up the way to go, if I miss it enough. Thanks again!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›